The Great British riots

Gene_Clark

Just watching a talk with Mark Steyn, a journo who rattles on about problems with European society (HF you won't like him, he criticizes Islam). He was on about people being able to live in a state of permanent adolescence because they abdicate adult responsibilities to the state, aided in part by benefit culture. I'm confused. I'm just trying to ascertain why so many of these rioters haven't the slightest sense of morality. Again, perhaps there aren't as many rioters as shocking tv images suggest.

I hope Snoop straightens herself out, she has talent, but she has got to get the hell away from the drugs mann/

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rioters in Manchester and Salford have been told that they face being evicted from their council homes if they are identified on CCTV footage.

Both city councils have issued warnings that if any of their tenants or their children have been involved in violence or looting they will be "thrown out".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-14478498

http://nathanieltapley.com/2011/08/10/an-o...merons-parents/

Rioters in Manchester and Salford have been told that they face being evicted from their council homes if they are identified on CCTV footage.

Both city councils have issued warnings that if any of their tenants or their children have been involved in violence or looting they will be "thrown out".

See thats good thinking. Whether it would happen is another thing but at least it might make some of them think twice.

That was some speech from the bloke who lost his son.

Watching that man upset me more than anything else I've seen over the past week. His dignity was heartbreaking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-14478498

http://nathanieltapley.com/2011/08/10/an-o...merons-parents/

Nice idea in theory like but I don't think they have the power to evict people. They have to take the families in question to court etc. and there's the children's welfare to consider and so on and so forth, so with all the arguments you can see it turning out to be an empty threat. Also, what's the end solution even if they were evicted? Unscrupulous landlords taking up the slack and the taxpayer paying even more in the long run?

Edited by alex

That was some speech from the bloke who lost his son.

Watching that man upset me more than anything else I've seen over the past week. His dignity was heartbreaking.

Aye, absolutely awful but the strength he showed was just unbelievable.

It has been reported that a warehouse containing stock belonging to PIAS, one of the UK’s largest independent music distributors, was burnt down during rioting in London last night.

Here’s a full list of the record companies affected by the fire with sincere commiseration’s from all at Mixmag.

1234, 2020 Vision, Accidental, Ad Altiora, Adventures Close to home , Alberts , All City , Alt Delete, Ambush Reality, Angular, Ark, ATC, Atic, Atlantic Jaxx, Azuli, B Unique, Backyard, Bad Sneakers, Bandstock, Banquet, Beggars, Big Chill, Big Dada, Big Life / Nul / Sindy Stroker, Boombox, Border Community, Boysnoize, Brille, Bronzerat, Brownswood, Buzzin Fly, Can You Feel It, Catskills, ChannelFly, Chemikal Underground, City Rockers, Counter, D Cypher, Dance To The Radio, Deceptive, Def Jux, Dirtee Stank, Divine Comedy, Domino, Drag City, Drive Thru, Drowned in Sound, Duophonic, Eat Sleep / Sorepoint, Electric Toaster, Emfire, F. Comm, Fabric, Faith And Hope, Fantastic Plastic, Fargo, FatCat, Feraltone, Finders Keepers / Twisted Nerve, Fingerlickin’, Flock, Free Range, From The Basement, Full Time Hobby, Goldsoul, Gronland, Groove Attack, Halftime, Hassle ,Heron. Hum&Haw, Independiente, Info UK, Join Us, Kartel, Kensaltown, Kitsune, Kompakt, Laughing Stock, Leftroom, Lex, Lo Max, Loose, Love Box, Lowlife, Lucky Number, Marquis Cha Cha, Memphis Industries, Merok, Metroline, Mute, Naïve, Nation, Navigator. New World, Ninja Tune, Nuclear Blast ,One Little Indian, Output / People in the Sky / Process, Pale Blue, Palm, Peacefrog, PIAS Recordings, PIP 555 Productions, Play To Work, Powerhouse (T2), Propaganda / Ho Hum, Raw Canvas, Red Grape, Red Telephone Box, Rekids, Renaissance, Respect Productions (PES digital), Reveal Records, SMG, Rock Action, Roots, Rough Trade, Rough Trade Comps, Rubyworks, Ruffa Lane, Search And Destroy, Secret Sundaze, Secretly Canadian / Jagjaguwar / Dead Oceans, Sell Yourself, Setanta, Shatterproof, Sideone Dummy, Slam Dunk, Smalltown, Soma, Something In Construction, Sonar Kollectiv, Soul Jazz, Southern Fried, Stranded Soldier, Subliminal, Sunday Best, TARGO, Taste, Ten Worlds, Thrill Jockey, Total Fitness, Touch And Go, Track And Field, TriTone, Trouble, Try Harder, Turk, Turnstile, Twenty 20, Underworld, Union Square, Urban Torque, Vagrant, Vice, Victory, Wagram , Wall Of Sound, Warp, Wi45 , Wonky Atlas, Word And Sound, Xtra Mile, You Are Here.

http://www.mixmag.net/2011/08/09/pias-ware...royed-in-riots/

Small fry, relatively speaking but this, along with the impact on other small businesses etc. is also very sad imo.

you know wikipedia can be edited by anyone right? theres a reason its not allowed as a source in academics

No it can't, in many cases. A select few can edit certain entries - such as those of major cities - and they're all required to provide sources.

However the section on Mancunian accents being affected by immigration has no sources. It also states "could have been affected by the vast influx of immigrants introduced to the city during the Industrial Revolution" which is opretty wooly.

Davey Boy on his feet in the commons.

£20m package to help business get off their feet again and a payout for insurance for people even if they werent insured!!!

Lets hope these benefit sponging fuckers foot the bill and not people in the NHS etc!

Hello Rioters, Look at your Friend, now back 2 me, Now at your friend, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, But if he stopped using petrol bombs, And started using the Job centre he could potentially be me, Look down, Back up. Where are we? Your at an interview with the man your friend could work for. What’s in your hand? Back 2 me. I have it. It’s an application form to that job you need. Look again. The form is now money. Anything is possible when you get a job and stop looting. Im on a horse.

"Although people were glued to the news sites for updates on the unrest, it was Twitter which has benefited the most from traffic as a result of the unrest in London. The real-time sharing of information through Twitter has made the platform the ideal discussion platform to spread updates on major news events like the riots, and yesterday (8 August) was Twitter’s biggest ever spike in UK traffic online.

Twitter accounted for 1 in every 170 UK Internet visits yesterday; by our estimations there were over 3.4 million visits to the Twitter homepage from the UK population alone. To put that in context, Twitter received 15% more visits yesterday than it did around the super-injunctions scandal, the previous biggest spike in its UK history.

Somewhat unusually, the spike in traffic to Twitter was not repeated on other social media websites, especially Facebook. Looking at our postcode data helps to explain why this might be. Twitter is used widely across the UK but the most prolific Twitter users are located in London postcodes."

http://digital-stats.blogspot.com/2011/08/...er-british.html

I was as guilty as the next man for scoffing at twitter (Twatter etc.) when it was starting up, but it's bloody good when shit like this is going down. I hardly watched any of it on the news channels where the same pieces of video are recycled interminably for 24 hours a day.

Hello Rioters, Look at your Friend, now back 2 me, Now at your friend, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, But if he stopped using petrol bombs, And started using the Job centre he could potentially be me, Look down, Back up. Where are we? Your at an interview with the man your friend could work for. What’s in your hand? Back 2 me. I have it. It’s an application form to that job you need. Look again. The form is now money. Anything is possible when you get a job and stop looting. Im on a horse.

:lol:

Paddy & Murphy joined in the looting Argos on Monday. They are still waiting at collection point C.....

They broke into Ladbrokes and both lost £50 each!

They broke into McDonalds and cooked their own food!

Oh wait - that actually happened. :lol:

From the BBC

1417: Tory MP Mark Pawsey calls for help for owners of damaged vehicles who only have third-party insurance. Mr Cameron replies that uninsured businesses affected by the riots are getting help.

I don't agree with this at all. If they had 3PF&T then surely they're covered. If they '3rd party only' cover then surely this is a financial decision they made and they should deal with the consequences?

"Although people were glued to the news sites for updates on the unrest, it was Twitter which has benefited the most from traffic as a result of the unrest in London. The real-time sharing of information through Twitter has made the platform the ideal discussion platform to spread updates on major news events like the riots, and yesterday (8 August) was Twitter’s biggest ever spike in UK traffic online.

Twitter accounted for 1 in every 170 UK Internet visits yesterday; by our estimations there were over 3.4 million visits to the Twitter homepage from the UK population alone. To put that in context, Twitter received 15% more visits yesterday than it did around the super-injunctions scandal, the previous biggest spike in its UK history.

Somewhat unusually, the spike in traffic to Twitter was not repeated on other social media websites, especially Facebook. Looking at our postcode data helps to explain why this might be. Twitter is used widely across the UK but the most prolific Twitter users are located in London postcodes."

http://digital-stats.blogspot.com/2011/08/...er-british.html

I was as guilty as the next man for scoffing at twitter (Twatter etc.) when it was starting up, but it's bloody good when shit like this is going down. I hardly watched any of it on the news channels where the same pieces of video are recycled interminably for 24 hours a day.

Me too, best website on the internet by a mile if you sort through the many mugs and add the right people.