Sam Allardyce

Tooj

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Modric seems like an Allardyce type of player as well.

Modric signed for spurs the same week he, his agent and the chairman of Dinamo Zagreb were at SJP negotiating with Chris Mort and Dennis Wise, 3 months after Allardyce had been peddalled in mid January for his abysmal stone age football. Away at Wigan on boxing day that season remains the single worst performance from an Newcastle United side I'd seen at that point......unbeleiveably there's been 2 or 3 worse under Pardew :lol:

Next he will come out with that he met Ronaldo by chance at the airport and he asked him when he was going to come the Real Madrid to show them the magic before Messi intervened and said Barcelona must ditch Tikka takka football in favour of Allardyces long ball

Modric signed for spurs the same week he, his agent and the chairman of Dinamo Zagreb were at SJP negotiating with Chris Mort and Dennis Wise, 3 months after Allardyce had been peddalled in mid January for his abysmal stone age football. Away at Wigan on boxing day that season remains the single worst performance from an Newcastle United side I'd seen at that point......unbeleiveably there's been 2 or 3 worse under Pardew :lol:

The Wigan match was my first boxing day away game. Well worth the trip :lol:

I heard about all that at the time. He was basically all set to sign and Ashley wouldn't cough up the fee / wages and it was the beginning of the souring of KK's relationship with him because he'd been sold on coming back on the basis he had plenty money available for players.

It was something like half a million we missed out on Modric by in the end wasn't it?

Following which Spurs rocketed off into the champions league and we got relegated...over simplification I know but still

It was something like half a million we missed out on Modric by in the end wasn't it?

Following which Spurs rocketed off into the champions league and we got relegated...over simplification I know but still

And sold him for a nice, fat profit to Real Madrid as well (which Ashley must kick himself about too). The daft thing about the whole Wise debacle was that one he's clearly an absolutely shite judge of players. Whereas spotting good players was always one of Keegan's great strengths as a manager.

• 4 months later...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/these-football-times/2015/mar/04/praise-sam-allardyce-manager-bolton-wanderers-premier-league?CMP=share_btn_tw

decent read, and a reminder that that bolton team he managed had some canny players - mostly 30 something foreigners looking for a final pay day - who surpassed expectations.

what it fails to mention is the awful football you associate with "big sam" is a stereotype for a reason. he did well at bolton but he was an awful manager for us, just awful.

Edited by Dr Gloom

They finished sixth once - a fine achievement for Bolton but he always talks as if such positions were the norm.

still fancy him to take over at madrid after ancelotti stands down

They finished sixth once - a fine achievement for Bolton but he always talks as if such positions were the norm.

They finished top 8 in each of his last four seasons there. Not that I like him at all but he had achieved a way of playing which consistently got good results at Bolton. Spent a canny bit of money too though, especially on wages. I think he's a fraud in the sense he tries to convince people he could adapt the way he plays. He was pretty one-dimensional at Bolton. The first half of this season at West Ham they've played some good football but he'd have been playing with Carroll as a target man all season if he'd been fit so you have to wonder how much of that is down to him and how much it's a one-off.

West Ham lad said the same to me the other day Carroll and Nolan were injured at the start of the season so downing was played in behind another striker (name escapes me) and the football was good to watch and results encouraging. Carroll and Nolan return to fitness they're both straight back in, Downing is shifted out wide and we know the rest. That's why the hammers lads all want him out after they got twatted in the cup. Nothing will change as long as he's there, but it also looks like Allardyce isn't getting a new contract anyway??

my west ham mate says exactly the same stuff we used to say about nolan - good finisher but a passenger when he isn't scoring. nothing new there then.

I still don't understand how he gets away with his shite about being progressive....he might have 100 back room staff and 20 prozone analysts but to me his football is backward and by and large dreadful to watch. He's come out with shitty comments about us since he left and our "expectations" I can't stand him and think he's a charlatan.