The Search for a Striker........Chapter 11

Christmas Tree

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like we're definitely in for him... As Stevie says, never heard of him. Presumably going to the ANC.

Skysports.com

Modibo Maiga is refusing to play for Sochaux in order to force through a move to Newcastle United.

Newcastle have made a bid for the Malian international, which is understood to be in the region of €8million (£7million).

However, Sochaux are refusing to do business, which has angered the 23-year-old and he refused to play in the weekend's defeat to Caen.

Maiga has now told Sochaux that he does not want to play for them again and wants to join Newcastle.

He has been offered a new contract by Sochaux, but that only happened after Newcastle made their move.

"Yes [they have made me an offer], but before the Newcastle offer I have not been offered anything, but now I would like the chairman to consider my interest. I want to leave.

"I met everyone at Newcastle. They want me and it is not just any club. Premier League is a dream.

"That is the kind of game I like, it suits me and it is good for my career. I want to leave, he has to accept that and negotiate.

"I told the coach I would play and respect my contract, but the chairman has to talk about my transfer first. I don't want to annoy Sochaux, but I want it to be sorted out with Newcastle."

Not happy

Maiga is not happy that the initial offer was rejected, and he has told Sochaux of his displeasure.

"Offers have now come for me and the chairman refused to talk," Maiga, who scored 15 goals last season, told L'Equipe.

"I had a meeting with him and I could not accept his position, it is just like a big slap in the face.

"It was the very first time I asked for something and I believe it is lack of respect. Why refusing to talk? It is selfish, I can't understand.

"You can't refuse such an offer. The sums are huge, both for me and for the club. Sochaux will not lose."

Maiga, who can play out wide or up front, only joined Sochaux last year when he moved from Le Mans and he was hugely impressive in his first season finishing as one of the top scorers in France.

I find this a bit confusing. If the Chairman has rejected our offer out of hand, why would he give us permission to meet with the player and discuss terms? Unless the rules are different for clubs abroad?

I find this a bit confusing. If the Chairman has rejected our offer out of hand, why would he give us permission to meet with the player and discuss terms? Unless the rules are different for clubs abroad?

Who said that we had permission?

This lad seems a bit of a weapon actually - Genuinely doesn't seem to understand the concept of a contract.

HBA and Ba (to Stoke/WHam) also went on strike to push through a move.

Who said that we had permission?

Well that's the point. If we didn't have permission, he's dropping us in it

Sochaux's striker Maiga refused to played against Caen this saturday and was no present to the training sunday morning. Today he said to "L'Equipe" that he wants to be a Toons.

Also saw that MU offered us Macheda and Diouf on loan (Daily Mail)

Sochaux's striker Maiga refused to played against Caen this saturday and was no present to the training sunday morning. Today he said to "L'Equipe" that he wants to be a Toons.

By your English, I take it you're French, Mal?

If so, what's this Maiga like?

You got me ! ^^

Maiga did a good 10/11 Ligue 1, scored 15 goals with Sochaux (5th). With Ideye Brown and Marvin Martin they were a terrible offensive.

Modibo Maiga is athletic, technical and good finisher. Kind of Demba Ba but better !

8M€ for signing him its a good deal i think.

Edited by malcolmdj

Never heard of him before today. Has anyone?

Tbh if it come to the end of the window and we got 1 or 2 of Sturridge, Macheda and Diouf on loan then i'd be happy enough with that.

Would have to have a set future fee though. Otherwise all we are doing is improving and putting them in the shop window.

Tbh if it come to the end of the window and we got 1 or 2 of Sturridge, Macheda and Diouf on loan then i'd be happy enough with that.

Would have to have a set future fee though. Otherwise all we are doing is improving and putting them in the shop window.

LUNATIC!

Guest Your Name Here
on strike sound familiar, going be funny at the end of the season when half our team do it looking to leave ;)

hope they put him in his place, this whole going on strike stuff is getting ridiculous, signed a contract so tough. (we'd say the same if one of our lot pulled it)

Aye, we’d go ape shit if Tiote went on strike to get a move.

NUFC’s reputation in the football fraternity must be mud.

You got me ! ^^

Maiga did a good 10/11 Ligue 1, scored 15 goals with Sochaux (5th). With Ideye Brown and Marvin Martin they were a terrible offensive.

Modibo Maiga is athletic, technical and good finisher. Kind of Demba Ba but better !

8M€ for signing him its a good deal i think.

Merci, Mal ;) Listen very carefully, I will say this only once: On that recommendation I say we sign him!

I think Sturridge would do fantastically well for us but I'd be massively disappointed (but not surprised) if we ended up with either of the other two on their own.

But either way I'll be disapointed massively when we spend fuck all of the £35m we got for Carroll. Again not surprised though.