Steve Harper

Tooj

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I and you have been happy to have him on the bench but forget this loyalty nonesense.He's been paid ( maybe £25,000 ) to sit on his backside on a matchday .Don't forget,for periods he's been our number 3 keeper,and has watched home games from the stands.I would think whist he was number 3 keeper,he wouldn't have needed to travel to away games either,so cut out the testimonial crap.

Model professional, always did the job when needed. Wish him all the best for the future.

As for him being ambitionless etc, we dont know the reasons for him staying here despite never being first choice. I think he's been on the cusp of becoming a first team player a few times, just never happened for him. It may well be he truly wished to make it here and believed one day he would do so. Anyway, who really gives a shit considering the great servant he's been for us and a no doubt a top professional to have around the dressing room.

There was a time when footballers wanted to play.Harper is not from this period,and for £25,000 a week,i would do the same.I'm happy he's done it because when he has been called upon,he has rarely let us down,but he has only shown loyalty to himself.I'm sure he could have moved on for regular football,but he's decided £25,000 a week and very little football has suited him. If this warrants a testimonial then you go and get a ticket for the game,but don't get me one.

There was a time when footballers wanted to play.Harper is not from this period,and for £25,000 a week,i would do the same.I'm happy he's done it because when he has been called upon,he has rarely let us down,but he has only shown loyalty to himself.I'm sure he could have moved on for regular football,but he's decided £25,000 a week and very little football has suited him. If this warrants a testimonial then you go and get a ticket for the game,but don't get me one.

tumblr_lkf6khPV6X1qiz3j8o1_400.gif

Now I know you're a wind-up merchant.

Hope he gets 3 more first team appearances to complete his 200th games for United. :nufc:

Not sure I can see that happening if he's leaving at the end of the season. We don't have any non-important games... shame like, it's kinda like the end of an era. I've not a bad word to say about him, always been a model professional. Also always been impressed by his sportsmanship on the field - always helping other players to their feet etc.

He's been as good an understudy as you could wish for,and like i said,he has rarely let us down.There is no such thing as loyalty in football.If a player decides to sign a contract,it's because it suits him.No player has to leave a club if he's under contract.Harper has signed a number of contracts in his 20 years with us.Every contract suited him.Loyalty has never come into it.He's never been our number one keeper during this period yet has signed on the dotted line everytime.I have nothing against the lad .He comes across as a canny enough lad,and if he gets a coaching job then well done.

Probably guaranteed a coaching role at the club when he hangs up his gloves. Would be a good thing too.

Wasn't there talk a while back that he'd fallen out with Pardew or the hierarchy, hence Elliot's promotion to the bench?

He's been as good an understudy as you could wish for,and like i said,he has rarely let us down.There is no such thing as loyalty in football.If a player decides to sign a contract,it's because it suits him.No player has to leave a club if he's under contract.Harper has signed a number of contracts in his 20 years with us.Every contract suited him.Loyalty has never come into it.He's never been our number one keeper during this period yet has signed on the dotted line everytime.I have nothing against the lad .He comes across as a canny enough lad,and if he gets a coaching job then well done.

:lol:

Well he was definitely our first choice in the Championship, he was also 1st choice when Given was stropping over his contract under Robson.

The man definitely had the option to fuck off when we were relegated, He could have joined stoke (or whomever) and been on more than £25k, I'm sure he could have joined Birmingham for more money as well.

You're talking utter, utter shit.

:lol:

Well he was definitely our first choice in the Championship, he was also 1st choice when Given was stropping over his contract under Robson.

The man definitely had the option to fuck off when we were relegated, He could have joined stoke (or whomever) and been on more than £25k, I'm sure he could have joined Birmingham for more money as well.

You're talking utter, utter shit.

The stick Harper gets is utterly baffling.

Fact is all teams need a back up keeper, all teams pay for a backup keeper, we have had a quality one for many years, not had to try and sign players who knew they wouldn't be starters/be a bit shit so we have to sign another, then another etc..

As with all footballers, he has been paid very well but thank fuck he decided to stay as long as he has. I have seen many back up keepers, even for Man U etc.. who have been utter clowns so Harper being "unambitious" has been a godsend for us.