Favourite Fish & Chips?

Tooj

Starbeck Chippy used to be mint btw. Not been in a while though.

Aye it's top notch, best one in Ryton/Crawcrook/Prudda by a mile.

I meant the one in Sandyford (Starbeck Avenue). No idea if it's still there even.

Ah aye, been there when I used to work in Jesmond, it was alright, I'm thinking of StarGATE which is at the top of Ryton.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think with all the fatties in Scotland they'd have some decent chippies but everyone I've been to has been awful, the blue lagoon in Glasgow possibly the worst chippy on earth. Honestly give Gormans Cowgate a chance you won't go to another chippy ever.

http://www.anstrutherfishbar.co.uk/

Best fish and chips I have had in Britain

Best Fish and chips I ever had was in Cambria in California.

Can't remember the name of it but the best chippy I've ever been to was in Whitby

The Magpie?

Trenchers?

Is Trencher's the one a bit further along, that's sort of posh inside? If so, I've been and the food is quality.

The Harbour Chippy at Amble is fantastic, decent portions and fresh fish with a nice batter. Wen to Pinnacles a month or so ago, it was ok but not superb.

No top notch chippy's in the Cramlington locale - the one at Annistford is possibly the best of a poor choice. If we are having fish I would head for the coast although Gorman's seems popular on here. They always taste nicer at somewhere like Whitby or Scarborough sitting by the sea.

Can't remember the name of it but the best chippy I've ever been to was in Whitby

The Magpie?

Trenchers?

Is Trencher's the one a bit further along, that's sort of posh inside? If so, I've been and the food is quality.

It is, aye. More of a sit-down than a take-away. It's opposite the station iirc.

The Royal and The Quayside are the other award winning ones in Whitby.

• 3 months later...

Attention London lot: Had a hankering for haddock and chips for a few days now, and i'll be about in Central fer ages tomorrow so does anyone know any decent chippy's around? I appreciate that being from the town that makes the greatest fish and chips bar none with daylight being second it's not gonna live up to the quality i'm used to but any that are even average will do me, none of this cod shite either, what the fuck is all that about!?

Attention London lot: Had a hankering for haddock and chips for a few days now, and i'll be about in Central fer ages tomorrow so does anyone know any decent chippy's around? I appreciate that being from the town that makes the greatest fish and chips bar none with daylight being second it's not gonna live up to the quality i'm used to but any that are even average will do me, none of this cod shite either, what the fuck is all that about!?

The ones in Central London are all absolutely wank, and I mean wank. There's a good one in Blackheath though and a goodun in Fulham but obviously that's out your way. If there's black people selling them the rule is they'll be utter shite, and that's not racist it's a fact.

Aye I thought as much, cheers anyway like, I don't get how the capital can do one of our national dishes so shit. I went to this place in Uxbridge in like September and I couldn't believe how bad they were, I mean i'd heard bad rumours but fuck me. Back home next week anyway like so i'll just save myself fer then.

You're unlikely to find a decent one central.

Cracking one up Chalk Farm called, Oscars (I think) and the Clapham Fish Club is top notch, but both a bit out of the way.

Cheers lads :good: appreciate the tips, even for January when i'm back at uni, if i'm bored one day i'll just purposely get to one. One in Chalk Farm sounds a good 'un as i'm in Camden quite a bit so that's just a stones throw away. Sucks being out west because it's such a pain getting about like!

Sea Shells on Lisson Grove, Baker St or Edgeware Rd tube. Expensive (£12 ish) but good. There's an excellent one in Covent Garden called Rock and Sole Plaice. Again expensive.

Portions for an Ethiopian and nee batter nee good.

sitty in at The Waterfront on N Shields Quay is a solid 9/10 every time. Cooked fresh everytime. Bowl of batter on the side.

The takeaway can be iffy.

Did it used to be Christensen's Alan? That was always me favourite non Newcastle chippy.

I will admit to something here, I've mentioned before I worked in Sunderland for four years, the chippy beside Doxford Park Morrisons was fuckin belta!

Cheers lads :good: appreciate the tips, even for January when i'm back at uni, if i'm bored one day i'll just purposely get to one. One in Chalk Farm sounds a good 'un as i'm in Camden quite a bit so that's just a stones throw away. Sucks being out west because it's such a pain getting about like!

There's a place called Micky's off Praed Street in Paddington. It's good and pretty reasonable. As featured on Heston's Blumeywatsits in search of perfection (according to the sign on the door).

You're unlikely to find a decent one central.

Cracking one up Chalk Farm called, Oscars (I think) and the Clapham Fish Club is top notch, but both a bit out of the way.

Olivers. Most middle-class chippy on earth. They cook the fish to order so be prepared to wait for it to arrive but they usually do a good job of it. Don't expect much change from a tenner.