#Bring back the scarves

Christmas Tree

Newcastle United fans have not finished celebrating the fantastic 1-0 derby win over Sunderland yet - but they are already planning how to help extend the Toon's great start to the season in the home game with Fulham.

Of course there's the potential banana skin trip to Scunthorpe first, but the concept of filling St James' Park with scarves in the style of Alan Shearer's testimonial has got fans excited via the social networking tool Twitter over the weekend.

Anybody who was at Shearer's big night back in May 2006 will never forget just what an occasion it was and how effective the operation can be.

:thup:That night St James' Park was jumping and afterwards I remember interviewing players who were simply taken aback by the atmosphere and the flag swirling.

Les Ferdinand said at the time "Do that every other week and it will frighten the life out of the opposition", while Peter Ramage was almost lost for words having played in the game.

There's no doubt the current crop of players would also love to see St James' Park in full swing when Fulham visit Tyneside - can the Cottagers also be blown away by the scarves?

Of course there are many fans that are still concerned/angry/confused about how the club is being run and many have valid concerns too.

Yet in the home game with Arsenal and the away game at Sunderland the backing to the team has been 100% so far - something not lost on new players at the club such as Yohan Cabaye who commented he'd seen "nothing like this" in his football career so far.

Nobody is attempting to paper over any cracks here given what has been a questionable summer when it comes to transfers but when the volume of Tweets and emails has been like it has, it's impossible to ignore.

The club are now aware of #bringbackthescarves and it will be interesting to see how it pans out over the week...

Watch this space.

Is this something thats taking off on Twitter?

It's planned for the game against Spurs, by all accounts.

No need to plan anything iyam, just do it. I thought it was a great sight and when I used to go I enjoyed a bit of a twirl when we scored :lol: Couldn't give a fuck what anyone else thought, I thought it looked great and I would have loved it to have become our 'thing'.

Edited by snakehips

No need to plan anything iyam, just do it. I thought it was a great sight and when I used to go I enjoyed a bit of a twirl when we scored :razz: Couldn't give a fuck what anyone else thought, I thought it looked great and I would have loved it have become our 'thing'.

Agree. I'm not a fan of 'engineered support'. I have a black & white scarf from the 80s (Got it in a set with a towel and flat cap) so I'll have to do a CT and climb up into the loft and find it .... :lol:

I hope we have a decent gate against Fulham after the lads put in a shift down Wearyside.

I imagine your scarves are an assortment of colours for your naked scarf dance on Northumberland Street on a wednesday evening? Correct ....

No need to plan anything iyam, just do it. I thought it was a great sight and when I used to go I enjoyed a bit of a twirl when we scored :nufc: Couldn't give a fuck what anyone else thought, I thought it looked great and I would have loved it have become our 'thing'.

Agree. I'm not a fan of 'engineered support'. I have a black & white scarf from the 80s (Got it in a set with a towel and flat cap) so I'll have to do a CT and climb up into the loft and find it .... :razz:

I hope we have a decent gate against Fulham after the lads put in a shift down Wearyside.

I imagine your scarves are an assortment of colours for your naked scarf dance on Northumberland Street on a wednesday evening? Correct ....

I have to be in the house every night after 7pm. Ever since the unfortunate night with the nuns outside Maccy D's :lol:

Who would take a scarf in August?

'Silk' scarf ffs. A la 70's/80's off the wrist number :lol: When it gets a bit colder, the wooly scars, or a muffler perhaps, can be brought out.

Gok Kwan (or whatever he's called - eat yer fucking heart out!)

Apart from the silk scarfs, why not get a black & white tartan kilt out for the summer months, get a bit of fresh air to the legs? (Taches can be grown at the wearers discretion)

:lol::razz: Imagine all the horrific 'upshots' SO would be posting.

Dont like the idea like when the club give them out, but I do think it better when there are a lot of them plus banners etc. Adds to the atmosphere. We should hold them aloft while singing (the wrong words) blaydon races. Would be good to see it again, but I can't imagine it taking off. If people around the ground done it every time that was sang for example, it may catch on. Slim chance though.

ALAN PARDEW has backed the Toon Army’s Bring Back The Scarves campaign ahead of tomorrow’s Premier League clash with Fulham.

The Toon boss had special praise for the hardcore support who made the journey to Scunthorpe for United’s televised clash with the Iron after they helped roar Newcastle on to a narrow victory.

Now, as Newcastle look to equal a club record – set in the 1902/03 season – of three top- flight clean sheets out of the first three games, Pardew feels the campaign by fans can help to the trick.

Pardew told the Chronicle: “I think it is a great idea – I hope that is carried through.

“I will look forward to that and I might don one myself.

“They can make St James’ Park a real fortress.”

Fanzine editor Steve Wraith has also thrown weight behind the idea.

He said: “It would be great to see everybody bring their scarf and turn St James’ Park into a truly spectacular scene.

“This would blow the new players away too.”

In addition to the scarves, United will also welcome two very special guests to Gallowgate for the clash with the Cottagers.

Firstly John Shiel, who is United’s oldest living player (born 1917) and still residing in Seahouses, will be attending with his son David.

Secondly, Matt Gallacher, son of the legendary Hughie, who is visiting from South Africa.

Pardew added: “Even though I am not from the region I know all about the legend who is Hughie Gallacher and as such having Matt with us tomorrow is a pleasure.

“For John, 94 years old and still going strong, that is just fantastic”

St James' was class lookin the night of Shearers testimonial, that sort of attmosphere and noise wud scare the shit out of opposin players,

Turn St James' back in2 a fortress

St James' was class lookin the night of Shearers testimonial, that sort of attmosphere and noise wud scare the shit out of opposin players,

I agree. It's easy to be cynical about this sort of thing, but anything that helps restore a cracking atmosphere is worth a shot.

Nah, the club should distribute a set of accounts to every season ticket holder, to wave vigorously above their heads whilst the announcer reads out selected highlights from the balance sheet :D

My mate started it on Twitter, he's been on legends and also in the Chronicle for it. I will taking my scarf along tomorrow. Hope everyone else does too!

My last scarf was probably in the 70's or 80's and I think it was a yellow number with longish tassles. Im going to buy a couple tomorrow and hope that it takes off.