Arsenal and Ethnic Fans

wykikitoon

Why does Arsenal have such a large following of black & ethnic fans?

On my commute home last night I cycled past 4 black lads at different points and I noticed all had Arsenal tops on. It then occured to me, you see a lot of black and ethnic fans following Arsenal.

Why?

Arsenal's fan base reflects the club's catchment area. One of the most ethnically diverse parts of the country innit.

But I'm in Leeds init?

theyve had quite a lot of black players under wengers tenure. maybe a mixture of glory supporting and identifying with the role models at the club?

Arsenal's fan base reflects the club's catchment area. One of the most ethnically diverse parts of the country innit.

But I'm in Leeds init?

Well that's just glory supporters. Same down here with all the man u shirts you see young kids wearing

That's wrong I think otherwise West Ham and Millwall would have many ethnic fans and they probably make up less than 5% of their football.

There's something about Arsenal that attracts them, and I don't just think it's because of ethnic role models, all teams have black players. Arsenal's down the years have been more iconic than most though with the likes of Ian Wright and Thierry Henry but I think it's more to do with the culture of Arsenal.

Most of the other London clubs are more tribal, Arsenal have always been generic and have always in my time watching football had the most lifeless, passionless fans in English football, even in the height of football passion in the late 80's they were winning titles and it still got the name the Highbury library. This made Arsenal an attractive proposition for Indian, black and muslim supporters because of the nature of the club, the placid way of the support, and the upper class profile of the fanbase comparatively speaking, I mean for fuck sake could you imagine someone with a turban sitting in the Chicken Run at West Ham in the late 80's. Yes it's the nature of the club that is the reason for this, and now 90% of ethnics support Arsenal which is why I would suggest that they have double the fanbase of anyone else in London, they do as well.

That's wrong I think otherwise West Ham and Millwall would have many ethnic fans and they probably make up less than 5% of their football.

There's something about Arsenal that attracts them, and I don't just think it's because of ethnic role models, all teams have black players. Arsenal's down the years have been more iconic than most though with the likes of Ian Wright and Thierry Henry but I think it's more to do with the culture of Arsenal.

Most of the other London clubs are more tribal, Arsenal have always been generic and have always in my time watching football had the most lifeless, passionless fans in English football, even in the height of football passion in the late 80's they were winning titles and it still got the name the Highbury library. This made Arsenal an attractive proposition for Indian, black and muslim supporters because of the nature of the club, the placid way of the support, and the upper class profile of the fanbase comparatively speaking, I mean for fuck sake could you imagine someone with a turban sitting in the Chicken Run at West Ham in the late 80's. Yes it's the nature of the club that is the reason for this, and now 90% of ethnics support Arsenal which is why I would suggest that they have double the fanbase of anyone else in London, they do as well.

Think Wenger has a lot to do with it as well (not just the bloke himself but the culture / players he has brought it) as everybody hated them before he came along.

Think Wenger has a lot to do with it as well (not just the bloke himself but the culture / players he has brought it) as everybody hated them before he came along.

Aye I think there is that too, it's a good point to be fair. It removed the Englishness of Arsenal, who were stoically British on the pitch under George Graham.

However, it's far from the only factor, I mind my first visit to Highbury in 1993, there were more rolled up Guardian's and turbans than what I what class as proper football fans even then.

Aye I think there is that too, it's a good point to be fair. It removed the Englishness of Arsenal, who were stoically British on the pitch under George Graham.

However, it's far from the only factor, I mind my first visit to Highbury in 1993, there were more rolled up Guardian's and turbans than what I what class as proper football fans even then.

Aye, I meant in addition to what you'd said. Nick Hornby (thought Fever Pitch was alright in parts tbf as well) sums them up.

Aye, I meant in addition to what you'd said. Nick Hornby (thought Fever Pitch was alright in parts tbf as well) sums them up.

Absolutely he does. Even the film Fever Pitch itself they don't look that happy when Thomas makes it 2-0, I'd be jumping out of the flat window. He's a snobby cunt from Berkshire who receives far more accolades than he should.

Couple of things

I've read over the years regarding this...Dougie and Eddie Brimson's book 'Capital Punishment' states that although back in the 80s Arsenal certainly had a hooligan following, it comparatively very small compared with the likes of West Ham, Millwall,Chelsea and Spurs. Phil King's novel 'The Football Factory' says that what firm they did have was mostly black kids from Finsbury Park and Hackney. Thats the opinion of those writers obviously but it may give a flavour of the clubs following back then. Arsenal also had 3 cracking black players in the mid to late 80s in Paul Davis, David Rocastle and Michael Thomas. We had Tony Cunningham. Go figure ;-)

Couple of things

I've read over the years regarding this...Dougie and Eddie Brimson's book 'Capital Punishment' states that although back in the 80s Arsenal certainly had a hooligan following, it comparatively very small compared with the likes of West Ham, Millwall,Chelsea and Spurs. Phil King's novel 'The Football Factory' says that what firm they did have was mostly black kids from Finsbury Park and Hackney. Thats the opinion of those writers obviously but it may give a flavour of the clubs following back then. Arsenal also had 3 cracking black players in the mid to late 80s in Paul Davis, David Rocastle and Michael Thomas. We had Tony Cunningham. Go figure ;-)

Are you for real :lol: Dougie Bimson pmsl

They also describe Sheffield as being the most passionate football city in the country.

Couple of things

They also describe Sheffield as being the most passionate football city in the country.

Well yeah I'd disagree with parts of what theyve written myself,but they did research their books by talking to those who were there at the time. And Eddie did run with the main Chelsea mob in the early 80s. You're basing your opinion on this on what youve found yourself about Arsenals support and thats all their books are, a fans view. And we all come at these things with different experiances,angles and predjudices. So I think what they say is as valid as anyone else, especially as neither me or you are likely to have first hand knowledge of the London hooligan scene back then.

Couple of things

Well yeah I'd disagree with parts of what theyve written myself,but they did research their books by talking to those who were there at the time. And Eddie did run with the main Chelsea mob in the early 80s. You're basing your opinion on this on what youve found yourself about Arsenals support and thats all their books are, a fans view. And we all come at these things with different experiances,angles and predjudices. So I think what they say is as valid as anyone else, especially as neither me or you are likely to have first hand knowledge of the London hooligan scene back then.

You're right in some regards, however I don't respect their views at all. I completely dismiss the notion that they were and are in any way clued up. The best thing about most of their books is that largely they're posting pieces sent in to them from various hooligans around the country. The pair of them strike me as a pair of middle class wankers jumping on the football hooli-book culture. I mean his account of Euro 2000, was like a Stephen Fry diary of a week in Provence, only less funny, and lets be honest when have fucking Watford ever had a firm? A few dafties turn out when they play Luton and that's it.

Don't know what what it brings to the debate, but remember our bus driving near Highbury on the day of the Hillsborough disaster and we saw a black Arsenal fan boddy popping in an old fashioned phone box much to everyones amazement and amusement, I don't honestly think I'd seen many genuine blacks at the time and being small minded provincials the whole bus started giving the monkey chants and having a good laugh to which the Arsenal kid laughed back and did this body popping move which ended with him giving us the finger to which he got a roar of laughter and a standing ovation off us. Different times though. :wub:

I have not had a look at what other people have said on here but my guess would be down to the fact they have a lot of nationalities in their team?

When we played them a couple of weeks back, there was a group of Chinese fans, couple of them thought they were fucking massive calling the toon fans wankers and the sort until people started singing "show us your visa." Not even joking, they shut up within seconds of that starting :lol:

I have not had a look at what other people have said on here but my guess would be down to the fact they have a lot of nationalities in their team?

When we played them a couple of weeks back, there was a group of Chinese fans, couple of them thought they were fucking massive calling the toon fans wankers and the sort until people started singing "show us your visa. " Not even joking, they shut up within seconds of that starting :wub:

Quality chant. :blush: :blush:

At least Morcambe Bay wasn't mentioned.

When we played them a couple of weeks back, there was a group of Chinese fans, couple of them thought they were fucking massive calling the toon fans wankers and the sort until people started singing "show us your visa. " Not even joking, they shut up within seconds of that starting :wub:

Quality chant. :blush::blush:

You still at the games stevie lad?

Aye Bawan back of LL4 now, you've stolen our seats :up::blush: I miss Level 7 after just one game, was sat front row of the balcony. I seen you say you got a st there this season. We could do with yous singin for 90 mins tbh.

I mentioned in the riot thread that a lad I worked with who was from Deptford told me how a lot of South London was pretty segregated and he's a Millwall fan - I'd presume a lot of their fans were from the white estates around the old ground.

West Ham and towards the east is more Asian than black - and as you say I can't imagine West Ham or Millwall being that welcoming to either Blacks or Asians from the 70s/80s on.

I think Arsenal have traditionally attracted a lot of "posher" people for London - maybe from the areas of North London with money - as well as quite a few Irish and Greeks because of the fair number of those in and around North London as well.

I still think of Tottenham as having the most black fans in London - though I could be wrong.

Aye Bawan back of LL4 now, you've stolen our seats :up::blush: I miss Level 7 after just one game, was sat front row of the balcony. I seen you say you got a st there this season. We could do with yous singin for 90 mins tbh.

Oh right I see, atmosphere is alright up there tbh, am right next to the away fans too. Stupid idea taking up a chunk of the seats up there to put a black banner to separate the fans, dont they just normally have the police there?

whats the atmosphere like where you are now?

Did you have a look at what I posted on twitter thread?