2011 Rugby World Cup Thread

StevenL

Only 16 days, 14 hours to go, so I thought I'd make you all a thread to keep you updated. No need to thank me.

CleeToonFan, you're not allowed to post. Rugby fans (me) are too thick and you'll just end up confusing us (me.)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Englands 30 man squad was announced at the beginning of the week, here it is:

Forwards: (17)

Props: Dan Cole (Leicester) Alex Corbisiero (London Irish) Andrew Sheridan (Sale) Matt Stevens (Saracens) David Wilson (Bath)

Hookers: Dylan Hartley (Northampton) Lee Mears (Bath) Steve Thompson (Wasps)

Locks: Louis Deacon (Leicester) Courtney Lawes (Northampton) Tom Palmer (Stade Francais) Simon Shaw (unattached)

Back row: Tom Croft (Leicester) Nick Easter (Harlequins) James Haskell (Ricoh Black Rams) Lewis Moody (Bath) Tom Wood (Northampton)

Backs: (13)

Full-backs/wings: Delon Armitage (London Irish) Ben Foden (Northampton) Chris Ashton (Northampton) Mark Cueto (Sale)

Centres: Matt Banahan (Bath) Shontayne Hape (London Irish) Mike Tindall (Gloucester) Manu Tuilagi (Leicester)

Fly-halves: Toby Flood (Leicester) Jonny Wilkinson (Toulon)

Scrum-halves: Joe Simpson (Wasps) Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens) Ben Youngs (Leicester)

Pretty fucking stupid taking 3 scrum halves when Foden can play there. No way should Joe Simpson be in that squad ahead of Riki Flutey, an inside centre who at a push could also play scrum half. Banahan and Hape aren't good enough centres for England, Fluety and Tuilagi in the centres would have been very interesting to watch and I'm convinced it wouls have worked. Anyway, in honour of Deano, here's my starting XV for the game against Argentina.

-- Sheridan -- Hartley -- Cole --

----- Laws ----------- Palmer --

Croft --------------------------Moody

----------Easter/Haskell -----------

-------------- Youngs ----------------

-------------------- Wilkinson ------------

-------------------------------------- Flood/Hape --------- Tindall

Cueto ---------------------------------- Foden -------------------------- Ashton

My prediction, we'll win our group, beat France in the 1/4 finals then get put out in the Semis by Australia, who will then lose to NZ in the final. We'll get beat off South Africa in the 3rd place play-off. It could have been so much different with Fluety. :wub:

after being down at the Ireland v france game i'm happy we'll be considered underdogs again :wub:

it's when BoD and co do their best work.

Nice of you to bring an Irish perspective to this, I had a feeling every post was gonna be about England. :blush:

no chance you'll beat france imo :wub:

Ireland will probably get runner-up in the group and then play S.A

looking more forward to the six nations if i'm honest, more banter with my welsh friends and such

when are England due to meet France?...not in the group stages.....

10/09 - 13:00 Scotland - Romania Invercargill

10/09 - 20:30 Argentina - England Dunedin

14/09 - 19:30 Scotland - Georgia Invercargill

17/09 - 15:30 Argentina - Romania Invercargill

18/09 - 18:00 England - Georgia Dunedin

24/09 - 18:00 England - Romania Dunedin

25/09 - 20:30 Argentina - Scotland Wellington

28/09 - 19:30 Georgia - Romania Palmerston North

01/10 - 20:30 England - Scotland Auckland

02/10 - 13:00 Argentina - Georgia Palmerston North

So you're saying England will get through this group?....theyre still woefully inconsistent, even the 3-times-beaten-in-the-warm-ups Ireland could beat them ona good day, despite half the Irish team drawing a pension nowadays :blush:

Looking forward to the world cup, but a little less so now that Johnson has lost the plot and dropped Flutey the only real creative centre and taken Hape who i have no idea what purpose he serves. Wouldn't wish anything bad on the guy, but if Hape just picked up enough of an injury to have to drop out and Flutey got in we'd be so much the better for it.

England have a strange position (if what i read ages ago is right) that if we win our group we'll be playing New Zealand pretty quickly, which in their own back yard you really don't want, meaning it could be better to not win the group!

As for who'll win it, it'll be one of New Zealand, South Africa, England or the aussies, it always is when it comes down to the big tournament.

My err "cousin"* Chris is playing in his 4th world cup for Scotland. Ner ner ner ner ner :blush:

* Well, I say cousin....we have a mutual ancestor from sometime around 1900 :blush::wub:

Looking forward to the world cup, but a little less so now that Johnson has lost the plot and dropped Flutey the only real creative centre and taken Hape who i have no idea what purpose he serves. Wouldn't wish anything bad on the guy, but if Hape just picked up enough of an injury to have to drop out and Flutey got in we'd be so much the better for it.

England have a strange position (if what i read ages ago is right) that if we win our group we'll be playing New Zealand pretty quickly, which in their own back yard you really don't want, meaning it could be better to not win the group!

As for who'll win it, it'll be one of New Zealand, South Africa, England or the aussies, it always is when it comes down to the big tournament.

Aye, really going out on a limb there mate :wub:

Theres only been 6 world cups, SA and the Aussies have won 2 each...SA have only competed in 4 due to aparthied so am going for them...the Afrikaaners have a winning mentality that NZ lack if you ask me. And the pressure NZ be under in the modern media age (87 was basically the stone age when it comes to coverage) in their own back yard will be huge and they'll bottle it (again!) iyam.

Only 16 days, 14 hours to go, so I thought I'd make you all a thread to keep you updated. No need to thank me.

CleeToonFan, you're not allowed to post. Rugby fans (me) are too thick and you'll just end up confusing us (me.)

Can I have one post, then i'll leave you be? Thank you.

I have no intention of ruining the rugby world cup thread! It's like the NFL thread I made, where a lot of people respectfully ignored the thread instead of jumping on it and calling people every name under the sun because they made a thread about something they didn't like but still clicked on...

Besides, i'll be firmly rooting for the American Football rejects that still manage to qualify every 4 years. Come on you Eagles!

It's going to mega here. Really looking forward to it.

Reckon you'll win it? It's yours to lose. I honestly think this time you won't fuck it up.

If by 'yours' you mean the All Blacks, then yes. The best team in the world imo but it's well known they choke on the big occasion. So the question is whether home advantage inspires them or provokes big occasion choke. Personally I think this time around they'll do it if McCaw and Carter stay fit, they have a very talented and experienced side and a very strong subs bench too.

I'm English by the way. So I'll be supporting both the English and ABs for as long as they are in the tournament. I'd be happy if either won but especially the ABs as I live here and the place will be a fucking morgue if they don't :razz:

You dropped a New Zealand Super 12 reject for a New Zealand Rugby League reject.

Big whoop.

Although will be a laugh to see Hape put on his arse by Toeava again.

the Afrikaaners have a winning mentality that NZ lack if you ask me. And the pressure NZ be under in the modern media age (87 was basically the stone age when it comes to coverage) in their own back yard will be huge and they'll bottle it (again!) iyam.

And which winning mentality is that? This isn't 2007 anymore. PDV is borderline retarded, the old guard of Montgomery, Du Rant, Smit, Matfield, Habana and Burger that carried them are all gone or washed up and Jake White isn't walking through that door anytime soon.

Edited by citizenerased

You dropped a New Zealand Super 12 reject for a New Zealand Rugby League reject.

Big whoop.

Although will be a laugh to see Hape put on his arse by Toeava again.

One has proven his abilty for England at the top level, the other has been shite and England struggle for creativity at centre, so yes, not that i asked for you opinion on it, but it is a "big whoop" since our game could hinge on having something happening in the centre.

You should be worrying more about yet another All black choke in the big tournament, if you do it this time at home you may as wll give it up to be honest.

Looking at where everyone is born, we're not actually that English. :icon_lol:

Dan Cole - Leicester, England

Alex Corbisiero - New York, US

Andrew Sheridan - Bromley, England

Matt Stevens - Durban, South Africa

David Wilson - South Shields, England

Dylan Hartley - Rotorua, New Zealand

Lee Mears - Torquay, England

Steve Thompson - Hemel Hempstead, England

Louis Deacon - Leicester, England

Courtney Lawes - London, England

Tom Palmer - London, England

Simon Shaw - Nairobi, Kenya That's a fucking shock. He was also educated in Spain.

Tom Croft - Basingstoke, England

Nick Easter - Epson, England

James Haskell - Windsor, England

Lewis Moody - Ascot, England

Tom Wood - Coventry, England

Delon Armitage - San Fernando, Trinidad

Ben Foden - Chester, England

Chris Ashton - Wigan, England

Mark Cueto - Workington, England

Matt Banahan - Jersey Suppose I'll count that as England.

Shontayne Hape - Auckland , New Zealand

Mike Tindall - Otley, England

Manu Tuilagi - Samoa

Toby Flood - Frimley, Surrey (Although he was raised in Morpeth)

Jonny Wilkinson - Frimley, England

Joe Simpson - Sydney, Australia

Richard Wigglesworth - Blackpool, England

Ben Youngs - Norwich, England

Just under a third were born in England.

• 2 weeks later...
New Zealand v Tonga

Friday 9th September 2011, 09:30

Match Betting

New Zealand 1/900

Draw 90/1

Tonga 66/1

Ouch. :lol:

If you back the favourites in each of the first 8 games in an accumulator, the odds are 2/5.

Waste of time tournament, just move to NZ v Australia in the final to save time. England are wank. Rugby Union isn't a patch on Rugby League, watched a RL game on Sky last night the lead changed hands twice and the favourite lost, much better unpredictable sport.

New Zealand v Tonga

Match Betting

New Zealand 1/900

Draw 90/1

Tonga 66/1

If you back the favourites in each of the first 8 games in an accumulator, the odds are 2/5.

Waste of time tournament, just move to NZ v Australia in the final to save time. England are wank. Rugby Union isn't a patch on Rugby League, watched a RL game on Sky last night the lead changed hands twice and the favourite lost, much better unpredictable sport.

South africa have won the world cup more than New Zealand and England are six nations champions so i wouldnt be guarenteeing a NZ v aussie final.

As for which is best, people will never agree but league is just boring to me, it takes out everything that makes rugby what it is. No scrums, no rolling mauls, no rucks, all the physical battles between packs and last ditch defence on the line, no tactical kicking, hardly any point in bulding up to and taking drop goals as its worth a point. It removes all the intricacies of the game and the incredibly technical side of it, because even if you watch it all your life you'll still struggle to understan every aspect of it, its way to complex at the breakdown.

Instead in league a guy rams into a line of defenders, gets grounded they back off and somebody else rams into them, they back off and repeat for 5 goes then swap. Obviously you get the odd passing move or great run, but the majority of the game is butting into a defenders who hold you down, ball through the legs and the next guy does the same. They have produced some cracking players though like Offiah, Hanley and Robinson and if the first two had done what Robinson had and switched to union at some point it'd have been great to see them play union, they'd have went down as legends in both forms.

But, it would be boring if everybody agreed on everything, there wouldn't be much point in these forums!

New Zealand v Tonga

Match Betting

New Zealand 1/900

Draw 90/1

Tonga 66/1

South africa have won the world cup more than New Zealand and England are six nations champions so i wouldnt be guarenteeing a NZ v aussie final.

As for which is best, people will never agree but league is just boring to me, it takes out everything that makes rugby what it is. No scrums, no rolling mauls, no rucks, all the physical battles between packs and last ditch defence on the line, no tactical kicking, hardly any point in bulding up to and taking drop goals as its worth a point. It removes all the intricacies of the game and the incredibly technical side of it, because even if you watch it all your life you'll still struggle to understan every aspect of it, its way to complex at the breakdown.

Instead in league a guy rams into a line of defenders, gets grounded they back off and somebody else rams into them, they back off and repeat for 5 goes then swap. Obviously you get the odd passing move or great run, but the majority of the game is butting into a defenders who hold you down, ball through the legs and the next guy does the same. They have produced some cracking players though like Offiah, Hanley and Robinson and if the first two had done what Robinson had and switched to union at some point it'd have been great to see them play union, they'd have went down as legends in both forms.

But, it would be boring if everybody agreed on everything, there wouldn't be much point in these forums!

Ireland are in with a good shout for doing well tbh too, Just need one good result either against Austrailia in the groups or likely South Africa in the knockout stage (with guesstimating tables etc)

England maybe 6 nations champions this year, but they can't handle us <_< , tbh we threw away that 6nations with all the mistakes giving away stupid penos for holding on and stuff.

IN BOD WE TRUST <_<

525595_m03.jpg

Handled you last time we played <_< I may be wrong (you will know better than me quite how long some players have left and what is coming through the ranks to replace them) but i suspect Ireland are a team that peaked and are now on the downward slope like England after they won the world cup and even with O'Driscoll i don't think you'll do that well at the world cup, IMO.