2011 Rugby World Cup Thread

StevenL

Ireland winning and France losing, good results fopr us. If we dont fuck up agauist the Scotts we've got a clean run to the final, where we wont show up on the day and get turned over by NZ. But it'll be a fucking good piss-up. :nufc:

lol i'm struggling to figure out if you actually think that or are joking :nufc:

considering you'll still have to meet France and then Ireland(pending the italy result) who you haven't beat in a competitive match in years, clean run :nufc: and people wonder why i like England losing.

This is a world cup though, remember only the real big boys turn up when it matters and have a shot at it, its not the six nations when any old team can win :nufc:

Seriously though, he and other England fans are confident because England do get to semis and finals in world cups when it matters, even last time when the team was poor they got there, they know what it takes so until other teams do it as often as the main four their fans will remain confident.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England have been pretty terrible so I don't get the optimism. I'm probably going to England vs Scotland, just sorting out the tickets. Went to ABs v France at the weekend, it was mint. No comparison with the toon crowd on a good day though, not least because the match was over after 15 minutes.

The match was more entertaining than I expected (I didn't go in the end), I don't think Scotland threw it away it was more a case England got control into their game. They can hold their heads up high for today's effort because they really had a go. If they'd played like that against Argentina they wouldn't be on the plane home yet.

I think despite England showing signs of getting their shit together in the pack second half, the lack of cutting edge in the backs, especially the centres, is the real problem imo. They don't look like breaking the oppo's defence, and the ball doesn't get down the line quickly enough, if at all.

scotland threw away that game completely

They didn't at all, England would have been about 12 points further ahead of Wilkinson had been able to kick his pens and drop goals that the forwards had won for him so England didn't take their chances not Scotland. Second half England came out with more drive and purpose and scored the only try of the game when the chance came along. England deserved the win in a tight scruffy game, simple as that. And if Youngs at scrum half hadn't chucked every pass at head height we might have had more possession to work with, when he was replaced the try came as Wrigglesworth got good early ball to hand.

they got the pens because of stupid mistakes though i don't think you can claim those as "won for him" and no harm the first 3 wilkinson attempted were stupid, on target yes but so far out he was pushing his luck anyway.

no bothered either way not like i support either side, but far from the big force that some in this thread think they are.

Considering his kicking form this tournament i agree they were a bit risky, the first two anyway! Don't think anyone thinks they're a big force, just one of the teams who can win it and know what it takes to battle your way through the tournament when it matters.

Personally i think this time for once the serial chokers aren't going to bottle yet another world cup and the all blacks will win it, wouldn't like to say who will be the 4 teams in the semis, its quite interesting so far as nobody is way out there ahead of the rest.

Dan Carter out of World Cup - the chances of a choke just escalated dramatically

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/oct/0...rugby-world-cup

Yup, bad craic. Bookies still have ABs as favourite but with longer odds

The morning front page in the NZ National Herald was devoted to a "Day of Heartbreak". Oh my God, you say, what happened......another earthquake? A boat lost at sea? A major road traffic accident?

No, the Warriors rugby league team lost the Grand Final against an Aussie team and Dan Carter is out of the world cup.

I love NZ!

I reckon Wales will do better then everyone thinks.

all the reports have said Ireland and wales will both put in a performance and it's a tough choice between the two, don't think anyone is under estimating either team tbh

Could be a cracking game if both hit good form, i think Wales may do a France and pull out a massive performance in this game and get to a semi then blow it against whoever they play there.

-------------- Youngs ----------------

-------------------- Wilkinson ------------

-------------------------------------- Flood/Hape --------- Tindall

Cueto ---------------------------------- Foden -------------------------- Ashton

About fucking time Jonno listed to me. No idea why, I've been wrong about pretty much everything so far :lol:

The bookies think we'll win, and so do I, France are like Keegan's Newcastle but not as good. We'll score 2 tries late on and they'll get one. Waste of time anyway they should just give it to NZ nuw. Is it 830 wor time or 930? Says 830 on the wiki but the rest have been 930.

The bookies think we'll win, and so do I, France are like Keegan's Newcastle but not as good. We'll score 2 tries late on and they'll get one. Waste of time anyway they should just give it to NZ nuw. Is it 830 wor time or 930? Says 830 on the wiki but the rest have been 930.

I think it's half 8. We're more than capable of beating France (technically we're the best team in Europe) and it would be just like England to do so but I have bad feeling about it. I did about the Scotland game too like (half justified I suppose). Another scrappy win would do me.

I think it's half 8. We're more than capable of beating France (technically we're the best team in Europe) and it would be just like England to do so but I have bad feeling about it. I did about the Scotland game too like (half justified I suppose). Another scrappy win would do me.

You seem to care more about England doing well in this world cup than the one in 2010 :lol:

You seem to care more about England doing well in this world cup than the one in 2010 :lol:

;) I always care about England (football team) when they get to a tournament but I think even you'd have to admit that side / the current one made/make it very easy to be apathetic about their chances then and now.

;) I always care about England (football team) when they get to a tournament but I think even you'd have to admit that side / the current one made/make it very easy to be apathetic about their chances then and now.

Aye I know what you mean, it's the fact they're generally a bunch of arseholes that is off putting. The fact Carroll is probably one of the more likeable members of the set up is quite revealing. Plus the fact we probably are 5th-8th best team in the world, and we've still got no chance of winning anything. Bit like the rugby team on that score mind.

Also, I know it's become a cliche but I genuinely don't think they're that arsed about playing for their country. It certainly seems that way. Also I'm fucking sick of hearing about how they prefer playing away from Wembley and the expectations / pressure. While I admit there are plenty clueless fans there who are impatient it's hardly the most poisonous of atmospheres. They create the pressure for themselves with their performances. Capello doesn't help matters like. He's basically just picking up his wages now imo.

few lads in tescos this morning talking about "putting the £100 kitty on England to beat France, that way if they win, we're in the money, if they lose happy days".

and you think i'm bad :blush:

:lol: Fwiw I hope that if England don't win it (which is more than likely) then the winner of your quarter final does. I actually think either one of you could do it too. Or at least make the final. I wouldn't expect you lot to reciprocate that good will btw ;)

People seem to be thinking that since there was disharmony etc. four years ago that it's somehow it's going to make things alright this time round. Clutching at straws imo.