Sign in to follow this  
Ant

Pardew eyes cups

Couldn't make it up

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7122337,00.html

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew believes he has the squad depth required to win the Carling Cup and end the club's infamous 42 year trophy drought.

Although the St James' Park outfit lifted the Championship title last year they have not lifted a major trophy since the Fairs Cup in 1969.

They travel to Scunthorpe in the Carling Cup second round on Thursday as they bid to build on a solid start to the season that has seen them draw with Arsenal and beat near rivals Sunderland.

Pardew admits his primary aim remains survival in the Premier League but believes he has now has a squad capable of going all the way to Wembley too.

"You only had to look at our bench on Saturday and the players who didn't make the bench - like Alan Smith, for example - to know that I feel we are much stronger squad-wise this year to attack this competition, and also attack the FA Cup," said the 50-year-old.

"I guess what happened to Birmingham last year isn't going to fill us all with great enthusiasm in terms of winning the cup and being relegated.

"But if you feel you are strong enough to attack the cup and attack the Premier League with the squad you have then of course it's a target.

"You want to be in the game to win things, that's what we are in it for, so the two cup competitions are very big for us this year."

He doesn't actually believe this - no manager could be that stupid. Pardew is not an awful manager, he's just not a very good one. He's still good enough to look at our squad and say, "Bugger, we're short in defence and attack and if anything happens to Colo we're screwed." But he's spineless, so he spews out shit like what's quoted in the article. He doesn't vocalize a thought that Dekka hasn't already had.

For me personally, the attention his patter deserves, he could've repeated his "we've got plan B but if plan C fails we'd like to think we can stick with plan A. Half past six, Gérard Depardieu's piss bottle" or whateverer the fuck it was he said other day re transfers.

Toothy snivelling gobshite .

Is this the best fuckin deflection story they could come up with???

What next like? We're in the running to sign Sturridge or some other shite that the mongs will lap up?

What a bunch of grade A Cunts!

Couldn't make it up

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7122337,00.html

"You only had to look at our bench on Saturday and the players who didn't make the bench - like Alan Smith, for example - to know that I feel we are much stronger squad-wise this year to attack this competition, and also attack the FA Cup," said the 50-year-old.

128977704323210964.jpg

Is this the best fuckin deflection story they could come up with???

What next like? We're in the running to sign Sturridge or some other shite that the mongs will lap up?

What a bunch of grade A Cunts!

Not usually one to defend them but what are you on about? How is this a "deflection story"?

You do realise that he's just answering a journalist's questions about his (and by association, the club's) attitude towards the cup, right?

Might have escaped your attention but it's on the SkySports website, not the club's.

It would be nice to win it...for sure.

But i'd like to see us use it to blood some of the "developement squad".

I'd be pushing more for the FA Cup and concentrating on our league position.

Our squad isnt THAT big AP.

It would be nice to win it...for sure.

But i'd like to see us use it to blood some of the "developement squad".

I'd be pushing more for the FA Cup and concentrating on our league position.

Our squad isnt THAT big AP.

Of course you would.

Our squads smaller than last year, which at the time needed strengthening/filling out, love when they come out with the "we've strengthened" shite

@Jonny2J - aye it's not outside the possibilities, but out of the last ten years only Blackburn outside of (spurs man.u, chelsea, liverpool) have won it and not been relegated, and alot of the other finalists like wigan just about survived.

Unfortunately squads like ours aren't made for long cup runs, if we're in both cups till a decent stage i mean.

If i was pardew i'd just keep quiet unless i absolutely had to, what point does it serve coming out with this sort of balls like when the squads a mess and his transfer stratagy is in tatters/an utter joke filled with contradictions.

Dear me.

As someone pointed out he is answering a journos question at the press conference before a cup game. What would you expect him to say.

Add to that he has got a relatively shit team to the cup final and Birminghams success last year its not that odd.

I think we will give the cups a good bash this year.

Imagine the shit that would kick off btw if Pardew and Ashley won a cup. :razz:

you can stick this in the predictions thread if you like CT............................

............It'll never fuckin happen with these twats in charge

:D

Dear me.

As someone pointed out he is answering a journos question at the press conference before a cup game. What would you expect him to say.

Add to that he has got a relatively shit team to the cup final and Birminghams success last year its not that odd.

Because he's just said we have a big sqaud, which we fucking don't. Lie #36,934

And Birmingham didn't win it on the size of their squad, they had a decent draw to the final.

Fucking hell. :razz:

Edited by StevenL

Dear me.

Because he's just said we have a big sqaud, which we fucking don't. Lie #36,934

And Birmingham didn't win it on the size of their squad, they had a decent draw to the final.

Fucking hell. :razz:

Not to mention they won by beating the softest of the big clubs, a team who probably won't even make the CL again this year.

As said above, see my sig. We'll not win anything - or come close to winning anything - while Ashley owns the club.