Best 'value for money' NUFC striker.

Guest alex

NKP that is all.

Who, in your opinion, is the best striker you've seen at NUFC, in your lifetime, in terms of value for money?

Cole. Has to be. What did we pay for him, 1.75m ?

Aye but if you think about it the transfer record at the time was the £2.3m Man Utd spent on Gary Pallister, Shearer didn't break it till later that year. In those terms £1.75m was a lot of money. Personally in terms of impact on the club I'd say £100,000 for Kevin Keegan 40 odd goals in two years, double the clubs profile, and wouldn't have formed that close bond which brought him back here in 1992, which really did put us amongst the big boys.

Outside of that £150,000 for Beardsley. See even Quinn at £680,000 wasn't cheap in those days. I'd have to say Keegan for his legacy.

NKP that is all.

Who, in your opinion, is the best striker you've seen at NUFC, in your lifetime, in terms of value for money?

Aye but if you think about it the transfer record at the time was the £2.3m Man Utd spent on Gary Pallister, Shearer didn't break it till later that year. In those terms £1.75m was a lot of money. Personally in terms of impact on the club I'd say £100,000 for Kevin Keegan 40 odd goals in two years, double the clubs profile, and wouldn't have formed that close bond which brought him back here in 1992, which really did put us amongst the big boys.

Outside of that £150,000 for Beardsley. See even Quinn at £680,000 wasn't cheap in those days. I'd have to say Keegan for his legacy.

Shearer signed for Blackburn (3.3m in 1992) before we signed Cole (£1.75m in 1993). Pretty certain that Keane went to Man Utd in the summer of 1993 for £3.6m which at the time was a new record so we got Cole for half the transfer record. Equivalent today would be £17.5m so he wasn't any considered bargain. He was also our 1st £1m+ player IIRC.

In terms of value for money in my lifetime (and you have to compare them against the going rate at the time they signed for us) then it's one of Goddard, Mark McGhee, David Kelly or Craig Bellamy for me.

Out of that 4 it has to be David Kelly by a million miles.

NKP that is all.

Shearer signed for Blackburn (3.3m in 1992) before we signed Cole (£1.75m in 1993). Pretty certain that Keane went to Man Utd in the summer of 1993 for £3.6m which at the time was a new record so we got Cole for half the transfer record. Equivalent today would be £17.5m so he wasn't any considered bargain. He was also our 1st £1m+ player IIRC.

In terms of value for money in my lifetime (and you have to compare them against the going rate at the time they signed for us) then it's one of Goddard, Mark McGhee, David Kelly or Craig Bellamy for me.

Out of that 4 it has to be David Kelly by a million miles.

Ya reet actually aye.

Kelly (250k) was a great player for the toon but nee better than Peacock, for a long time Peacock (350k) was our best player. Keegan by a mile then Pedro when you look at legacy and what they actually did for me.

I think Shearer was the best money we ever spent on a striker. For £15million we got goals, we got a legend and we got a very loyal player to the club once he signed. Turned down Man Utd in the process.

Mirandinha. He cost around £600,000 and had the most shots of any striker in the English leagues. They didn't all go in, but it's the thought that counts.

Hughie Gallacher runs him close at £6000. George Robledo equalled his record of 39 goals in a season and we won successive FA Cups during his time here, not bad for £25k.

Mirandinha. He cost around £600,000 and had the most shots of any striker in the English leagues. They didn't all go in, but it's the thought that counts.

Hughie Gallacher runs him close at £6000. George Robledo equalled his record of 39 goals in a season and we won successive FA Cups during his time here, not bad for £25k.

Don't start that 'the were still alive during my lifetime' Bill McCracken shite again you little gimp :icon_lol: Gallacher threw himself under a tram for starters in the 40's or 50's.

I was driving the tram. On a serious note, what a fucking sad story that was, his demise. I read about it. Apparently he was wandering the streets depressed in his last days and wouldn't even have eye contact with people.

Bill McCracken is one of the most influential footballers in history, they changed the offside laws because of him. The team exploited the offside rule so well that the FA had to change it, we were dominating the division. Won the league three times when he was playing and an FA cup.

Best value? Rob Mcdonald. Not my own personal view but Jim Smith got a new kitchen and a holiday with the backhander he must've got from the agent for signing this duck egg.

KK for the long term benefits he brought to the club must be one, also Jackie Milburn would surely be another if you were counting all time players, cost nothing, wouldn't have been mega rich and was a goalscoring legend when we won trophies.

David Kelly may have saved the club from wandering around the lower leagues for a few years so you could certainly add him to the list.