Newcastle United v Fulham --- Sunday 1.00pm Kick Off

Christmas Tree

Also, Obertan did little to nothing throughout the game, and I hope Marveaux is being readied for time in the first team, because Obertan is just another Routledge.

I don't know how many times he received the ball in space and was afraid to take on his man or put in a cross, then turned away and passed back or lost the ball. Not good enough tbh, invisible for most of the game, as he was against Sunderland.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, Obertan did little to nothing throughout the game, and I hope Marveaux is being readied for time in the first team, because Obertan is just another Routledge.

I don't know how many times he received the ball in space and was afraid to take on his man or put in a cross, then turned away and passed back or lost the ball. Not good enough tbh, invisible for most of the game, as he was against Sunderland.

ramadamadingdong mate

Needs more confidence tbh. Looks like he's got qualities but is too afraid to show them (which is more or less what Man Utd fans were saying about him).

I'd like us to give him a fair chance, hopefully he'll improve once he gains a bit of confidence,

You kidding? His ball to Ba for Best's second goal was outstanding, and he did well to beat a player before putting in the ball for the chance Best fluffed. He's still settling into the first time, and he has a much better final ball than Routledge.

Needs more confidence tbh. Looks like he's got qualities but is too afraid to show them (which is more or less what Man Utd fans were saying about him).

I'd like us to give him a fair chance, hopefully he'll improve once he gains a bit of confidence,

Exactly. Seems to be badly lacking confidence. I think at the very least we need to give him a decent run in the side to gain that. I also think he prefers playing on the left, so it can take a while to get used to beating a man down the other wing.

Routledge was better than Obertan.

:D

See if I'm wrong, he's absolute gash. He was half-arsed at man utd, it doesn't bode well for the lad.

Put Obertan in the QPR team and he wouldn't do this:

→ Queens Park Rangers (loan) 19 (5)

It'd be more like: "oh dont give me the ball dont give me the ball oohh shit here it comes oohhh shit ill try a flick ohh ive given it away at least i dont have to worry now fucking cunterheads givin me the ball fuckin hell here it comes again ohhh nooooo"

Harsh words about Obertan. For what it's worth, I thought Routledge was all right, decent squad player. But Obertan seems to have a bit more about him. Played some good balls today and some of his runs were fantastic.

Good result, shame about the stupid late goal but another good three points. Best did brilliantly for the second goal, still think he's just about our best striker at the moment. But I think it's fairly obvious that we need more bodies in and that has to be a priority in the next few days for the club.

Pleasingly spirited again once they got going . Maybe the slow starts are down to the hap-hazzard pre season ? Bits starting to click here and there and great to get confidence amongst the team from the win . Still can't let Wednesday pass without spending though .

Good performance from about 40 minutes onwards.

Nice to think that we have 7 points from 3 games, conceded 1 goal, not lost and haven't really played that well for the most part.

Ashley is going to have his work cutout to piss everyone off again this week. Not getting a left back in would probably do it.

I thought Obertan played well.

His movement and technique are absolutely shocking. Also his decision making is terrible: there were a couple of occasions where he was goalside of his marker on the wing, perfect position to whip a ball in and he just ran it out of play. Abysmal. He's invisible and then pops up 1-2 times per half and manages to play the ball to a Newcastle player. He managed that once vs Sunderland going forward, managed to play it to Barton who then played the ball out for a goal kick. Obertan got himself 1 vs 1 with the last defender vs Sunderland, he's meant to be able to beat a man, perhaps his only strength, and he runs straight into the player and luckily we got a corner.

Still, perhaps I've gone too far in saying Routledge is a better player; I think Obertan will prove to be similar in terms of effectiveness

Obertan can also withstand a bit of physical contact. Routledge had no strength to protect the ball.

Obertan is clearly a more balanced player than Routledge. Routledge was a decent player to have in the squad, but was too one dimensional. As you've noted Obertan has a bit more size about him. Low body fat, but broad shoulders and over 6 foot he's quite handy at positioning his body and winning headers, an area where Routledge just could not compete.

Edited by OzToonFan

His movement and technique are absolutely shocking. Also his decision making is terrible: there were a couple of occasions where he was goalside of his marker on the wing, perfect position to whip a ball in and he just ran it out of play. Abysmal. He's invisible and then pops up 1-2 times per half and manages to play the ball to a Newcastle player. He managed that once vs Sunderland going forward, managed to play it to Barton who then played the ball out for a goal kick. Obertan got himself 1 vs 1 with the last defender vs Sunderland, he's meant to be able to beat a man, perhaps his only strength, and he runs straight into the player and luckily we got a corner.

Still, perhaps I've gone too far in saying Routledge is a better player; I think Obertan will prove to be similar in terms of effectiveness

I said he played well today, what has Sunderland got to do with it? He was far too tentative for the first 30 minutes but so was the rest of the team. Him and Ba created the second goal which given the context is already more than Routledge did in the premiership.

So am I the only one who thought we were hopeless, just Fulham were even worse? Leon Best being our best striker is pretty upsetting, and bar Ben Arfa (who isnt a striker btw) that was our best XI.

2 or 3 injuries and we are relegation fodder.

I said he played well today, what has Sunderland got to do with it? He was far too tentative for the first 30 minutes but so was the rest of the team. Him and Ba created the second goal which given the context is already more than Routledge did in the premiership.

I'm just giving examples to show why I think he's crap. And like I say, I was prolly kneejerking about Routledge, but mark my words, Obertan is gash.

Apparently Vuckic hurt his wrist, not his hand. Hope he's ok.

So am I the only one who thought we were hopeless, just Fulham were even worse? Leon Best being our best striker is pretty upsetting, and bar Ben Arfa (who isnt a striker btw) that was our best XI.

2 or 3 injuries and we are relegation fodder.

And people call me miserable? Sometimes it doesn't hurt to give credit where credit is due.