Gateshead

Anorthernsoul

Thank God, it's an embarrassment to see Grimsby below teams like Gateshead in the league, get em all down and let the real clubs go back up.

There's times in their history when Gateshead have been a much bigger and better supported club than Grimsby.

Aye and Grimsby v Wolves in the FA Cup Semi final is the biggest attendance at Old Trafford, they're still fuck all compared to Man Utd like. Grimsby get 3k in the Conference, and had 9/10k average attendance like 10 years ago, it's a fucking disgrace what happened to the club.

So fuck between 1976 and 2000 Blyth's 44,000 crowd in 1978 beat anything Newcastle could do....and no they didn't average 9/10,000 10 years ago.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank God, it's an embarrassment to see Grimsby below teams like Gateshead in the league, get em all down and let the real clubs go back up.

There's times in their history when Gateshead have been a much bigger and better supported club than Grimsby.

Aye and Grimsby v Wolves in the FA Cup Semi final is the biggest attendance at Old Trafford, they're still fuck all compared to Man Utd like. Grimsby get 3k in the Conference, and had 9/10k average attendance like 10 years ago, it's a fucking disgrace what happened to the club.

So fuck between 1976 and 2000 Blyth's 44,000 crowd in 1978 beat anything Newcastle could do....and no they didn't average 9/10,000 10 years ago.

That's what i'm saying, it's clear Grimsby are a much bigger club than Gateshead regardless of one or two times Gateshead may have had better attendances, I mean Grimsbys average away following last year was the same as Hayes and Yeadings average home following. They got 9k on many occasions 10 years ago and in 02/03 they even averaged 6k... a year where they got absolutely humiliated in the league. Saying Gateshead are a bigger side than Grimsby would be like saying Burnley are a bigger side than Newcastle purely based on 2009/10 season. Especially not even breaking into average attendances in the 1000s in the BSP, that's a shambles

That's what i'm saying, it's clear Grimsby are a much bigger club than Gateshead regardless of one or two times Gateshead may have had better attendances, I mean Grimsbys average away following last year was the same as Hayes and Yeadings average home following. They got 9k on many occasions 10 years ago and in 02/03 they even averaged 6k... a year where they got absolutely humiliated in the league. Saying Gateshead are a bigger side than Grimsby would be like saying Burnley are a bigger side than Newcastle purely based on 2009/10 season. Especially not even breaking into average attendances in the 1000s in the BSP, that's a shambles

Much bigger clubs than Grimsby in the BSP.

And??

The likes of Leeds are a much bigger club than the likes of Stoke, Norwich or Swansea.

Not sure Id put Leeds above Stoke these days

Two nothing clubs. Leeds have never and will never be a big club, regardless how many people tell you they are. They are incomparable to NUFC as a club.

Leeds have a pretty respectable European record tbf (they've been to all European finals, in some cases more than once). Plus they've won league titles in the 70's and 90's (ie across two decades in the modern game). Can't class them as a nothing club on that basis alone, it's just their fans are monumental arseholes.

Leeds have a pretty respectable European record tbf (they've been to all European finals, in some cases more than once). Plus they've won league titles in the 70's and 90's (ie across two decades in the modern game). Can't class them as a nothing club on that basis alone, it's just their fans are monumental arseholes.

Their history began in 1966 and ended in 1975 though largely speaking, apart from a title win in front of 25,000 supporters in 1992. It's a rugby/cricket town. Being the self proclaimed biggest club in Yorkshire they should have 80,000 people wanting to see them play, their local fanbase should be on paper as big as Man Utd's.

Edited by McFaul

Their history began in 1966 and ended in 1975 though largely speaking, apart from a title win in front of 25,000 supporters in 1992. It's a rugby/cricket town. Being the self proclaimed biggest club in Yorkshire they should have 80,000 people wanting to see them play, their local fanbase should be on paper as big as Man Utd's.

It shouldn't like, because they've got Bradford on the doorstep and that's a bigger population than you think (without getting into the ethnicity of Bradford and whether it's a 'football' town).

Leeds are clearly a fair sized team that have matched a large northern city status to a good few trophies. Can hardly knock them on that score. For me it's just about the fact that their fans are dickheads (to the extent that lots of their own fans acknowledge this). You're right about their historical peaks though being a relatively brief window, which appears even more stark given they changed their home colours during this period as though they had no history worth preserving. That bit would be absolutely unthinkable to us (and most clubs tbf).

It shouldn't like, because they've got Bradford on the doorstep and that's a bigger population than you think (without getting into the ethnicity of Bradford and whether it's a 'football' town).

Leeds are clearly a fair sized team that have matched a large northern city status to a good few trophies. Can hardly knock them on that score. For me it's just about the fact that their fans are dickheads (to the extent that lots of their own fans acknowledge this). You're right about their historical peaks though being a relatively brief window, which appears even more stark given they changed their home colours during this period as though they had no history worth preserving. That bit would be absolutely unthinkable to us (and most clubs tbf).

Leeds and Wakefield together is about 1.3m and that's not even including Bradford which is half asian anyway. Manchester and Salford together isn't even that, and they have Man City there too. Leeds on paper imo should've been historically one of the biggest clubs in the country, when the reality is but for the countries perception of their rivalry with Man Utd (some type of wanky war of the roses pish) they're not even the size of the mackems.

Leeds and Wakefield together is about 1.3m and that's not even including Bradford which is half asian anyway. Manchester and Salford together isn't even that, and they have Man City there too. Leeds on paper imo should've been historically one of the biggest clubs in the country, when the reality is but for the countries perception of their rivalry with Man Utd (some type of wanky war of the roses pish) they're not even the size of the mackems.

Manchester and Salford is a few square miles in total though, separated by a trickle of a river. 'Leeds and Wakefield' are actually distinct places. So whereas Leeds and Wakefield combined might be more people than Mcr and Salford (I genuinely have no idea) they're not all in a tiny area within traditional spitting distance of Old Trafford, which is the historical reason for Man U being bigger (before their brand globalisation).

My statement was more about the current status of the 2 clubs.

Leeds currently average 23000 in a 40000 seater stadium that looks ready to fall down and aren't looking like getting out of the championship anytime soon

Stoke are playing in Europe, average 27000 in a 28000 seater stadium, have just signed the likes of Palacious, Woodgate, Upson and Crouch.

If we are going on past histories then Notts Forest are a bigger club than us which is pish

Leeds currently average 23000 in a 40000 seater stadium that looks ready to fall down and aren't looking like getting out of the championship anytime soon

Stoke are playing in Europe, average 27000 in a 28000 seater stadium, have just signed the likes of Palacious, Woodgate, Upson and Crouch.

If we are going on past histories then Notts Forest are a bigger club than us which is pish

What I'm saying is, 23,000 isn't a disgrace for a club that's been in the old 3rd division recently. If anyone thinks it is then fair enough, but I personally think that's a daft view to hold.

Stoke get 27,000 and are playing at the absolute extent of their potential (way beyond it in fact as they are bankrolled).

I'm not disputing their relative league positions as obviously that would be absurd.

That's just ignorant on so many levels. They've won 1 league title and 1 fucking FA Cup. Their European Cup wins were against Hamburg and might Malmo all within a 12 month period. Whereas NUFC up to 1972 (joint with Arsenal) were the most successful club in English footballing history. Were you not aware of that?

Sammy Wakefield is 7 miles from Leeds, that's like saying Whitley Bay and North Shields aren't our areas, while the pop. of the city of Leeds is 815,000 alone, that's like the whole of Tyneside in the actual city.

What I'm saying is, 23,000 isn't a disgrace for a club that's been in the old 3rd division recently. If anyone thinks it is then fair enough, but I personally think that's a daft view to hold.

Stoke get 27,000 and are playing at the absolute extent of their potential (way beyond it in fact as they are bankrolled).

I'm not disputing their relative league positions as obviously that would be absurd.

They were amongst the promotion favourites though, we got 44,000 down there in the ccc, and there was no evidence to suggest they'd go any lower.

I think 23,000 is abysmal for a club within a city of their size regardless what leagues they've been in. Man City even did better than that, and look at Norwich their grounds been sold out for years, and they stayed down in league one for a while.

They were amongst the promotion favourites though, we got 44,000 down there in the ccc, and there was no evidence to suggest they'd go any lower.

I think 23,000 is abysmal for a club within a city of their size regardless what leagues they've been in. Man City even did better than that, and look at Norwich their grounds been sold out for years, and they stayed down in league one for a while.

23,000 for a club that's been in the third division is really bad evidence to say they're a nonentity club iyam. We've done comfortably less than that and we've never even been in the third.

We're bigger than them by a good margin, but they're not a small club.

23,000 for a club that's been in the third division is really bad evidence to say they're a nonentity club iyam. We've done comfortably less than that and we've never even been in the third.

We're bigger than them by a good margin, but they're not a small club.

Aye in one season when football wasn't popular, and we were being mauled by the directors. At the same time Leeds were averaging 13,000. It's never been a football town, never averaged over 40,000 in its' entire history since 1921. Incredible stat for a club some regard as big.

Well basically all this transaction proves is that you can pick and choose stats to suit but I dispute your basic premise that 23,000 isn't a perfectly respectable gate for division 3/ division 2 no-hopers.

Gates aside though, Leeds fans are twats. End off.

Well basically all this transaction proves is that you can pick and choose stats to suit but I dispute your basic premise that 23,000 isn't a perfectly respectable gate for division 3/ division 2 no-hopers.

Gates aside though, Leeds fans are twats. End off.

If we got 23,000 in any league we'd absolutely pilloried, despite a smaller catchment area, that's all my point is.

I remember one close season when we'd 'only' sold 30k ST and it was portrayed as some sort of crisis in the press. At almost exactly the same time a positive spin was being put on Leeds getting record season ticket sales which were actually less than that.

• 1 month later...