Leon Best

Christmas Tree

Deffo not an excuse for Ashley Ant. I've been very clear we should have had a striker. No excuses.

I went looking for a Best thread simply to discuss him as he is currently scoring and the manager has said he is going to get a run.

I wrote last year that there was one game when I don't think I've ever seen a worse heading performance from a striker. The ball seemed to hit his head and make it wobble.

He also has a tough problem staying onside.

But, he does seem to really graft upfront and is better at holding the ball up than Ameobi. He was one of those that really got stuck in against Darlo pre season.

So this is not a Best is great thread, just a Best discussion thread seeing how he is "the man" until the next man comes along.

I just have this sneaking feeling that he will do well.

You do realise these 'sneaking feelings' you have are basically just self comforting/self defence mechanisms now though don't you? To have reached your mid forties, I implore you to say you have that self-awareness?

Hmmmmm. A well educated legal eagle trapped in perpetual online warfare with a pensioner discussing self awareness :D

But to address the question specifically please...you do realise that don't you?

What I'm saying is this bears all the hallmarks of you forgetting the disappointment/failure to sign a striker (and your 'sneaky feeling') only the other day, not taking any lesson from that, and replacing that with a 'sneaky feeling' something else will work instead.

It's not to say Best might not have a half decent season, but that's nothing to do with your instincts about him at this stage-what you've typed above owes more to your own psychological need to believe something good will come rather than having any evidential basis for it. (That's why you get on people's tits is essentially what I'm saying btw).

Hid the bite well til the last line :lol:

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll save LM the bother.

Have we really fallen so far that fucking Best (oh the irony of his name) and Shola are our deadliest options up front? The no 1 priority we had this summer and they fucked it up due to do being so tight arsed.

(Answer : yes we have)

you saved me the bother

Edit.

PS, I can respect Best for giving it his best shot, and he isn't the worst striker I've seen at the club by any stretch of the imagination, but Sir Les he ain't. Ameobi still appears to be the nr 1 striker at the club though, above Best and Ba, which tells you everything. We haven't significantly improved our striking options since selling Carroll, but that was all too predictable.

Is that an opinion or observation?

Shola is the only target man in our lineup, so i can see why he's getting games, but I'd say Best and Ba are our best forwards by a mile. Ba's favoured position is out wide left, which Pardew didn't let him play against Aresnal, but now that Ramadan is over i'm sure we'll see a much improved player.

No it's not.

And unfortunately he's the best of a shyte bunch, but I'd rather have him on the pitch than Shola or Lovenkrands. When Lovenkrands plays He does nothing of any notice at all, he might aswell not even be on the pitch. Best and Shola are both frustrating but at least for now Best is getting goals and will hopefully continue that, not that I'm holding much hope for it.

I went looking for a Best thread simply to discuss him as he is currently scoring and the manager has said he is going to get a run.

It's funny you mention that CT. When I heard him say that my immediate reaction was we're not going to get new striker. And then I thought no, they couldn't be that stupid.

Aha....the smoking gun :D

Deffo not an excuse for Ashley Ant. I've been very clear we should have had a striker. No excuses.

I wrote last year that there was one game when I don't think I've ever seen a worse heading performance from a striker. The ball seemed to hit his head and make it wobble.

But, he does seem to really graft upfront and is better at holding the ball up than Ameobi. He was one of those that really got stuck in against Darlo pre season.

So this is not a Best is great thread, just a Best discussion thread seeing how he is "the man" until the next man comes along.

You do realise these 'sneaking feelings' you have are basically just self comforting/self defence mechanisms now though don't you? To have reached your mid forties, I implore you to say you have that self-awareness?

Hmmmmm. A well educated legal eagle trapped in perpetual online warfare with a pensioner discussing self awareness :D

But to address the question specifically please...you do realise that don't you?

What I'm saying is this bears all the hallmarks of you forgetting the disappointment/failure to sign a striker (and your 'sneaky feeling') only the other day, not taking any lesson from that, and replacing that with a 'sneaky feeling' something else will work instead.

It's not to say Best might not have a half decent season, but that's nothing to do with your instincts about him at this stage-what you've typed above owes more to your own psychological need to believe something good will come rather than having any evidential basis for it. (That's why you get on people's tits is essentially what I'm saying btw).

It was a serious comment fwiw. I've actually always thought you were an entertaining poster (and have said as much previously) in the face of all the flack you take-but the flak is warranted on that particular point.

So in reference to my question, will you have the courteousy to address it - it is your thread after all and it is on topic - or would you prefer to just continue side stepping it with scarcely relevant comments?

It's mind boggling that we go into this season without a PL quality striker. My mind is boggled.

Quick to write off Ba.

Not at all.

He's not a striker he likes to play off a front man imfkiud. :D

Ah gotya. fair enough.

It was a serious comment fwiw. I've actually always thought you were an entertaining poster (and have said as much previously) in the face of all the flack you take-but the flak is warranted on that particular point.

So in reference to my question, will you have the courteousy to address it - it is your thread after all and it is on topic - or would you prefer to just continue side stepping it with scarcely relevant comments?

The treads about Leon Best and anyone can feel free to share their views on him. Do I want to have a self awareness discussion with some random on the Internet and end up in a cunning battle of wits in-between jobs aided only by an Iphone. Not particularly but thanks for the offer.

Now try me again on a weekday when any distraction from Cbeebies and dirty nappies is welcome and I might play.

The treads about Leon Best and anyone can feel free to share their views on him. Do I want to have a self awareness discussion with some random on the Internet and end up in a cunning battle of wits in-between jobs aided only by an Iphone. Not particularly but thanks for the offer.

Now try me again on a weekday when any distraction from Cbeebies and dirty nappies is welcome and I might play.

It's not massively cerebral in all fairness. Sounds like you'd rather just ignore the point really.

This is what I'm referring to btw CT. Transfer deadline thread only a few days ago:

Christmas Tree

Aug 31 2011, 09:28 AM

I just have this sneaky feeling we are going to pull something big out of the bag today

I'm not having a pop, it's a valid point that I'm trying to bring to your attention.

Went looking for a Leon Best thread and couldn't believe the man on who our season rests, didnt have one!

We love you Leon and know you will come good and continue your excellent goal scoring record for us. :D

(To the tune of Robin Hood for those that like to sing a long).

Leon Best, Leon Best, he will lead the line.

Leon Best, Leon Best, he's scored nearly nine.

Keeps us Shola free

That'll do for me

Leon Best, Leon Best, Leon Best.

:lol:

As the song goes:

Oh Christmas Tree

Oh Christmas Tree

Why do I have do thy work for thee

Summat like that :)

No thread on LB, you say? Did the very man himself sign up here and start his own thread a month, or so, ago? It's there if you look - fucked if can be bothered - and I have a sneaky feeling it was the man himself :yes .

My last point on this Mancy. Maybe it's just a phrase I use as some use literally.

Do I always look for the positive in most situations, probably.

Does that make a happy go luck chap, definitely

Can I lose a 100k paying job, end up driving a taxi and still think I'm luckier than most, definitely.

I am quite a heart on the sleeve, say what you think without worrying if it contradicts something I've said previously sort of guy, definitely.

Do I have any real interest how all these traits come across on a football forum, none whatsoever.

Am I a great dad who is dare I say idolised by his kids and is always full of fun. Yes indeed.

I have a wonderful life that is blessed with great kids, a great wife, great friends, a great football club and the man love of Deano.

Hope that covers everything.

I applaud him for trying to take his chance, but that doesnt mean I should accept him. Never rated him at all. Course Im glad he's scored a few but to even mention him in the same breath as Shearer is laughable. Ok, they both play up front, thats where the similarities end. He's getting a run and taking his chances, great. Good on him. Still shite though. Ok, maybe shite is hard, but he is not a top 10 side main no one striker. Thats the problem. He's the best we have (pun intended).

CT says he is currently scoring, my that I think he means he scored in the last game. Thats it. If he starts scoring 1 in 2 or 3 after starting for the next 10 games then I may reconsider but Ive seen nowt to convince me otherwise.

Oh, and I didnt mention Ba as Ive not seen enough of him. I think he needs more game to get his fitness back up and sharpness. I can't really judge to be fair to him until then.

That's it like he was gash on Sunday against Fulham but he scored twice -fair play people will forget about his obvious offsides & his strike rate in a Newcastle shirt is decent but he needs to score goals consistently to win peoples faith if all he is doing is scoring goals.

Best is doing the job but he's a gamble - the club owed the fans a player who was not a gamble.

My last point on this Mancy. Maybe it's just a phrase I use as some use literally.

Do I always look for the positive in most situations, probably.

Does that make a happy go luck chap, definitely

Can I lose a 100k paying job, end up driving a taxi and still think I'm luckier than most, definitely.

I am quite a heart on the sleeve, say what you think without worrying if it contradicts something I've said previously sort of guy, definitely.

Do I have any real interest how all these traits come across on a football forum, none whatsoever.

Am I a great dad who is dare I say idolised by his kids and is always full of fun. Yes indeed.

I have a wonderful life that is blessed with great kids, a great wife, great friends, a great football club and the man love of Deano.

Hope that covers everything.

Clearly I didn't ask for your life story, I just wanted you to confirm whether deep down you knew your position on things like this was essentially not based on reality. I was honestly hoping you'd be able to say 'yes' fwiw, but obviously not.

To the tune of SJP favourite 'The Best' by Tina Turner

Leon Best, better than all the rest,

strikers that the toon have got,

Leon Best, he's better than Demba Ba,

Better than Lovenkrands, Shola and his little bro.

Er, thanks for coming but it's a 'no' from me :D

I'm sure legal eagles get used to making lots of decision on facts. As my background is creative I thinks it fairly obvious that I will come to situations from quite a different thought process.

That's just life and hooray for differences.

Add to that that we are discussing football and your into the realms of hopes and dreams.

Btw that's not to make excuses for my Leon Best comment.

When he gets chances he has shown that he can find the net. He is also a grafter upfront so if we can create some chances for him I'm hopeful he'll put a few away.

That's not to dress him up as the great Newcastle hope, simply discussing his potential over the next few games as he's the one that has been given the nod.

Anyway, enough "feelings" for one day. :D

CT, in future don't let those feelings sneak around like furtive thieves in the night. Let them roam free, in plain sight, like might eagles soaring or rugged wolves roaming the steppes. If your feelings weren't so damned sneaky none of this would have happened

CT, in future don't let those feelings sneak around like furtive thieves in the night. Let them roam free, in plain sight, like might eagles soaring or rugged wolves roaming the steppes. If your feelings weren't so damned sneaky none of this would have happened

:D

A player has to be judged on his consistency. Martins produced some moments of magic but for most of his time with us was shit, thus, he was shit (or, as it could be more politely described, a 'cult hero.') We all fall for that kind of player sometimes (see my avatar) but we still know in our heart of hearts that they are shit. Leon Best is shit.

Best has scored some good goals and showed some striker's awareness and finishing skill, but the overwhelming majority of his performances have been awful, thus he is awful. Even against Fulham, he didn't play well, but did score a couple of goals.

If that can continue, then he's worth having in the side, but I fear that the number of games where he plays like shit and does nothing (i.e. Scunthorpe) will far outweigh the number of games where he plays like shit and still scores (i.e. Fulham), which will in turn far outweigh the number of games where he plays brilliantly (i.e. Arsenal last season.)

He's still a better option than Lovenkrands, but worse than Ameobi for my money. I hope Ba comes good and can forge an effective partnership with Ameobi, but we have to accept that both of those have poor fitness records and that our backup strikers, such as they are, will likely be featuring a lot this season, and for that reason we're going to have to hope that Best has more games like he did against Fulham.