Leon Best

Christmas Tree

Best doesn't really offer much to the team. He is very much an individual player however he seems to have a habit of being in the right place as the right time to nick a goal. Not a bad talent to have! He goes through purple patches where he will score for a few games and then go cold. Owen use to have that trait to him as well. Wouldn't score for 5 matches or so and then hit a glut of goals.

He doesn't deserve the amount of stick he gets on here. He scored goals last season and he was our match winner vrs Fulham. If Rooney had done that back heal for the second goal you could have filled a pint glass of jizz from the media about how amazing that was however since it was Best it was just a well taken goal.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best doesn't really offer much to the team. He is very much an individual player however he seems to have a habit of being in the right place as the right time to nick a goal. Not a bad talent to have! He goes through purple patches where he will score for a few games and then go cold. Owen use to have that trait to him as well. Wouldn't score for 5 matches or so and then hit a glut of goals.

He doesn't deserve the amount of stick he gets on here. He scored goals last season and he was our match winner vrs Fulham. If Rooney had done that back heal for the second goal you could have filled a pint glass of jizz from the media about how amazing that was however since it was Best it was just a well taken goal.

Hasn't yet seen enough action to be able to say that conclusively

He's far from the most intelligent striker I've seen play for us, as in he's offside all of the time, doesn't really have any off the ball movement, yet somehow he seems to get into goal scoring positions, and I really do like his work-rate.

However, he's clearly not good enough or consistent enough.

Not the most skillful lad but always gives it 100%. That's all you can ask of the lad.

And in fairness he's done ok. Would play his over Shola any day of the week.

Edited by duo

Best has done okay for us since hes been here, I really can't dispute his work rate. But the amount of chances he spurned against Scunny in the cup was dreadful. I played Northern league level a few years in my youth and I'd of put away most of those chances that he was gifted. He was caught offside way to many times for a top level striker during that game.

Saying that his goalscoring record for us must look nice, can't of played that many full games surely

Sign of the times and the success in lowering of expectations that some are pinning their hopes on this lad. None of our current strikeforce are really good enough to be first choice striker at a big premiership club, that's obvious by the fact none of them have taken the number 9 shirt.

That's not to say Best can't improve or be a useful player for us. His earned some respect through his goals. A lack of options means a run in the team is inevitable. Hopefully he'll up his game in terms of overall play, not getting caught offside and scoring goals. The worrying thing is one of him or Shola does bang in a few goals and then Ashley decides he doesn't need to replace Carrol in the next window either. He probably thinks we're so stupid we'll forget about the 35m if he puts it off long enough.

How many starts for us in the prem?

Is it 8 goals from 16 starts in the prem then?

I think it was Jonny that was questioning his consistency which i think might be a bit unfair. He's going to get a lot of games this season and a run in the side so we'll see if he can either keep his 1 in 2 ratio up or find some better form. He hasnt had a run in the side so its not fair to criticise his level of consistency just yet. The reason i focus on this is because clearly he is not the most talented of footballers so if he can become consistent in his performances it will be a great help. Just not consistently shite.

Edited by ChezGiven

I think it was Jonny that was questioning his consistency which i think might be a bit unfair. He's going to get a lot of games this season and a run in the side so we'll see if he can either keep his 1 in 2 ratio up or find some better form. He hasnt had a run in the side so its not fair to criticise his level of consistency just yet. The reason i focus on this is because clearly he is not the most talented of footballers so if he can become consistent in his performances it will be a great help. Just not consistently shite.

If so, then It's 5 from 2 and 3 from 14 innit.

Its 8 goals in 10 starts in the PL (3 sub appearances). He's usually subbed too so his goals to minutes ratio will be pretty good.

Also reckon Best has had at least 2 good PL goals disallowed (Arsenal for offside and Everton for non-existent push) which would make it 10 in 10! I agree needs a long run in the team before we can really comment on consistency.

He's going to get the run anyway you'd hope, so that one will be answered sooner rather than later.

He's a poor footballer but if the ball ends up in the back of the net that's ok. As has already been mentioned, his work rate is a positive and should mean the fans are more patient and forgiving of his obvious shortcomings. On the flip side, with a run in the side as a first choice starter, the pressure to deliver will be stepped up (obviously quite rightly so), so we'll see how he responds to that. All decent strikers have to respond to that.

Stats mean fuck all tbh. Everyone was creaming over the fact Demba Ba had 7 in 12 for West Ham, he's been awesome so far, not. Same with Best, yeah his stats are ok but we've seen how much threat he actually poses on the pitch.

:D is it the 90's again?

Stats mean fuck all tbh. Everyone was creaming over the fact Demba Ba had 7 in 12 for West Ham, he's been awesome so far, not. Same with Best, yeah his stats are ok but we've seen how much threat he actually poses on the pitch.

:D is it the 90's again?

Delivered the line like Borat as well

The thing about his stats is that it's difficult to read too much into them because he hasn't' played enough yet. He works hard like but, to me at least, he just doesn't 'look the part'. His movement isn't great, he reacts to situations rather than reading them and his touch is average. As the P man says though, if he can keep banging them in, it won't matter. He'll get a few chances to prove himself now anyway.

Best offers us nothing other than an ability to find himself in good positions in the box where he can finish off some of the chances created by others. Unfortunately his finishing isn't good enough, his anticipation is none existent, his pace isnt enough and his movement is gash so he won't score enough and he offers fuck all else to the team (which a forward like Bellamy or Carroll did for us even if they weren't scoring themselves).

He's a championship player just like Shola and Lovenkrands but unfortunately that appears to be all we have fir the moment (early signs for Ba aren't promising but he still has time) so he's probably our best bet. What a fucking disgrace that is by the way!

Edited by David Kelly