My website if anyone needs a photographer

ajax_andy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggestion for you Andy.

Im sure you know that setting up a website is really the easy bit and that actually getting paid and being able to give up your day job is a whole different ball game. Currently eating My curry baked beans on toast and a possible marketing idea came to me.

Im sure you know that one of the ways a lot of studios make money is by offering the "free" photo-shoot or very cheap photo shoot and then make the money when they come to do the viewing by selling the "package".

ie first little photo from the session is free, but then you get the add ons as the proud parents cant bear not to take the other great shots of little johnny and jenny. (Speaking from experience).

Obviously the tough part is getting the customers. So....

Why not get yourself on ebay and try a few different techniques to get the customers rolling in.

I would suggest you start by putting your £125 package on as a auction starting at 99p. This will very quickly rise as lots of people watch and then get caught up in the bidding frenzy at the end. You might not get the full £125, but you will get a decent amount.

or you might simply offer the old winner of a one photo shoot for £25 and then get the sell ons when you go to their home with the full cd to show them. All watermarked etc unless they buy.

Had a quick look and cant see anyone doing this.

Someone done something similar and was caught out. Done it through the groupon think iirc. Personally I'd not go down that route as you sell yourself short. If starting out and you dont have the pressure of it being full time now, then Id push it on and do work that pays well rather than something for nowt. Word of mouth is the best seller you can have and it's free. Just make sure you have a business card to leave with people who use you or enquire with you.

Site looks canny btw. Not fancy landscape stuff? Only asking as you get a lot of hotels / spa's and such wanting images of their grounds etc and I dont think "commercial" quite sells that.

Your costs are fine all things considered.

Good luck with it. Dont think Ill ever head that way myself, I aim to maintain mine as a hobby and do stuff for nowt for now. Mind, if I sold this business or won the lottery then I might consider it :icon_lol:

TBF though he has very little to lose by having one go. Its not like groupon where he might get sucked in for loads of deals, he just simply needs to try the one £125 package first.

It will sell and it will be one customer only.

He can sign up today and be guaranteed a paying job by the end of the week.

The only unknown is what price it goes for, but it will go and the feeding frenzy that ebay creates might bump the price up very high.

Added on to that he can also make reference to his web site driving many potential customers there.

Its a no brainer really.

I wouldnt buy a £125 package but I could quite easily get caught in a bidding frenzy on ebay.

Try it!

Suggestion for you Andy.

Im sure you know that setting up a website is really the easy bit and that actually getting paid and being able to give up your day job is a whole different ball game. Currently eating My curry baked beans on toast and a possible marketing idea came to me.

Im sure you know that one of the ways a lot of studios make money is by offering the "free" photo-shoot or very cheap photo shoot and then make the money when they come to do the viewing by selling the "package".

ie first little photo from the session is free, but then you get the add ons as the proud parents cant bear not to take the other great shots of little johnny and jenny. (Speaking from experience).

Obviously the tough part is getting the customers. So....

Why not get yourself on ebay and try a few different techniques to get the customers rolling in.

I would suggest you start by putting your £125 package on as a auction starting at 99p. This will very quickly rise as lots of people watch and then get caught up in the bidding frenzy at the end. You might not get the full £125, but you will get a decent amount.

or you might simply offer the old winner of a one photo shoot for £25 and then get the sell ons when you go to their home with the full cd to show them. All watermarked etc unless they buy.

Had a quick look and cant see anyone doing this.

Yeah its a good idea, but at the moment I couldnt really cope with too many people booking me as its just something I do in my spare time at the moment. I think if I ever manage to quit the day job this kind of suggestion is great as its about getting the bookings in (any booking is better than none if it's paying the bills), and also the groupon thing is another possible avenue. At the moment I want to build up more gradually and have a few bookings here and there to build the experience and portfolio more before really pushing my services too much.

Its the same with search engine results, the web designer wants me to do x & y to push my site up in the google ranking so I appear near the top, but I would rather not be up there just yet. I'd be happier taking 10 bookings for next year than 20 or 30... although one day I'd like to be so busy that doing it full time is an option.

TBF though he has very little to lose by having one go. Its not like groupon where he might get sucked in for loads of deals, he just simply needs to try the one £125 package first.

The only unknown is what price it goes for, but it will go and the feeding frenzy that ebay creates might bump the price up very high.

Added on to that he can also make reference to his web site driving many potential customers there.

Its a no brainer really.

I wouldnt buy a £125 package but I could quite easily get caught in a bidding frenzy on ebay.

Try it!

Ahh ok I see what you mean, do it as a one off?

I'll have a think about it, my wife is a marketing and PR manager so i'll run it past here and see what she thinks.

Someone done something similar and was caught out. Done it through the groupon think iirc. Personally I'd not go down that route as you sell yourself short. If starting out and you dont have the pressure of it being full time now, then Id push it on and do work that pays well rather than something for nowt. Word of mouth is the best seller you can have and it's free. Just make sure you have a business card to leave with people who use you or enquire with you.

Site looks canny btw. Not fancy landscape stuff? Only asking as you get a lot of hotels / spa's and such wanting images of their grounds etc and I dont think "commercial" quite sells that.

Your costs are fine all things considered.

Good luck with it. Dont think Ill ever head that way myself, I aim to maintain mine as a hobby and do stuff for nowt for now. Mind, if I sold this business or won the lottery then I might consider it :icon_lol:

Thanks mate :o

Nah not really in to the whole landscape thing, I wanted the site to really focus on people and people only. I know what you mean about places wanting pics of their facilities and grounds etc, I'm doing something for a cafe in Jesmond at the weekend, but tbh I dont really like doing the commercial aspect a great deal and so am not really pushing that angle... I probs can't be too choosy but it doesn't really float my boat.

Well you never know you might fancy doing it one day for a living, I'll give you a shout if I ever need an assistant anyway. I have a wedding lined up for next year so far so i'll speak to you nearer the time to see if you fancy helping out.

Its a no brainer really.

Try it!

I'll have a think about it, my wife is a marketing and PR manager so i'll run it past here and see what she thinks.

The bottom line is all you have to lose is an hour or so of your time.

Its a no brainer really.

Try it!

True but it depends on how many people use Ebay to look for photographers... if not many its not going to lead to a bidding war, and then the shoot + a couple of hours of editing time + my travel costs would all be taken out of the 99p i'd get for doing it (minus ebay fees), so it might not really be worth it.

It's a good suggestion though and one I need to look in to I think in a bit more detail :icon_lol:

Its a no brainer really.

Try it!

True but it depends on how many people use Ebay to look for photographers... if not many its not going to lead to a bidding war, and then the shoot + a couple of hours of editing time + my travel costs would all be taken out of the 99p i'd get for doing it (minus ebay fees), so it might not really be worth it.

It's a good suggestion though and one I need to look in to I think in a bit more detail :icon_lol:

Wait until they have a free listing weekend and set the starting bid at £50.

You could also put your website in your signature on here, as that'll help with getting it in Google search results.

The insertion fee for this sort of thing is free. What you will pay is 10% of the final price so it it goes for £99 you pay £9

Re the start price... Ebay works on a selling frenzy basis ie bidding. People want to believe they have a chance of a bargain. This means they think to themselves they are going to get your £125 package for whatever price they have in their mind such as £30.

As the auction nears its end, you may have 30 people all hoping to steal the item for this price, however the price starts to go up and then "must have it" mentality takes over. The price is now immaterial to the warfare of beating a fellow ebayer to the prize.

Simply starting at £40 takes away that bargain factor and most will just pass it by.

This is a no brainer for so many reasons.

It will get you a paid job this week

It will get you maybe a few hundred hits to your website from people interested in having a shoot done

It will cost you no more than 10% of the selling price and an hour or so of your time.

If it doesnt work, never mind, if it does...... :icon_lol:

The insertion fee for this sort of thing is free. What you will pay is 10% of the final price so it it goes for £99 you pay £9

Re the start price... Ebay works on a selling frenzy basis ie bidding. People want to believe they have a chance of a bargain. This means they think to themselves they are going to get your £125 package for whatever price they have in their mind such as £30.

As the auction nears its end, you may have 30 people all hoping to steal the item for this price, however the price starts to go up and then "must have it" mentality takes over. The price is now immaterial to the warfare of beating a fellow ebayer to the prize.

Simply starting at £40 takes away that bargain factor and most will just pass it by.

It will get you maybe a few hundred hits to your website from people interested in having a shoot done

It will cost you no more than 10% of the selling price and an hour or so of your time.

haha i honestly know what you're saying here, but it really depends on how many people go on Ebay to look for a photographer. If it's not many then there will be no bidding war and one person will pick it up for 99p and minus the 9p charge ebay take i'll be doing it for 90p which probably woulnd't even cover my petrol costs :o

I'm not saying its a bad idea either, just one I need to look in to in more detail.

My mate works for the Chronicle and has already said he can get me in their Groupon style offer system if I want to get some quick business in, but at the moment I'm just looking to build up very slowly. I have a couple of commercial/pr shoots booked in for this weekend and October, and a engagement shoot in October too. I'm wary of getting in too much work too quickly, I'm only just starting out so things need to grow at a slow pace to begin with.

Once I feel more comfortable with doing it as a business then thats when I need to look at pushing it more and using things like groupon, ebay and other offer sites, posting on wedding forums and getting my name and website out there for the world to see.

Just want to take it one step at a time to begin with and let it grow organically

aye they do that in a lot of the studios round here, cheap session with a free 7" photo, but you have to make an appointment to come back and get said photo, plus see all the other pics in bigger sizes at the cost of a couple of grand.

Like CT says i'd say a lot of people will opt for at least picking one of them for a couple of hundred, but in turn you get a lot of stubborn lads who will do nothing but go for the freebie so it's a lot of time spent for £20-50 by the end of it when they do that.

Need to be turning over a lot of sessions to make it viable and cope with ppl like above i'd have thought.

At the moment I'm trying to avoid the almost hidden charges a lot of photographers do, like doing the shoot for free and then charging through the nose for the prints.

My ethos to begin with is "this is what you pay for, and this is what you get"... obviously in the future if I manage to establish myself properly i'd have to be more ruthless about bringing in the money, but for now i want to be seen more as an honest photographer, than just another one who hides his charges (if that makes sense?)

Kinda how Venture works. They stand around in the metro centre giving away leaflets offering a free photo session and a framed picture for £10 or something. They do that as the hook is to get you to buy bigger prints where their prices rocket.

haha i honestly know what you're saying here, but it really depends on how many people go on Ebay to look for a photographer. If it's not many then there will be no bidding war and one person will pick it up for 99p and minus the 9p charge ebay take i'll be doing it for 90p which probably woulnd't even cover my petrol costs :(

I'm not saying its a bad idea either, just one I need to look in to in more detail.

My mate works for the Chronicle and has already said he can get me in their Groupon style offer system if I want to get some quick business in, but at the moment I'm just looking to build up very slowly. I have a couple of commercial/pr shoots booked in for this weekend and October, and a engagement shoot in October too. I'm wary of getting in too much work too quickly, I'm only just starting out so things need to grow at a slow pace to begin with.

Once I feel more comfortable with doing it as a business then thats when I need to look at pushing it more and using things like groupon, ebay and other offer sites, posting on wedding forums and getting my name and website out there for the world to see.

Just want to take it one step at a time to begin with and let it grow organically

My last word on this, I promise :icon_lol:

I sell all the time on ebay and have listed products that I want over £500 for starting at 99p. This is the whole principle of how auctions work.

My way gets you one go, one customer. Groupon would be a nightmare if you are wanting to grow small.

Stop thinking man and give it a go (I can guarantee that I will bid a lot more than 99p :o )

The economy needs action not thinkers!!!!!

Kinda how Venture works. They stand around in the metro centre giving away leaflets offering a free photo session and a framed picture for £10 or something. They do that as the hook is to get you to buy bigger prints where their prices rocket.

Our lass has done this countless times and cost me hundreds over the years. The last time was on a wednesay on the corner of grey street about 60 minutes before the 2nd Keegan appointment broke.

Thanks for explaining how auctions work, they've always baffled me! :icon_lol:

Your suggestion is only fine btw if there's lots of people interested. To get the item listed for free you need to set the starting bid at 99 pence and have a "no frills" listing. If only one person bids then Ajax_Andy has to give a £125 photo session for 99p (less eBays final valuation fee), which is a complete waste of his time and money.

Of course, as you've suggested it and are clearly an expert in all things eBay, I'm sure you'd help him out and up the bid should there be no takers. :o

haha i honestly know what you're saying here, but it really depends on how many people go on Ebay to look for a photographer. If it's not many then there will be no bidding war and one person will pick it up for 99p and minus the 9p charge ebay take i'll be doing it for 90p which probably woulnd't even cover my petrol costs :(

I sell all the time on ebay and have listed products that I want over £500 for starting at 99p. This is the whole principle of how auctions work.

My way gets you one go, one customer. Groupon would be a nightmare if you are wanting to grow small.

Stop thinking man and give it a go (I can guarantee that I will bid a lot more than 99p :o )

Haha I just googled "photography session newcastle" - zero hits. "photography newcastle" gave one hit and that was a wedding package at £350.

I honestly dont think its the right medium to be pitching too... I dont know anyone who when looking for a photographer would go to ebay. If there are other sites like it that deal more with services than products then it'd be a great idea, but I'm struggling to see even one person bidding let alone enough to make it worth my time.

I'd be better off standing on Northumberland Street handing out fliers with a good offer than advertising on Ebay I think.

I like your idea, but I think it would need to be pitched via the correct medium.

Haha I just googled "photography session newcastle" - zero hits. "photography newcastle" gave one hit and that was a wedding package at £350.

I honestly dont think its the right medium to be pitching too... I dont know anyone who when looking for a photographer would go to ebay. If there are other sites like it that deal more with services than products then it'd be a great idea, but I'm struggling to see even one person bidding let alone enough to make it worth my time.

I'd be better off standing on Northumberland Street handing out fliers with a good offer than advertising on Ebay I think.

I like your idea, but I think it would need to be pitched via the correct medium.

Honestly, my very last word.

Go and have a look at ebay and see all the other people selling their services on Ebay. Around Newcastle alone there are 6 or 7 wedding car hire companies selling on ebay.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Honestly, my very last word.

Go and have a look at ebay and see all the other people selling their services on Ebay. Around Newcastle alone there are 6 or 7 wedding car hire companies selling on ebay.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Haha I know what you're saying I honestly don't think enough people use ebay for this type of thing for the bid to get anything up to it being worth my time. I got married last year at not once did I think of using ebay to book any sort of service... and believe me I buy EVERYTHING off ebay lol (well except my bride, she came from a russian site... thats a joke btw)

I'll do you a deal though, if I look in to it in more detail and decide to give it a go, I'll let you know and keep you updated on how it went. :(

What was Huffty like to work with Andy?

And CT, stick to Taxis you fucking idiot.

:icon_lol:

Hufty's really nice... did I mention on here that I had met her before ? I dont remember saying that lol!

But yeah she does a great job at the West End Women and Girls group and was always very pleasant to deal with.

What was Huffty like to work with Andy?

And CT, stick to Taxis you fucking idiot.

:lol:

Hufty's really nice... did I mention on here that I had met her before ? I dont remember saying that lol!

But yeah she does a great job at the West End Women and Girls group and was always very pleasant to deal with.

You didn't, I noticed her in the wedding photos.