Sign in to follow this  
Dr Kenneth Noisewater

PC suddenly running very s-l-o-w-l-y

My pc runs Windows XP and was absolutely fine on friday.

However this morning it took forever to start up. XP must've took 10-15 mins to open itself up and even things like opening the control panel or task manager are taking 15 seconds.

Windows Security Centre is also reporting that no anti-virus software is installed even though AVG Free says its up-to-date and running properly??

I did a full scan with AVG (which usually takes about half an hour; 2 hours + today) and am currently doing a scan with Malware Bytes (2hrs 32mins and counting...)

Any advice on what might be a non virus or malware cause, or should I go over to the spyware hammer forum and let them look at it?

There's a couple of things to try;

* Run combofix link to repair

* Disable AVG and try switching everything off (>start>run>msconfig), if it makes it quicker try enabling one at a time. you'll need to reboot after each change.

* Run "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" link

Might try that tomo. Currently running a checkdisk and it finding lots of corrupt files, which it never has done before. I reckon the hard disk is goosed.

It's a Seagate Barracuda, do they have a reputation for letting go?

Guest CabayeAye

You probs should avoid surfing gay dwarf stumping snuff sites in the future. Top tip.