Extreeeeeeeme Migraines

ajax_andy

I get pretty extreme migraines occasionally... must have had one in my sleep last night as got a pain in the top right hand side of my head and feel completely confussed and spaced out.

Anyone get migraines that are above the standard ones? i.e. one's that leave you completely retarded for a day or more after?

Any tips on trying to get back to a normal state of mind quicker? I really can't concentrate on my work one bit.

I used to get pretty extreme ones regularly, i.e tunnel vision, loss of speech, loss of correct movement, numb hands, vomiting, occasionally collapsing.

From my experience the worst thing you can do is try to be normal, take a couple of very strong pills - migraleve being the best & lie down in a dark room till it's ok.

I get 'minor' ones now but it still affects the vision & speech, even now I have to try & sleep it off.

I used to get pretty extreme ones regularly, i.e tunnel vision, loss of speech, loss of correct movement, numb hands, vomiting, occasionally collapsing.

From my experience the worst thing you can do is try to be normal, take a couple of very strong pills - migraleve being the best & lie down in a dark room till it's ok.

I get 'minor' ones now but it still affects the vision & speech, even now I have to try & sleep it off.

Yeah it's more the after effects rather than the migraine itself tbh... When I have a migraine its really is the full works with the aura and everything, but this is more the after effects I'm experiencing today.

In all honesty I dont remember having the migraine attack as I woke up like this, I'm guessing i had it in my sleep which is a new one for me :D

I would be quite tempted to lie down and sleep for a bit but unfortunately at work, so I'm trying to find a way of getting my brain functioning properly as I can't concentrate and even inputting stuff on a spreadsheet is baffling me lol!

I've tried food and coffee but neither seems to be helping :D

My mate Andre cured mine ( I had them for a brief period about 5 years ago)...By tapping on my head with a tiny bit of tree bark. True story.

:D Andre the Magnificent?

:) Haven't seen it.

He doesn't exist as far as I'm aware. But that's what I would go by if I could cure ailments with tree bark. :D

Yeah it's more the after effects rather than the migraine itself tbh... When I have a migraine its really is the full works with the aura and everything, but this is more the after effects I'm experiencing today.

In all honesty I dont remember having the migraine attack as I woke up like this, I'm guessing i had it in my sleep which is a new one for me :D

I would be quite tempted to lie down and sleep for a bit but unfortunately at work, so I'm trying to find a way of getting my brain functioning properly as I can't concentrate and even inputting stuff on a spreadsheet is baffling me lol!

Have you changed your routine drastically in any way recently?

My mate Andre cured mine ( I had them for a brief period about 5 years ago)...By tapping on my head with a tiny bit of tree bark. True story.

:D Andre the Magnificent?

:) Haven't seen it.

He doesn't exist as far as I'm aware. But that's what I would go by if I could cure ailments with tree bark. :D

:up:

Have you changed your routine drastically in any way recently?

No but I did feel pretty knackered yesterday as was on my feet for most of the day Saturday working, then didn't sleep great on the night time, then did loads yesterday, then went swimming and for a steam and a sauna... I reckon its possible I over did it a bit?

Haha seriously?

Yeah. He used to carry it around with him. :D

haha I'm far too confussed today to try and work out if you're having a laugh :D

The cure for not being able to concentrate on work is to ring in sick btw.

Haha well yeah there is always that but I'd rather be here and do no work than ring in sick as they are funny about you being off at my work

They're funny about it everywhere. You just need to bring them round to your way of thinking....

Sounds like you could be massively dehydrated. Have you drank much water since your swimming and sauna? And were you already hungover when you went for them?

I used to get migraines a lot as a kid, but rarely get them now, but usually when I do it's down to dehydration. If you were hungover, went swimming where you don't really realise you're sweating, then went for a sauna, if you haven't taken on a shit load of fluids since then you'll be dehydrated which will fuck with your brain function too.

Edited by Gemmill

Haha well yeah there is always that but I'd rather be here and do no work than ring in sick as they are funny about you being off at my work

They're funny about it everywhere. You just need to bring them round to your way of thinking....

Yeah I tried that by having 6 consecutive weeks off 3 years ago, 9 consecutive the year after, followed by 5 last year... they weren't very impressed lol!

Yeah I tried that by having 6 consecutive weeks off 3 years ago, 9 consecutive the year after, followed by 5 last year... they weren't very impressed lol!

:D that's some impressive boundary testing. And I thought I was good at sickies!

Sounds like you could be massively dehydrated. Have you drank much water since your swimming and sauna? And were you already hungover when you went for them?

I used to get migraines a lot as a kid, but rarely get them now, but usually when I do it's down to dehydration. If you were hungover, went swimming where you don't really realise you're sweating, then went for a sauna, if you haven't taken on a shit load of fluids since then you'll be dehydrated which will fuck with your brain function too.

Andy, the doctor has spoken. Just making sure you didn't miss it.

Yeah I drank a fair bit yesterday tbh, took a bottle of water with me to the pool and drank that, and several cups of herbal tea afterwards, but I could have been dehydrated still from Saturday as it was hot and I was busy, then i drank some wine and a whiskey on the night time.

In fact I used to suffer badly from insomnia which i eventually worked out was partly due to dehydration... I didn't sleep well on Saturday night and had a restless sleep last night, so I think you might have hit the nail on the head regarding the cause... probably a period of not being properly hydrated stretching back to Saturday day time.

Now I just need to work out how to get my brain functioning properly again, but I'm guessing that'll probably just be a case of sleep tonight.

:lol: that's some impressive boundary testing. And I thought I was good at sickies!

Haha yeah I had Pleurisy the 1st time (infection of the lung lining), had my tonsils out the 2nd year and got an infection, then had a mega migraine last year that screwed up my vision so bad I couldnt even look at a PC screen for over a month and something that hasn't completely gone away 18 months later (and probably never will).

I'm seriously awesome at getting ill lol!