Aston Villa v NUFC - Sat 17th September 3PM

Tooj

If we're looking to play Ben Arfa in a free role when be returns, we should already be looking to try this with the players that we've got. So I'd like to see Marveaux in the same role away at Villa, then he can also interchange with Obertan and Jonas. Although the way Obertan's playing, Sammy would be a better option at the moment. At least he's got some drive and is willing to run at people with the ball.

Plus, I'm off to this. :lol:

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're looking to play Ben Arfa in a free role when be returns, we should already be looking to try this with the players that we've got. So I'd like to see Marveaux in the same role away at Villa, then he can also interchange with Obertan and Jonas. Although the way Obertan's playing, Sammy would be a better option at the moment. At least he's got some drive and is willing to run at people with the ball.

100% agree with ya there! Id play marveux behind a striker untill ben arfas fit, we just get overrun and dominated in midfield playing 442

100% agree with ya there! Id play marveux behind a striker untill ben arfas fit, we just get overrun and dominated in midfield playing 442

I was thinking just that myself to get used to the system we'll employ with HBA.

Regardless what system we use, we'll lose 4-0 I think, there's a big wake up call in the post.

Dont wanna loose 4-0 to anybody but especially that lot! Just rememberin the day we went down and the way they laughed and sang at our fans n players makes me fuckin angry still. Plus theyr a poxy club who think theyr bigger than they are.

Cant see a 4-0 like, reckon pardew will put out a different side and formation, id take another draw

Not for nothing but Sameobi did absolutely nothing except turn the ball over when he came on against players who had been running around for almost 90 minutes. Scored a wonderful goal against a League One side, but let's not rush things.

Their pace on the wings will be the most damning factor for us as they'll be coming up against Simpson and Taylor who just cannot cope with speed at all, plus Dunne and Collins will have whoever we play up front in thier back pocket.

A change to 4-5-1 needs to happen as if we go with 4-4-2 we'll get dominated all game

i can see the luck we've been enjoying so far finally disappearing and us getting turned over here. our only hope i reckon is to drop one of the front men, flood the midfield and try to nick one off a ryan taylor set piece.

We wont get anything. Im sure of it. Judging from our previous games, we are shit out of luck for the rest of the season.

Unless we magically manage to tie together our midfield, which we are not able to do atm. Having both Cabaye and Tiote lying deep, we are inviting their entire midfield to a fucking dinner party.

Unneccesary at best, 0-5 at worst if some team have a good day at work.

If we are getting steamrolled by Q P fucking R, Villa ( which is a far better team) wont be any less of a one-way shag.

Edited by Saltwater

Villa arent great shakes and hence we shouldn't automatically lose. The benefit of the QPR game (aside from the point) is that the weaknesses were obvious. Some we can't do anything about (personnel) but others are areas where Pardew should have taken a lesson (gap between midfield and strikers, midfield too deep, no linking play). If we focus on addressing that alone then we should do better in terms of our own performance. If we line up in exactly the same way however then he wants shot with shit.

We wont get anything. Im sure of it. Judging from our previous games, we are shit out of luck for the rest of the season.

Unless we magically manage to tie together our midfield, which we are not able to do atm. Having both Cabaye and Tiote lying deep, we are inviting their entire midfield to a fucking dinner party.

If we are getting steamrolled by Q P fucking R, Villa ( which is a far better team) wont be any less of a one-way shag.

Pardoo's got his work cut out to get a draw unless there's a quantum improvement in our play.

I'm going for 2-0 to them, based on the QPR performance and our general toothlessness in front of goal.

Pardoo's got his work cut out to get a draw unless there's a quantum improvement in our play.

I'm going for 2-0 to them, based on the QPR performance and our general toothlessness in front of goal.

If only got in front of goal... everything beyond the centre half seems to induce a hive mind "oh my god what do we do? WHAT DO WE DO? Fuck it lets just hoof it. TIMBER"

Edited by Saltwater

I have a mate who is a villa fan and he reckons villa are just like us! Playing crap and ready for a good hiding from a team. I just wonder is we can be that team. Our strikers aren't completely toothless. Strangely Leon Best approaches the game like an assassin. He blends in to the background unseen before unleashing a strike. He gets his chance every game, nearly won the QPR game with a good turn and strike.

Personally, left back worries me. Raylor has done a good job at free kicks however I would put Gutierrez at left back with Marveux as a left winger. Hopefully Demba Ba will look sharper this game. Seems to be!

agreed! I think gutierrez would be an excellent left back choice compared to Ryan Taylor. Also gives Marveaux a proper run. Imagine if Jonas picked up the torch and gave us an excellent 2 months as a left back while santon was tending to his legionaire wounds. He would rise to a deity in my eyes, Id get a spiderman tatoo actually..

Jonas at full-back? Well it certainly worked for Argentina at the WC.

You have to put it in perspective though. Im not saying he would - even in the best of circumstances - would be anything other than a average Left back.

Im saying compared to Ryan Taylor he could turn out to be excellent.

Compared being the operative word here.

never seen him play there but might be worth a go. Difficult to justify Raylor after the QPR showing. Take his free kicks out of the equation and he's a liability. Much like Shola. I suppose the question is whether you lose too much by moving Jonas to LB....

You have to put it in perspective though. Im not saying he would - even in the best of circumstances - would be anything other than a average Left back.

Im saying compared to Ryan Taylor he could turn out to be excellent.

Compared being the operative word here.

Agree to an extent. Raylor is a midfielder/right back (or maybe not an actual footballer) playing at left back so if we're going to play someone out of position then Jonas might do a less awful job of it. Such a plan may well go tits up though and we lose the free kick threat by leaving Raylor out.

Edited by TicTacWoe

I think playing Jonas at LB is a terrible option, thing is its less terrible than playing Raylor there.

Jonas puts a good shift defensively by tracking back but he doesn't strike me as positionally aware enough to play well in the backline.

In saying that, at least he would offer something going forward and would be an outlet coming out of defence. I think that has been our most obvious problem thus far compared to last year. There is no one to bring the ball out of defence so the ball is aimlessly hoofed upto our strikers who are isolated and terrible at maintaining or gaining possession.

I think the gap between our strikers and midfield is partially the result of this. In defence the midfielders fold back, defenders win the ball, hoof it clear to striker(s) who are all alone, midfielders don't have time to get forward in support, we lose possession, repeat step one.

At least with Jonas at fullback he can bring the ball forward and attempt to stretch the defence of the opposition, add to that that he couldn't possibly be anymore of a liability in defence than Raylor.

Why not give it a go now rather than waiting for Raylor's shortcomings to bite us the second we play a team with a quality right winger? Note: I don't consider SWP a quality winger.

This is what frustrates me the most about Pardoo. He waits until the problems we have, that everyone can see, are brought to light in the most obvious and more importantly costly way before acting. eg. Perch

On top of all that he starts Shola rather than a fully fit Demba Ba. Crime to humanity...

Ameobi wasn't fit. Or bothered. Or both. Either way it would be utterly baffling if Shola made the starting line up. I wouldn't even have him on the bench.