Obertan: Earths' gravity is no match for him.

Park Life

Obviously a different game to you, gobshite.

He took about 20 touches everytime on the wing, when he should have crossed it. Watch the match again on football first or something, he was shocking. It's a tragedy that Ben Arfa isn't getting a game ahead of him.

Edited by Flair

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously a different game to you, gobshite.

He took about 20 touches everytime on the wing, when he should have crossed it. Watch the match again on football first or something, he was shocking.

3 occasions when he was indecisive, once when cissé was in an offside position anyway, so twice he should have done better.

Guest CabayeAye

I am just giving you my opinion. I genuinely thought he was awful.

Just concede the point man, Obertan did well and Ben Arfa has had two shit games. I love Barfa too, but there's no point in judging players off reputation alone. Leave that to the SSN pundits.

Just concede the point man, Obertan did well and Ben Arfa has had two shit games. I love Barfa too, but there's no point in judging players off reputation alone. Leave that to the SSN pundits.

I am not going to concede something which I don't believe in. It is a forum afterall. :razz:

On the wing, there were several occasions when he should have crossed it straight away but he didn't. Often, the immediate chance that would have presented with a quick ball was lost out on. I am referring more to the second half. When he did cross it, it was decent. Though, once he crossed it behind every single player and sometimes he was so slow, it got blocked. When Danny Guthrie played a 60-70 yard cross-field ball, he reacted slowly, he should have been on it straight away. He gave the ball away needlessly a few times aswell.

Obertan had about 50million chances before he got dropped. Ben Arfa had two bad games after a series of good performances off the bench/in the cups, he deserves a chance.

Edited by Flair

You can see his decision making isnt top notch and he is never going to be a world-beater in terms of creating chances and scoring wondergoals. But his work-rate was top notch today, and he did worry the opposition a bit. His spell on the bench seems to have given him a kick up the arse. He had a decent enough game.

Obertan had some good general play and passes today, he got himself in some great positions out on the flank, but as usual, indecision cost the strikers a good delivery. He is so frustrating to watch, 50,000 fans urging him to get the early ball and what does he do? stop dead and let the opposing defence regroup.

Guest CabayeAye

I am not going to concede something which I don't believe in. It is a forum afterall. :razz:

On the wing, there were several occasions when he should have crossed it straight away but he didn't. I am referring more to the second half. When he did cross it, it was decent. Though, once he crossed it behind every single player. When Danny Guthrie played a 60-70 yard cross-field ball, he reacted slowly, he should have been on it straight away. He gave the ball away needlessly a few times aswell.

Obertan had about 50million chances before he got dropped. Ben Arfa had two bad games after a series of good performances off the bench/in the cups, he deserves a chance.

I'm going to start calling you Flair Merson.

You can see his decision making isnt top notch and he is never going to be a world-beater in terms of creating chances and scoring wondergoals. But his work-rate was top notch today, and he did worry the opposition a bit. His spell on the bench seems to have given him a kick up the arse. He had a decent enough game.

Like I said elsewhere, his main problem seems to be that he does better when he doesn't have much or any time to make a decision on what to do. Had a few good touches today but his decision-making messes things up. His movement is good, his dribbling is alright, his pace is decent, can get stuck in defensively, can pass, a few nice touches...

If he could just make a decision and stick to it when he gets a bit of space he'd be a lot better for it. Takes far too long to decide whether to shoot or cross and often chooses the wrong option.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

The main problem with Obertan is that it seems like when he gets the ball he doesnt know what to do with it. All the best players have an idea of what they're going to do before they do it. Its the opposite with Obertan. He doesnt seem to have much football instinct.

EDIT: Bascially what Monroe said...

Edited by PutDaTeamOnMyBackDoe

He played well today, actually ran at opponents and tackled well. He has no end product but if he can work hard like this we can't moan about him too much, if he goes back to hiding from the ball and shirking tackles Pardew should drop him asap it seemed to have kicked him up the arse.

I think he did alright today. He suffers indecision badly when in/around the box with the ball at his feet, but seems to be pretty effective at getting there in the first place.

Edited by trophyshy

Obertan had some good general play and passes today, he got himself in some great positions out on the flank, but as usual, indecision cost the strikers a good delivery. He is so frustrating to watch, 50,000 fans urging him to get the early ball and what does he do? stop dead and let the opposing defence regroup.

Totally agree.

I can understand his hesitancy to a point, he's shit quick and until now (the arrival of Cisse) if he just went straight for the byline there'd be no fucker in the box. Now however Pardew should be telling him just fucking go for the byline straight away, no thinking just do it, get to line and fire it across. Now there's someone in the team who may arrive in the box with pace.

How many times have we seen balls played into the box and no bugger there this season.

He's still a relative bairn as well, if he's no better next season, then's the time to "have a go" at him. Way too soon just now.

Edited by Toonpack

He did a couple of things really well either side of half time which were promising... but then quickly fell back into being incredibly frustrating in his decision making. He is so slow in his execution that he negates any advantage he gains with his pace. Compare that with Guthrie today who knew how to quickly do what he wants with the ball.

Strolled around a lot too when they had the ball on our right.

I was really pleased with Obertan today. When he gets the ball, I get a tad excited and think something is going to happen. Total contrast to the other wing where the pair of them just fanny around 90% of the time.

Jonas is in dire need of a rest. Send him to the Bahamas for a few weeks to re-charge his batteries and let the Shaninator loose.

Obertan is only 22 and looks dangerous each time he gets the ball.

The bottom line is that he has pace and can get into the right position. The ability to make the final killer ball will come, especially with a couple of strikers who are prepared to move.

Jonas receives the ball and then just waits for the opposition to come to him. So frustrating.

Matt are you still in Bordeaux? If so, what do they think of him down there?

Yeah. Certainly very exciting player when he first appeared in the team, remember vividly seeing a mate after some cup game where Obertan started for the first time and he was telling me all about how he had run the show. Got shipped out on loan the season they were going for the championship because Blanc needed players he could "rely on" and that was the end of it. He was their "one for the future" player for a while but then they stumbled into this team that won the league and was playing Champions League footy, so had better things to think about when he left.

Was pleased for him in the Summer. A move to a club like NUFC was exactly what he needed. Man United was an offer he couldn't refuse. He tried, it didn't work, good on him for wanting to play more. Surprised at just how poor he's been. Few qualities, and those he has, he doesn't seem to know how to use properly.

I was really pleased with Obertan today. When he gets the ball, I get a tad excited and think something is going to happen. Total contrast to the other wing where the pair of them just fanny around 90% of the time.

Jonas is in dire need of a rest. Send him to the Bahamas for a few weeks to re-charge his batteries and let the Shaninator loose.

Obertan is only 22 and looks dangerous each time he gets the ball.

The bottom line is that he has pace and can get into the right position. The ability to make the final killer ball will come, especially with a couple of strikers who are prepared to move.

Jonas receives the ball and then just waits for the opposition to come to him. So frustrating.

We'd be a good few points worse off if jonas wasn't in our side, CT. (In my opinion). I thought we looked better when Orbatron came on as well to be fair, but to imply Jonas needs a rest? ...... Maybe he does. With our set up, Jonas is invaluable IMO.