Obertan: Earths' gravity is no match for him.

Park Life

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marveaux and Barfa must be scratching their heads wondering how they aren't in the team.

It's because we're 10 games unbeaten. Pardew is playing it by the book - you dont change a winning team. I would like to see both those players involved in the starting lineup and I'm sure we will before long. But why change things when we're on a run like this? Despite my own impatience to see the most talented players on the pitch (I think we'd all like to see Obertan or Best rested and Ben arfa starting), I can see that the manager hasn't put a foot wrong.

Funny, swear I saw Obertan put in a great cross last night.

Ba was unmarked in space in the box, if Obertan had fucked that cross up it would have been spectacularly shit.

Somewhere in the middle, shirley.

Wasn't a great cross given the position of himself and Ba, i.e. it was relatively easy, plus it was slightly behind Ba, but loads of players (including Obertan usually) would've fucked it up in that position too.

Marveau and Barfa must be scratching their heads wondering how they aren't in the team.

Well Marveaux is a left winger isn't he? Jonas has been brilliant. Ben Arfa is a no. 10 and the strikers have been doing well. Plus he's coming back from injury. Easy to see why Pardew hasn't put them in tbh.

Not really. Pardew has to know that obertan is clearly the weakest link in the team and unless his game picks up he has to go. In fact, he should've gone by now. Pardew is working with these plays every day so I'd have thought he'd be coming up with ideas to get his better players on the pitch and making the team stronger. Working on Marveau on the right and a formation slotting Barfa in behind Ba. Let's face it, Best has done OK but surely that can't be our strongest line-up with him and obertan in it.

As for the don't change a winning team argument. I can see that to a certain extent but if you can markedly strengthen your team with a change or two with players coming back from injury, then IMO you do it.

Also, if Marveau and Barfa are fit enough to be on the bench, they are fit enough to play as they are also training every day and have been for quite awhile.

Not really. Pardew has to know that obertan is clearly the weakest link in the team and unless his game picks up he has to go. In fact, he should've gone by now. Pardew is working with these plays every day so I'd have thought he'd be coming up with ideas to get his better players on the pitch and making the team stronger. Working on Marveau on the right and a formation slotting Barfa in behind Ba. Let's face it, Best has done OK but surely that can't be our strongest line-up with him and obertan in it.

As for the don't change a winning team argument. I can see that to a certain extent but if you can markedly strengthen your team with a change or two with players coming back from injury, then IMO you do it.

Also, if Marveau and Barfa are fit enough to be on the bench, they are fit enough to play as they are also training every day and have been for quite awhile.

Aye, so I guess he knows what he's doing, seeing as we're 3rd with the side he keeps putting out. I'm not sure what Marveaux's like tbh. Your argument seems to be he should get a game because you don't rate Obertan. Anyway, I thought Obertan had his best game so far for us so I can't see him being dropped against Everton. Seemed more confident too. The argument that if you're fit enough to be on the bench, you're fit enough to play is so lazy it barely needs to be countered tbh. Especially given HBA is a perfect example of a player who doesn't look ready to play 90 mins but is on the bench to get some game time when he can.

Crocked.

Gabriel Obertan ruled out of Everton clash

GABRIEL OBERTAN has been ruled out of Saturday’s clash with Everton – and the former Manchester United winger could miss a month of action.

The Frenchman has an infection in his toe and after playing his part in the 10-game Premier League sequence, the 22-year-old has left United boss Alan Pardew devastated by what he considers a real blow.

It means that Newcastle must reassess their options out wide against the Toffees with Obertan’s fellow countryman Sylvain Marveaux the prime candidate to replace him, while Danny Guthrie and Dan Gosling are more than capable of playing on the right-hand side of midfield.

Pardew today paid tribute to Obertan’s efforts so far and feels he has an excellent player for the future on his hands.

He told the Chronicle: “Gabby is a really good player for Newcastle to have and I think he’s done fabulous for us so far and his presence has been part of an unbeaten start to the season. I am really, really happy with him.

“On occasions you want to see him open his legs a bit more. But he has to get that fine line between when to attack and when to keep the ball.”

Pardew has always thought of Obertan as a player still learning the trade at Newcastle, especially after limited chances at Old Trafford with Sir Alex Ferguson having an abundance of stars to choose from.

The Scot signed Obertan from Bordeaux but the winger found it tough to break into the side at Man United, and admitted on arrival at Newcastle he had a point to prove.

Pardew added: “Gabby is so quick sometimes it’s easy to expect him to be perfect in everything he does.

“He is still learning because he’d only played 14 or 15 games when he came to us from Manchester United.”

And shedding some light on the injury, Pardew said: “Gabby has an infection in his toe. It looks like he could miss three or four weeks – a big disappointment.”

Meanwhile, Gosling has been placed on standby for the England Under-21s’ qualification double header against Iceland and Belgium next week. Stuart Pearce’s England face Iceland at Colchester United’s Weston Homes Community Stadium on November 10 before heading to RAEC Mons four days later, where they will face Belgium.

Ooos!

We've been more fortunate than I ever remember on the injury front, so I'll not complain, but wear and tear is starting to tell. Fortunately Tiote's the only big miss on the injury front at the moment and his seems shortest term...touch wood.

Er, since when did a toe infection rule you out for a month? Shades of marcelino there like. Will it pave the way for Ben arfa or marveaux to start with jonas moved to the right flank?

It probably is the same as Marcelino but not in the way you mean. The reason his broken finger kept him out so long was because of the advice received from the club doctor rather than the player himself refusing to play. Not defending his time here in general but he gets a bit of a raw deal on that score. I'd imagine this is the same, i.e. they'll be following medical advice. Sniffer'll be pleased anyway.

Big chance for Marveaux now, and I'm not even sure it's an absolutely major negative, I think Marveaux has what Doctor Science has but a lot more too.

This might have come at just the right time for Marvelous Marvin Marveux.

I think we should change the thread title to just his name, he's not crap.

I was thinking the other day of changing it to average. :lol:

The one game he hasnt started, we've lost. Looks suited to how Pardew wants us to play, provided an excellent outlet away at Stoke and competed well for the ball in defence and was fairly good going forward. In short, he's decent enough to play in a high performing side so even if he is average, i dont see why he should be singled out.

I quite like the idea of one thread per player and the title edited ever so often to reflect the latest view on the player.

To be fair he did fuck all apart from his cross at Stoke, apart from chase balls and press, and I think the point that he didn't start at Blackburn was irrelevant considering we lost the game when he was on. He works hard though and will be a decent squad member, but this exposes how thin the squad is. Two injuries and we're thinking awe ffs Lovenkrands might have to come on and also if Marveaux or Jonas gets injured what do we do then? Call Lua Lua back? If Ashley fell in the Tyne now he'd bob up floating on a stolen Picasso with a salmon in his mouth. Lucky fat bastard. We are short and it's squarely down to him and Llambias.

The one game he hasnt started, we've lost. Looks suited to how Pardew wants us to play, provided an excellent outlet away at Stoke and competed well for the ball in defence and was fairly good going forward. In short, he's decent enough to play in a high performing side so even if he is average, i dont see why he should be singled out.

I quite like the idea of one thread per player and the title edited ever so often to reflect the latest view on the player.

Singled out is rather strong...Would have thought you would have understood the tongue-in-cheek nature of the usage of the world 'crap'.

Many thought he was for a number or weeks.

Think he's done alright in a couple of games fwiw...But does that merit the revisionism on the scale of the euro bailout package?

We all want him to do well.

Er, since when did a toe infection rule you out for a month? Shades of marcelino there like. Will it pave the way for Ben arfa or marveaux to start with jonas moved to the right flank?

The general foot area is rather important in this sport.

Singled out is rather strong...Would have thought you would have understood the tongue-in-cheek nature of the usage of the world 'crap'.

Many thought he was for a number or weeks.

Think he's done alright in a couple of games fwiw...But does that merit the revisionism on the scale of the euro bailout package?

We all want him to do well.

Yes he is being singled out as we dont have is Mehdi Abeid or Haris Vuckic crap? threads. He is also only a couple of years older than them two.

I was only suggesting a thread title change, not asking for him to be included in your player of the season thread ;)

To be fair he did fuck all apart from his cross at Stoke, apart from chase balls and press, and I think the point that he didn't start at Blackburn was irrelevant considering we lost the game when he was on. He works hard though and will be a decent squad member, but this exposes how thin the squad is. Two injuries and we're thinking awe ffs Lovenkrands might have to come on and also if Marveaux or Jonas gets injured what do we do then? Call Lua Lua back? If Ashley fell in the Tyne now he'd bob up floating on a stolen Picasso with a salmon in his mouth. Lucky fat bastard. We are short and it's squarely down to him and Llambias.

Am sticking with my theory about Obertan's main problem.

You still peddling this 'lucky bastard' line? Am genuinely annoyed with you for not giving Pardew credit for the job he has done, the fat bastard might have been lucky appointing him, he might have known what he was doing, we'll never know. Whatever, it doesnt matter, Pards has done a cracking job and there is no way you can call our start to this season lucky. Unless you're Happy Face and you like pulling statistics oot your hoop for the sake of argument.

The general foot area is rather important in this sport.

come on though, a month out for a toe infection? sounds a bit excessive doesn't it? i've heard of people playing on with a broken toe before, which tbf would be way more painful. i don't mind him being out for a game or two, not least so we can have a look at marveaux, but really? a month out for a sore toe? he should man up.