Music artists (and their voices) that are like fine wines.

Dolly Potter MD

............ and age with grace, whose vocal gifts have withstood the test of time, and sometimes get better with age.

............ And who, of all these 'good times revisited' type of tours are more like putrified apple cider.

Stevie Nicks remains an enchantress, with both voice and stage presence - she's still the bomb. Eddie Vedder & Maynard Keenan (of Tool and A Perfect Circle) get better with age, and both are mainstays within the industry and there have been many artists (from their era: the end of Motley Crew/Big Haired Bands Era) who have fallen by the wayside, including six feet under as well. I never caught Kate Bush's last couple of LPs, so i don't know how well 'that' voice has held up courtesy of her long hiatus periods. Same applies to Beth Gibbons, one of my favourite voices to listen to, because Portishead has been inactive for a while now.

Artists, and their voices, that descended into the realm of 'shite': Axle Rose (G&R) and Paul Stanley (Kiss) were very ordinary during the last retro performances/tours.

Edited by Year Zero

One i forgot to mention, to be included in the fine wine category, is Chan Marshall. She was a bit of angry ant/tortured soul early on - she could have reached Winehouse's eventual destination. She was a real mess for a while, in a very bad place ie. spent a bit of time in an asylum. The smokiness was always there in her voice, but it was always dwarfed by the anger that was coming out. But as she has gotten older, mellowed out & found peace it's all about that smokey styled vocals now. Arguably the sexiest voice/vocals going around.

Saw Guns n Roses at Leeds Fest last year, left after 5 minutes to go watch Marina and the Diamonds... that's how badly Axl's voice has become.

Conversely, saw Slash at T, and it was a good show, not that he sings or anything, but you know.

Julian Casablancas's voice get's better and better as he ages :lol:

Saw Guns n Roses at Leeds Fest last year, left after 5 minutes to go watch Marina and the Diamonds... that's how badly Axl's voice has become.

Conversely, saw Slash at T, and it was a good show, not that he sings or anything, but you know.

Julian Casablancas's voice get's better and better as he ages ;)

pity angles was an awful album.

one to keep Toonraider happy

tumblr_lkp4akmx5U1qg7r0co1_400.jpg

Wooo hooo :D:lol:

One of the best front men around at the moment. The voice, brilliant guitar player, stage presence and all round cool guy!

And of course you know in a thread like this I have to say Joe Elliott ;) MY very favourite. Yes, the voice is a little tired now, he can't screech like he used to, but still a great rock voice. Loving his music he's done as the Down N Outz too. (Mott the Hoople songs)

wise up it's horrendous it's the worst of all the albums they've brought out.

I'm a massive strokes fan btw seen them 4-5 times, incase you think i'm just slating it because i don't like em

I could tell, quite a few Strokes fans are like that. Personally, I loved Is This It (Aye I was like 8/9 but I had an older brother...) then Room on Fire lost me, First Impressions was so-so but Angles brought me right back.

Oh and also, if Jarvis Cockers as good as he's ever been, Pulp must be even worse than I thought

Pulp are superb, and have been horribly under rated, like Super Furry Animals. The Strokes are alright, but I only really know the stuff when they were big a while ago.

Maybe so, but Pulp are one of the worst bands i've ever seen live.

I think Bono's voice is still good. Love hearing the emotion in it.

I've boycotted U2 for years, used to love them but after playing all over the world, multiple nights various cities in the states.

they came back to Ireland and played 1 night in Dublin, so fuck em.

Fair enough :lol:

When I hear U2's 'Tomorrow' It still gives me goose bumps.

Paul Rodgers has one of "the" great voices and it's never changed over the decades.

Kid Rock's voice is seriously underrated an all.

properly talented ability wise can play a load of instruments etc, but a total and utter twat whose actual material is shabby at best, was listening to that devil without a cause album not so long ago for the first time in years and it's cringeworthy.

Girl i knew from states was a massive KR fan, used to help her design some massive fansite she ran, even she eventually realised he was a cock thankfully.

Being a twat tends to go hand in hand with fame/celebrity.

I do like his latest album though, country-ish and very good IMO

Pulp are superb, and have been horribly under rated, like Super Furry Animals. The Strokes are alright, but I only really know the stuff when they were big a while ago.

Maybe so, but Pulp are one of the worst bands i've ever seen live.

They've always been really good live when I've seen them. I've seen Coldplay live and that was utterly tedious and a waste of my life. The Charlatans are pretty boring too.