There's a cry in the valleys , tears in the West

Mourning the heroes that wear the pit vest

Underground grafters always put in a shift

Below the hillside in the deep dark drift

They're not coming home to their children their wives

... ... The mine once again takes cherished lives

The coalfields of Britain all unite in your mourn

We're all the same breed We're pit village born

Such sad news to hear that all four miners have died one was a childhood friend of my mother.

May the heroes sleep peacefully

RIP

Not meaning to derail, but been on Durham Mining Museum site recently whilst doing family history.

The number of deaths listed in this region alone is staggering.

4 men in my family killed in the pits, all within 3 generations.

Edited by Monkeys Fist

3 listed on that site.

I know someone who has worked on that archive and other regional ones - focusing now on speaking to old miners (while theyre still with us) for their oral histories etc. Really fascinating resource.

I keep meaning to go to Woodhorn Colliery in Ashington, but have never got round to it.

I think they're doing the same work there.

RIP.

Sort of off-topic but relevant to some of the comments about Woodhorn etc. There's a cracking Norman Cornish exhibition on at the Baring Wing Gallery at Northumbria University atm (opposite the Civic Centre). Most of his subject matter is the mining community of Spennymoor (where he was from) in the 60s and Ashington around the same time (reminded him of Spennymoor).

Edited by alex

RIP.

Sort of off-topic but relevant to some of the comments about Woodhorn etc. There's a cracking Norman Cornish exhibition on at the Baring Wing Gallery at Northumbria University atm (opposite the Civic Centre). Most of his subject matter is the mining community of Spennymoor (where he was from) in the 60s and Ashington around the same time (reminded him of Spennymoor).

Thanks for that. I'll check it out if I remember when I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see it yesterday. Interesting stuff, but his work doesn't really get my pulse racing.

Had a tootle down to The Laing as well. Some nice 18th & 19th C paintings. They also had some modern stuff on exhibition too. Yeah, blocks of wood stacked around; art? Yes, but total and utter shit in my opinion.

I see another miner was killed the other day (not to mention the hundreds (?) that get killed across the world which we never hear about). Sad stuff. Thank fuck I don't make my living in that hell hole.