Mutya leaves the Sugababes

Jimbo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4548144.stm

Mutya leaves pop trio Sugababes

Founder member Mutya Buena has left pop trio Sugababes, saying she felt unable to commit to the act for another year.

The 20-year-old was in Sugababes for seven years, as they scored four number one hit singles in the UK.

Buena, who gave birth to first child Tahila in March, will be replaced by a new member to be revealed in 24 hours.

"I felt that the commitment I would need to make to Sugababes over the next 12 months was something that would become compromised by me," she said.

Brit Award

Buena was in the original Sugababes line-up with Keisha Buchanan and Siobhan Donaghy, who had their first hit single Overload in 2000.

Donaghy left the group one year later during a Japanese tour, to be replaced by current member Heidi Range, 22.

The trio went on to have a further three hit albums and number one singles Freak Like Me, Round Round, Hole in the Head and Push the Button - a chart-topper for three weeks in October.

Colourful past of pop's Sugababes

They were named best British dance act at the Brit Awards in 2003 and Freak Like Me was best single at the 2002 Q Awards.

Sugababes are due to tour in March and April and to support Take That on their reunion tour next summer, dates which they said they would honour with an unnamed new singer replacing Buena.

In a statement released on the act's website, Buena said on Wednesday that her decision to quit was "based purely on my personal reasons".

"It was very difficult but definitely not a snap decision," she added.

"There comes a time when everyone wants to re-evaluate their life and what they want out of it."

'Amazing voice'

Buena added that her departure "would never mean the end of Sugababes".

Buchanan said: "It goes without saying that we will all miss Mutya, but we also knew there was still a place for bringing in somebody new who could help us carry on taking the Sugababes brand of music forward."

Range said the act's unnamed new member - chosen by the band's management team - had "an amazing voice" and "looked great".

"When we all met her, we instantly knew she was the only person to share the rest of the journey with us," said Range.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4548144.stm

Range said the act's unnamed new member - chosen by the band's management team - had "an amazing voice" and "looked great".

"When we all met her, we instantly knew she was the only person to share the rest of the journey with us," said Range.

70529[/snapback]

well it seems like it was hardly a snap decision as her replacement had obviously already been lined up.

I think it's a shame whenever original members of a band leave to be replaced by eye candy, am I right in thinking that Mutya played quite a role in the writing of their songs or are they all done to that OMD bloke?

They're shit tbh, the original post highlights the crediblity (or lack) of the Brits and the Q Awards.

70596[/snapback]

they're a decent pop band in my opinion and should be judged solely on that basis. At least 2 or 3 of their songs were excellent pop tunes, but obviously i would never pay for that shit like!

I used to like them when they had Siobhan in the band. They did actually used to write their own stuff then but no bugger bought it. Then they got popular when they were given someone elses pop by numbers to do and I've never liked them since.

Just DEVASTATED by this news :lol:

I have the same empty feeling of when All Saints and Take That split. ;) (I know T/T have reformed - please please please please Robbie join the band again. If I can only have one present for Christmas it would be for Robbie to join the band again) :puke:

Just how will I get through the days? Should I 'phone the Samaritans?

They're shit tbh, the original post highlights the crediblity (or lack) of the Brits and the Q Awards.

70596[/snapback]

they're a decent pop band in my opinion and should be judged solely on that basis. At least 2 or 3 of their songs were excellent pop tunes, but obviously i would never pay for that shit like!

70600[/snapback]

Fair enough, but I satnd by what I said about those awards, especially the Shits, they're never a dance act.

70596[/snapback]

70600[/snapback]

Fair enough, but I stand by what I said about those awards, especially the Shits, they're never a dance act.

70620[/snapback]

I agree with that, the Brits mean about as much as the singles chart when it comes to the quality of music.

70596[/snapback]

70600[/snapback]

Fair enough, but I stand by what I said about those awards, especially the Shits, they're never a dance act.

70620[/snapback]

I agree with that, the Brits mean about as much as the singles chart when it comes to the quality of music.

70625[/snapback]

Cheers for correcting my typo, Merry Crimbo! :lol:

70596[/snapback]

70600[/snapback]

70620[/snapback]

70625[/snapback]

Cheers for correcting my typo, Merry Crimbo! :lol:

70629[/snapback]

pleased you noticed that i corrected it without bringing attention to it to save your blushes!

merry xmas to you too alex!

Little known fact - the band are so called because they're all diabetics.

70640[/snapback]

Should have been sugababesandaminga tbh

70641[/snapback]

;):puke:

Joking aside, she sure is one UGLY muthafucka :lol:

70649[/snapback]

Have always thought she looked weird but recently has been looking a lot better.

Also, at the 'risk' of sounding like a complete pervert, her chebs in the video for (I dunno the single actually, the one where theyre in a rock band) were about as satisfying a pair of chebs as I ever did see, so they were.