Barton on goals on Sunday now

Dr Gloom

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His Twitter patter is shocking. No wonder the club tried to get him off it because he just invites needless scrutiny on himself, something he was getting away from under Hughton. Just because he likes The Smiths instead of JLS, it doesn't make him unique amongst footballers like he seems to think.

Whether the act is selfish or not is obviously open to debate but there was absolutely no need to say it, especially on the day when it had just happened. If it's right that's he's then refused to apologise then he's just being a prick. I've got a bit of time for Barton but he reminds me of Tony Adams when he gave up the drink, i.e. still a fucking divvy but thinks he's clever now just because he's now read a couple of books.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/11/29/2779975/queens-park-rangers-midfielder-joey-barton-reveals-he-quit

Queens Park Rangers star Joey Barton has revealed he quit Newcastle United after a dispute over bonuses.

The mercurial midfielder left St James’ Park over the summer after taking to Twitter to criticise the club’s boardroom staff.

The former Manchester City man has now lifted the lid on the reasons behind his acrimonious departure, claiming he and other Magpies players were forced out of the club after refusing to agree to a bonus proposal.

Barton told the QPR podcast Open All R's: "Newcastle, as a playing squad, were the only club in Premier League history not to sign a bonus sheet. It was unprecedented.

"We refused as a playing staff (to sign) as they tried to railroad the players into signing a bonus sheet.

"In their opinion we were paid workforce. They thought we were Sports Direct and we should do what the subordinates at Sports Direct do, forgetting they were dealing with 20-odd egos, probably 10 self-sufficient men in a position to make a number of different judgements.

"Myself and the bigger-name players at the time advised the playing staff because we were head of the playing committee not to sign the bonus sheet and that filtered back to boardroom level.

"It's no coincidence that I was given away.

"It's all about power and control. They are running the football club and it's going really well for them at the minute but that's more a testament to the players and the fans, and also the manager (Alan Pardew). The manager has been different class."

Barton also claims that the club made a number of promises on which they subsequently failed to deliver.

He continued: "They promised a number of different things and delivered on very few of them.

"At Newcastle I couldn't take to the pitch and lie to the fans and be a part of it. You are doing it for yourself, the fans and the football club but if you fundamentally despise everything that the owners stand for it is very difficult.

"I am a man of principles, I am a very principled individual and for me taking money off fans and taking the p*** out of them is not what I am about. I would rather walk away with my dignity and self-respect intact and I feel I have done that."

He sounds a very bitter man.

I dont understand the bit where it says we are the only club that doesnt have a bonus sheet, yet then refused to sign one?

From what I remember the club offered the players a bonus which they refused to sign, so instead Ashley offered it to all of the other staff involved with the club if they finished in the top half of the table, subsequently the team gave up playing in the 2nd half against West Brom giving away 3 goals meaning we fell outside of the top 10 so no bonus paid.

Since then the people who I think were the main men in the committee have either had the push or the club wants rid.

He sounds a very bitter man.

I dont understand the bit where it says we are the only club that doesnt have a bonus sheet, yet then refused to sign one?

From what I remember the club offered the players a bonus which they refused to sign, so instead Ashley offered it to all of the other staff involved with the club if they finished in the top half of the table, subsequently the team gave up playing in the 2nd half against West Brom giving away 3 goals meaning we fell outside of the top 10 so no bonus paid.

Since then the people who I think were the main men in the committee have either had the push or the club wants rid.

Fucking Mongs on all levels.

or the bit about the players deliberately not playing well knowing it would stick it to the other staff lads on less annually than what some of them earn in a week.

That must have been a coincidence then.

The SD staff have nothing to do with it. He wasn't going to give away that sort of money in order to fuck them over. He may have threatened it in negotiations with the players but it wouldn't have happened imo.

The SD staff have nothing to do with it. He wasn't going to give away that sort of money in order to fuck them over. He may have threatened it in negotiations with the players but it wouldn't have happened imo.

The Mirror reported it the day of the game.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-news-Mike-Ashley-will-pay-unsung-office-staff-500k-bonus-if-team-beats-West-Brom-today-article738839.html

I don't see why he wouldn't, if he's earmarked cash for bonuses then why not spread it through the rest of the club if the players are not happy with it? The bonuses at SD show he's happy to reward everyone with a job well done and not just the main men at the top.

He did pay the staff the bonus when the team fucked up. Nolan went beserk that was part of the rift This is ITK

Really ?? Those poor downtrodded footballers, eh?

From what I've read/heard the players don't get the traditional "win" bonuses anymore, the bonus is an end of year thing based on league position and is on a sliding scale for ALL staff.

Joey Barton claims NUFC made decision to dump him while in prison

Yesterday Joey Barton launched his most vitriolic attack yet on Newcastle United, writes Stuart Rayner

THANKS in no small part to him, it is the dispute which refuses to be silenced. He played for them for another three years, but Joey Barton claims the seeds of his departure from Newcastle United this August began in Walton Prison.

It was Barton’s home for 77 days of 2008 after he was sentenced to six months in prison for assault.

On his release, Barton returned to the Magpies squad and stayed until his acrimonious departure for Queens Park Rangers on a free transfer. Barton claims it was only because the club bungled its attempts to sack him, and from that point on his relationship with “the Ayotallah” – owner Mike Ashley – was irretrievably damaged.

The presenters of Queens Park Rangers’ fan site “Open All R’s” described it as “a podcast not to miss”, but surely even they did not expect the explosiveness to follow. It started with an innocuous question towards what was scheduled to be the end of the broadcast asking “what swung it for Joey to move to QPR?”

Although Newcastle refused to comment, there were plenty of accusations which could keep their lawyers busy. Among the most serious centred around his time in prison.

“A lot of people say to me ‘Newcastle paid your wages when I was in jail’ but they never,” Barton insisted. “I was not paid – not that I wanted to be.

“I was also given a contract from (then-executive director) Dennis Wise saying if I didn’t sign a renegotiated deal, they would sack me.

“(It was) a fifth of the money I was on. I was sitting in a jail cell at the time so I had no real power. As principled as I am I said to my agent at the time, ‘I’ll not sign it, f*** ‘em, I’ll let them sack me, I’m confident I’ll come out of here and get back to the player I was.’ In my opinion, I was getting railroaded into something I didn’t want to do.

“He (Barton’s agent) got a copy of the contract from Wise that he was meant to bring into Walton Prison for me to sign. He took it to his solicitor in London, who put it in a safe. Legally they were bound. They either had to sack me or keep me on the contract I was on. They couldn’t renegotiate.

“Once he phoned them up and told them about the FA’s rules and regulations and the fact he had this contract, they couldn’t then sack me.

“From that moment on a lot of the questions I had for (managing director) Derek Llambias were, ‘Well, hang on, you tried to do this for me when I was having a bad time.’ In my opinion they tried to f*** me when I was at a low time, yet they were demanding loyalty from me three years down the line when I was playing well.

“Derek said, ‘That’s not me, that was Dennis Wise’. At that club Mike Ashley was the Ayotallah – nothing happens without his say-so so in my opinion it came from Mike.”

Since unleashing himself on Twitter earlier this year, Barton has worked hard to paint his own image as a free-thinker, a man of principle and of the people. He has never turned on the fans despite his constant sniping at Ashley (left) and Llambias.

“I really want the club to do well as much as I really don’t like them – because I like the manager and I’ve got a lot of friends at the football club, not only players but members of staff, and I had a great rapport with the fans,” he said.

“The flipside is if Newcastle do well, the people I don’t like are doing well. But there’s more people I like at the club than dislike.

“I’ve got a lot of ill-feeling towards Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias, as have a lot of Newcastle fans but the football club is always going to be bigger than any individual.

“I keep getting told they’re savvy businessmen but dealing with them on a daily basis, which I have, I defy that.”

It was that refusal to bite his tongue which even Barton admits was his undoing on Tyneside.

“I was obviously deemed by the board at Newcastle persona non grata,” he concluded. “They didn’t want me because I asked questions.

“They promised reinvestment of the Andy Carroll money and I was asking where it was. They promised a number of things and delivered on few of them.

“I have to believe in the cause I’m playing for. I couldn’t turn up and just pick my money up. I do it because I want to prove people wrong.

“At Newcastle I couldn’t take to the pitch and lie to the fans and be a part of it. That’s what they were asking us to do. If you fundamentally despise everything the owners stand for it is very, very difficult.

“I am a man of principles, and maybe that’s the reason I’m not at Newcastle. Taking money off fans and taking the p*** out of them is not what I am about.

“I’d rather walk away with my dignity and respect intact and I feel I have done that. Ask any Newcastle fan.”

Gary Speed’s death at the weekend brought back memories of his own acrimonious transfer, to Newcastle from Everton. The Welshman went to his grave refusing to say why he walked out on the club he supported as a boy. Walking away with dignity is generally best done in silence.

Poor joey, the club wanted him to take lower wages of leave. Boo f**king hoo. The club should have sacked him an FA rule loophole is not UK law.

Always the victim. Barton's a c**t, we are well rid. Giving him away for free may have been the best business in the last transfer window.