Thatcher and Hillsborough

Howmanheyman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07bgnkn

Anyone who can watch the last 20 minutes without welling up several times is a double hard bastard.

I was in bits.

Respect for supporters, their families, Scraton and even some of the bobbies grows throughout. Many amazing people I can't imagine having the patience, tenacity and dedication to emulate.

In contrast, those on the opposing side of truth leave you horrified by their indifference, which continues as they refuse to apologise. Utter contempt for the absolute vermin that killed 96, destroyed the lives of hundreds, and institutionalised injustice throughout organisations that are supposed to serve millions of us.

Ashamed to say I'd never seen the footage of Burnham making a speech to 30,000 Liverpool fans at the memorial. The first MP to show up at anything like that... and he got given an idea of the ill-feeling towards successive governments. really powerful stuff....

Genuinely seemed to move him to action. Credit to him for pushing the panel that led to the recent result.

Ashamed to say I'd never seen the footage of Burnham making a speech to 30,000 Liverpool fans at the memorial. The first MP to show up at anything like that... and he got given an idea of the ill-feeling towards successive governments. really powerful stuff....

Genuinely seemed to move him to action. Credit to him for pushing the panel that led to the recent result.

Can't imagine what those families have had to go through for 27 years.He played a big part in the 2010 Hillsborough panel that led to the truth

What I found moving was the word that was used by the fans that was their that day 'exonerated', that not only had they had to experience the disaster and seeing people dieing but it's taken them 27 years to clear there own name

Watched the hillsborough doc last night. A superb piece of filmmaking, made even more powerful by letting the talking heads drive the narrative instead of using a voiceover. Harrowing to watch at times but underscored just how widespread the institutional corruption was in the coverup from the heads of South Yorkshire police to the coroner - what a cunt of a man he was.

Blair and Straw are just as guilty as Thatcher for denying justice for so long. Establishment wankers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07bgnkn

Anyone who can watch the last 20 minutes without welling up several times is a double hard bastard.

I was in bits.

Respect for supporters, their families, Scraton and even some of the bobbies grows throughout. Many amazing people I can't imagine having the patience, tenacity and dedication to emulate.

In contrast, those on the opposing side of truth leave you horrified by their indifference, which continues as they refuse to apologise. Utter contempt for the absolute vermin that killed 96, destroyed the lives of hundreds, and institutionalised injustice throughout organisations that are supposed to serve millions of us.

I'm watching it this evening while my missus is out - she won't watch anything on this any more ever since she saw footage of her mate being carried across the pitch on an advertising hoarding, his arms flailing down and a towel wrapped tightly around his face.

I feel for the families - they've spend so long fighting this that it's become their life mission. Some of them really won't know what to do with their time because this struggle has been all consuming. Some of them haven't properly grieved yet all these years on.

As for SYP, the least said the better. Clearly they're as corrupt today as they were 27 years ago. Whole force needs disbanding.

The coroner does seem to have had an easy ride since the verdict - testing 10 year Olds blood for alcohol being among his worst crimes.

The original coroner? Stefan Popper died in March this year.

The original coroner? Stefan Popper died in March this year.

There are a few guilty parties who've "escaped" by death but that shouldn't stop their failings being noted.

There are a few guilty parties who've "escaped" by death but that shouldn't stop their failings being noted.

Agreed.

• 3 years later...

Duckinfield not guilty of gross negligence manslaughter. 

He tokd the first lie, that the fans had forced their way into the ground by breaking down the exit gate into the leppings lane end. 

The judge in his summing up said that this established fact wasn't proof of guilt. 

The jury though found that he wasn't alone in being guilty of the offence and believed the defence case that Duckinfield alone shouldn't be singled out for prosecution. 

Someone a lot cleverer than me is going to have to explain this particular parcel of fuckin shit. 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, NJS said:

British law at its best - completely blank slate allowing all the old lies to be used again by his defence. 

Spot on :good:

Here they were in the hands of the legal establishment, watching a stripped-down framing of another new set of truths, as if nothing had ever been decided or admitted before, in 30 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/28/how-david-duckenfield-trial-left-hillsborough-families-distraught-again

• Like 3

12 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Spot on :good:

Here they were in the hands of the legal establishment, watching a stripped-down framing of another new set of truths, as if nothing had ever been decided or admitted before, in 30 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/28/how-david-duckenfield-trial-left-hillsborough-families-distraught-again

mind blowing article, or it would be if you weren't aware of the absolute contempt the police had for football supporters during that era. not much, if anything, has changed.

duckenfield is suffering from ptsd?

is he fuck, he suffers from a complete lack of compasion or remorse and has done for 30 years.

he's a fucking lamentable, lying criminal.

nothing else.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

mind blowing article, or it would be if you weren't aware of the absolute contempt the police had for football supporters during that era. not much, if anything, has changed.

duckenfield is suffering from ptsd?

is he fuck, he suffers from a complete lack of compasion or remorse and has done for 30 years.

he's a fucking lamentable, lying criminal.

nothing else.

After the second inquest found all 96 fans were unlawfully killed I think there was a collective decision made that that was all the "justice" the families were going to get

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ugly Mackems said:

Maybe the prosecution going forward should be against the relevant police force charged with policing Hillsborough (SYP no doubt) rather than an individual. 

Albeit knowing some stuff, I am no expert in English criminal law, but the corporate manslaughter act dates from 2007. would it even be possible to charge non individual entities for a failing in 1989?