Thatcher and Hillsborough

Howmanheyman

I've read the book by Brian Reade. He devotes quite a lot to Hillsborough. He puts forward some good points about it, and caused me to soften my view that I held before towards Liverpool supporters of the 1980's.

Agree with all the comments in this thread about Thatcher and Moynihan, all of them.

I used to travel up to NUFC home games in the early to mid 80's with the London Branch of the supporters club, we booked a carriage on the 9 o'clock train and got a huge discount. The bag stopped all of that, and we had to pay the full price.

Newcastle United supporters had nothing to do with Heysel or Hillsborough, and there was never any trouble on that train, ever. Yet, like all other supporters, we were all treated like scum, and cattle.

Holy Fuck - I must know you

One establishment edifice that's never mentioned is the BBC - I still remember Moira Stewart (not her fault obviously) reading a bulletin at 5pm along the lines of "Hooliganism may not be the cause".

As for Thatcher its one of a million reasons to celebrate her death.

My late Granny met The Iron Lady on a field where she landed in a helicopter in the eighties, (This was on an estate in Belfast), and she thought she was very nice. I loved my Granny, she was very, very funny and a total entertainer. She got it wrong that day, though. :lol:

The day Thatcher dies I will go on the piss all day celebrating.

I hope you burn in hell you old cow. :lol:

Change the national anthem to "Ding Dong the witch is dead" for 48hrs pls :lol:

There was talk of a State Funeral for her when Tone was PM IIRC.

I think you're right. But then that idiot downgraded other things like the honours listings too.

Am I right in thinking the last (and possibly only) PM to have a state funeral is Churchill? WTF has she done that would have been deserving of that?

I think you're right. But then that idiot downgraded other things like the honours listings too.

Am I right in thinking the last (and possibly only) PM to have a state funeral is Churchill?WTF has she done that would have been deserving of that?

She was great on Spitting Image and err, ........?

Am I right in thinking the last (and possibly only) PM to have a state funeral is Churchill? WTF has she done that would have been deserving of that?

If it's in the next 4 years then a state funeral's a cert imo - though even though I think he was a Fascist cunt, I can totally understand how comparisons with Churchill make it look OTT.

One of the things I have against N-O is the number of student wanker apologists who just don't get what she was. I know I sound like an old git with a "you had to live through it to understand" but it holds true in this case. That applies to football pre-Sky as well obviously.

If it's in the next 4 years then a state funeral's a cert imo - though even though I think he was a Fascist cunt, I can totally understand how comparisons with Churchill make it look OTT.

One of the things I have against N-O is the number of student wanker apologists who just don't get what she was. I know I sound like an old git with a "you had to live through it to understand" but it holds true in this case. That applies to football pre-Sky as well obviously.

That's my argument with regards football. Mention "you don't know what it was like pre-1992" and many people think you're accusing them of being a KBJ. But it's bollocks. Our good times happened to coincide with the advent of the Premier League and football as we knew it changed massively.

Even though I was only a kid at the time, i do really miss pre-92 football.

As for Thatcher we should preserve the bitch in formaldehyde if what you say is true.

Think its been mentined before on here about a minutes silence for the fuckin cow at football matches when she finally croaks it...the FA/football lge/Prem Lge would be foolish to say the least to try to impose that on us.

Good points about South Yorkshire Police...the worst of the worst. Older lads said the miners strike made them think they could treat anyone like shite and get away with it. My first visit to Hillsborough was the season before the disaster and ended with a mate in the back of a mariah getting the shit kicked out of him by 3 big brave boys in blue.

When Trevor Hicks was frantically searching for his 2 dead daughters he was told to "shut his fuckin prattle" by another S.Y officer. Nice PR. Didnt Bruce Grobellaar have to tell the copper by the fence to do something as it was obvious there were serious problems when the stupid fucker was just stood there? The man in charge of the operation that day was Superintendant David Duckinfield who got early retirement and a nice pension, whilst he allowed the victims to be smeared, their fellow fans to be vilified and the families lied to. All because Maggie loved the SYP.

Even though I was only a kid at the time, i do really miss pre-92 football.

Obviously theres a nostalgia for our relative youth similar to the way some people stop listening to new music as they get older and declare whichever decade they were in as the best but I still reckon the almost reckless spontaneity of being a football fan in the 80s (or before) is a big miss.

I've read the book by Brian Reade. He devotes quite a lot to Hillsborough. He puts forward some good points about it, and caused me to soften my view that I held before towards Liverpool supporters of the 1980's.

Agree with all the comments in this thread about Thatcher and Moynihan, all of them.

I used to travel up to NUFC home games in the early to mid 80's with the London Branch of the supporters club, we booked a carriage on the 9 o'clock train and got a huge discount. The bag stopped all of that, and we had to pay the full price.

Newcastle United supporters had nothing to do with Heysel or Hillsborough, and there was never any trouble on that train, ever. Yet, like all other supporters, we were all treated like scum, and cattle.

Holy Fuck - I must know you

I sort of kept myself to myself because I met my mates in Newcastle when I got off the train, but Harry Rodden was the lad who organised everything, booked tickets etc, everything went through him.

There was too much of a coincidence of the then Tories propaganda sheet for the masses, (The Sun/News of the World) coming out with their vile, totally fabricated tales for someone somewhere not to have encouraged it. Anyone hear Kelvin McKenzie talking about the Miners strike? He was like a fan telling of how his side beat a derby opponent back in the day, his shit impression of a Union Rep not being happy about something in his old Fleet Street plant spoke volumes. In short a total cunt who went out of his way to get his staff to dig as much dirt on the Miners and then obviously the football supporters of this country. Probably fancied a nice profitable career working for Murdoch and hopefully getting a tap on the shoulder in his old age from The Queen when a Tory PM would no doubt remember his services to the party. They were rife for it. Leon Brittain got involved with some in fighting with Heseltine over a Helicopter contract involving a British company called Westland and eventually took the fall for Maggie in the mid eighties when she was under pressure. A few years later he was knighted. A few years after that he was made a Baron! I think I'll get into politics one day, I'll grease a few palms, scratch a few backs, and Voilà! I'm the Lord Of Walker. :lol:

Talking of honours, Justice Taylor recommended all seater stadia to parliament to which they passed a law making it so and Taylor very soon afterwards becomes Lord Taylor of Gosforth. :lol::lol::o:o

To be fair to him he also said the police were entirely responsible for the deaths at Hillsborough for failing to close the tunnel through to the centre pens before opening the gate.

Talking of honours, Justice Taylor recommended all seater stadia to parliament to which they passed a law making it so and Taylor very soon afterwards becomes Lord Taylor of Gosforth. :lol::lol::o:o

To be fair to him he also said the police were entirely responsible for the deaths at Hillsborough for failing to close the tunnel through to the centre pens before opening the gate.

They were only interested (and listened) to the 'scrapping terraces' bit, mate.

Aye, they were... but he wasn't. Dunno if you've read the reports he did but all seater stadia was only one of many recommendations that he made. They carefully ignored the rest.

Used to come watch the matches as SJP as well, did he not?

Aye, they were... but he wasn't. Dunno if you've read the reports he did but all seater stadia was only one of many recommendations that he made. They carefully ignored the rest.

Well my retired librarian aunt knew him, don't know if he went to the games. He also said it shouldn't be used as an excuse to raise the prices when the converted stands from terraces came into effect. Yeah right!

Think its been mentined before on here about a minutes silence for the fuckin cow at football matches when she finally croaks it...the FA/football lge/Prem Lge would be foolish to say the least to try to impose that on us.

Its going to happen, Rob! :lol:

Well my retired librarian aunt knew him, don't know if he went to the games. He also said it shouldn't be used as an excuse to raise the prices when the converted stands from terraces came into effect. Yeah right!

If I recall correctly Freddie Fletcher was one of the chief beneficies of the recommendations of the Taylor Report. I think the story is he is responsible for re building Ibrox after the disaster there in the 70s. He was on the board there and I think thats where SJH got him from to help with the development of SJP. I think Fletchers own company supplied the actual seats for a large number of the new stadiums that went up in the nineties. Good commercial bloke Fletcher, dont think he's have changed the sign on the East Stand though :icon_lol:

Its going to happen, Rob! :lol:

I won't be in any football ground when thats going on mate. I like a minutes silence, The atmosphere directly after the ref blows to end the minute is brilliant. The applause thing isnt the same but if you didnt like the person recently deceased at least you dont have to clap if you dont want to. But she can fuck off. It'll be another PR diasater for the powers that be if they try to make clubs do it after what she tried to do to football supporters.