Thatcher and Hillsborough

Howmanheyman

Kelvin MacKenzie, the editor of The Sun when the paper ran a front page story blaming fans for the Hillsborough tragedy, offered his "profuse apologies to the people of Liverpool".

Mr MacKenzie, who wrote the headline The Truth on the controversial report made the following statement:

Today I offer my profuse apologies to the people of Liverpool for that headline.

I too was totally misled.

Twenty three ago I was handed a piece of copy from a reputable news agency in Sheffield in which a senior police officer and a senior local MP were making serious allegations against fans in the stadium.

I had absolutely no reason to believe that these authority figures would lie and deceive over such a disaster.

As the Prime Minister has made clear these allegations were wholly untrue and were part of a concerted plot by police officers to discredit the supporters thereby shifting the blame for the tragedy from themselves. It has taken more than two decades, 400,000 documents and a two-year inquiry to discover to my horror that it would have been far more accurate had I written the headline The Lies rather than The Truth. I published in good faith and I am sorry that it was so wrong."

– KELVIN MACKENZIE

It has taken more than two decades, 400,000 documents and a two-year inquiry to discover to my horror that it would have been far more accurate had I written the headline The Lies rather than The Truth.

What a cunt.

What's the best Hillsborough documentary out there?

I've just found one from LFC TV, but I'd rather something out there that tries to be as neutral as possible.

For example I completely forgot I had this that was made by the BBC, and I'm going to give it a watch again now.

heysel.jpg

So I'm looking for something similar.

Is it just me, or did all the apologies yesterday go along the lines of 'We are extremely sorry. Although it wasn't really my fault, it was someone else, but I'm sorry anyway.'

"Dear Northern Football fan,

Awfully sorry we said you murdered your fellow supporters and indeed urinated on their corpses as you were that pissed you thought they were just having forty winks and wouldn't mind. You see we were too busy having a metaphorical 69 sex session with Maggie, Norman and the rest of her self interested party at the time for mutually beneficial reasons and couldn't really be arsed to check out the facts for ourselves as Kelvin had a free bar on that saturday after getting a bonus from old man Murdoch, Sheffield was too far to travel to and we knew our friends in the party would be happy with our piece and would scratch our backs at a later time, who knows, maybe a few of our boys would get the old tap on the shoulder from Liz after 'er indoors at number ten gave the Palace her favour-payback list. Unfortunately we got caught out again as the mud-slinging, workshy, murder-victim-phone-tapping parasites we are who would brand innocent people as murderers just for a political favour and hope you understand.

We hope this apology will put an end to this episode as frankly we're still in the brown stuff over the Milly Dowler business and don't need the grief. Cheers for listening and don't forget that the 'Sun' is available all next week for just TEN PENCE! We love it!"

http://www.mirrorfoo...icle800222.html

I know a few will read this and not really give a fuck and maybe some will even think, 'Scousers moaning again', (or maybe I'm being harsh on some of TT's posters), anyway, when it comes down to football and Thatchers government then I always have an interest in reading about anything like this as when I was a young'un and going to games you quite often were treated like shit and having seen and read up on the way the Miners were battered by the Police and then demonised by Maggies biggest backer, (Murdoch and all his Editors, Mckenzie etc), then I think if there's something, somewhere, that can expose her party for what they were then I'm all for it. Anybody who's ever heard Bernard Ingham, (who was basically her go-between to the media), will be under no doubt that the 'pissing on the dead' and the generalisations that it was an unruly mob who caused all of the deaths would have been encouraged and welcomed by many of Thatchers Toadies in her party and acted on by the likes of Mckenzie.

When a Police force can stand and look on as people were clearly in serious trouble and, lets be honest, do fuck all at first, then it's about time it was officially recognised and it all stems from the contempt the football supporter was held in by her and her party. (Moynihan, her sports minister was great, he condemned any fan on a pitch for whatever reason, then ran on the pitch at a hockey game when GB won a medal at the Olympics). Anyway, as usual I ramble on and my patter wanders like a drunken man making his way home, but these bastards hated the working class and I hope any extra evidence that shows the Governments lack of care to get to the real reason and pinpoint those who could've done more to avert innocent deaths comes about.

Brilliant post....

What we all knew in the first place is finally being tacitly acknowledged by the media & most politicians (fair play to Jack Straw in particular); the Tories clearly absolved South Yorkshire police of their complicity in the deaths of 96 innocent football fans at Hillsborough as a debt of gratitude for the force's role in the crushing of the Miners' Strike of 1984/1985. Friends, be in no doubt; England was a Fascist Police State under Thatcher & in many ways, it still is...

I've just found one from LFC TV, but I'd rather something out there that tries to be as neutral as possible.

For example I completely forgot I had this that was made by the BBC, and I'm going to give it a watch again now.

heysel.jpg

Where can I watch the Heysel program? :scratchchin:

heysel.jpg

A good one I watched was more a docufilm starring Ricky Tomlinson, gripping and harrowing at the same time. You'd enjoy it. Well not enjoy but you'd be fixated by it.

I've already got it tar, was just after a documentary though rather than a drama based on real events.

Managed to download a Football Focus special on it which was aired on the 20th anniversary which is supposed to be the best one. If it's any good I'll let people know.

People responsible for the cover-up should be prosecuted - no doubt about that. Where I freeze in my steps is when scousers blame these people for the DEATHS.

This could have happened at any stadium in the 80s. There was a million factors that contributed and none that made it happen single-handedly.

The police thought they were rioting, not very far-fetched in that age when police and fans REALLY didnt get along.

Loads of alcohol going around, people up and down and all over the place panicking...

Its a tragedy, but a tragedy where is blame is to be found everywhere should you choose to assign it...

Here is their take on the Heysel tragedy.

http://liverpoolfc.com/history/heysel

heysel_crest_replace-v2.jpgin_memoria.jpg

"In memoria e Amicizia" - :lol: Its like they are forgiving themselves and congratulating themselves on a well-articulated excuse. And the handshake, what the fuck... isnt it up to Juventus to decide if things are alright again?

I struggle to be objective as I loathe the feckers but they really are a despicable bunch of grief junkies.

"Oi we wall-pushed 40 of your lot but check out this mint Java homepage saying we are sorry with some google translate italian phrases just to completely take the piss - we oilright yer mate?"

Edited by Lake Bells tits

The inquiry found the fans werent to blame though. Not to say football fans in the 80s weren't partial to the odd ruck. But in this case they were guilt free. Massive misrepresentation of the truth by the police and the politicians. Why did it take so long to come out too? I blame labour almost as much as the Tories for that. The truth should have come out way earlier. A national disgrace

None of them deserved to die, and they are blame free in the sense that they cannot individually be held responsible for this happening.

However with the conditions in the 80s during matches there was always a risk of this happening - an inherent risk which the fans knew nothing about and didnt accept upon entering the gates but nontheless something that could happen the same way a collective panic attack unfolding in a night club can cause deaths as well.

The cover up following the tragedy was a disgrace, but you can understand how coppers at the time of the accident thought fans was rioting and didnt want to get involved straight away.

As for Heysel and the "bond between the clubs" - Juventus fans hate Liverpool - they killed 40 of their lot. Del Piero recently turned them down because of Heysel.

Heysel was a fucking disgrace - http://forum.juventuz.org/threads/10224-The-Truth-Aboue-Heysel-1985

Edited by Lake Bells tits

The inquiry found the fans werent to blame though. Not to say football fans in the 80s weren't partial to the odd ruck. But in this case they were guilt free. Massive misrepresentation of the truth by the police and the politicians. Why did it take so long to come out too? I blame labour almost as much as the Tories for that. The truth should have come out way earlier. A national disgrace

One of my main complaints about New Labour was that they promised a full public enquiry while in opposition but settled for asking a judge to take another look who because he didn't have the acess of this panel, could do nothing but confirm Taylor which was fair enough as far as it went but not far enough.

Straw has a nerve saying the police had been granted an air of impunity by Thatcher when I thought he took the new report (the one he commissioned) far too easily for fear of upsetting the police imo.

The thing we can thank Labour for on this is the freedom of information act which gave the families access to the documents which Tuesdays findings were based on. Without that, all this would still be under the carpet. And obviously no politician of any hue wouldve dared to look into it without the huge pressure the bereaved families (and pretty much the whole of Merseyside) put them under. Theyd all have been perfectly happy to continue to bury their heads in the sand.

The thing we can thank Labour for on this is the freedom of information act which gave the families access to the documents which Tuesdays findings were based on. Without that, all this would still be under the carpet. And obviously no politician of any hue wouldve dared to look into it without the huge pressure the bereaved families (and pretty much the whole of Merseyside) put them under. Theyd all have been perfectly happy to continue to bury their heads in the sand.

Funnily enough I suspect that the reason Thatcher has got off quite lightly is that I don't think they have access to cabinet minutes - maybe we'll have to wait for them to be released under the 30 year rule for that.