New York, New York

ajax_andy

I've been twice, once in 1993 and again about a month ago. I absolutely love the place, easily my favourite city. The whole place is like a film set, everywhere you go there are landmarks. It seemed a lot safer this time although there are several reasons for that.

First time I went I stayed in hostel cause I was 21 and had fuck all money. I went for a week with a girlfriend who was going out to be an au pair for a year. The first 2 or 3 nights we stayed in a posh hotel in Central Park cause her au pair scheme paid for it. That was fucking cool. <_< Then she went off to be with her new family and I had to stay in a hostel in Harlem which for a Cornish lad was a bit of a culture shock.

This time I had a bit more money and stayed in Times Square for a week with Mrs Asprilla. It was less than £100 a night for a really nice hotel. I booked it all though http://www.roundtheworldexperts.co.uk/ and they can get good prices on packages without you having to do all the work.

I do think the city's been cleaned up a lot crime wise. It stank though. :lol:

Going for a big breakfast at a diner (Tick Tock Diner was my favourite) then walking it off all day was what we did. It was about $25 for us both and you don't need to eat again until the evening. I thought Williamsburg was cool although it was full of twats.

Go for it man, I'm already seeing if I can justify going again ASAP.

Cheers mate, i'll bookmark that link.

Yeah i think i'd just walk around in awe for the whole week as it'll be like being in a film as I've seen it that many times on the TV and in the Cinema.

£700 for a week is much cheaper than I was expecting for a hotel too so thats good.

I heard Jet 2 were doing cheap flights to NYC so I need to look in to that, but not sure I could handle such a long flight in a horrible cramped little plane

You're welcome. :good:

It was called The Four Points (Times Square). There's a few Four Points in New York I think.

The flight's about 8 hours and it does get a bit boring. I don't know what Jet2 is like, I went with Virgin which has pretty decent entertainment. Watched Hannah and the remake of Arthur with Russell Brand (:lol:). If you can get a leg room upgrade it's worth it I reckon.

yeah I went to the Maldives last year on an 8 and a half hour flight with BA which was ok but any long flight isn't that appealing to me... still the free wine and movies kept me almost sane... I'm not sure a crappy Jet 2 would be nice with no free booze and probably no tv but it'll probs come down to finances at the end of the day.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been twice, once in 1993 and again about a month ago. I absolutely love the place, easily my favourite city. The whole place is like a film set, everywhere you go there are landmarks. It seemed a lot safer this time although there are several reasons for that.

First time I went I stayed in hostel cause I was 21 and had fuck all money. I went for a week with a girlfriend who was going out to be an au pair for a year. The first 2 or 3 nights we stayed in a posh hotel in Central Park cause her au pair scheme paid for it. That was fucking cool. <_< Then she went off to be with her new family and I had to stay in a hostel in Harlem which for a Cornish lad was a bit of a culture shock.

This time I had a bit more money and stayed in Times Square for a week with Mrs Asprilla. It was less than £100 a night for a really nice hotel. I booked it all though http://www.roundtheworldexperts.co.uk/ and they can get good prices on packages without you having to do all the work.

Going for a big breakfast at a diner (Tick Tock Diner was my favourite) then walking it off all day was what we did. It was about $25 for us both and you don't need to eat again until the evening. I thought Williamsburg was cool although it was full of twats.

Yeah i think i'd just walk around in awe for the whole week as it'll be like being in a film as I've seen it that many times on the TV and in the Cinema.

£700 for a week is much cheaper than I was expecting for a hotel too so thats good.

I heard Jet 2 were doing cheap flights to NYC so I need to look in to that, but not sure I could handle such a long flight in a horrible cramped little plane

It was called The Four Points (Times Square). There's a few Four Points in New York I think.

The flight's about 8 hours and it does get a bit boring. I don't know what Jet2 is like, I went with Virgin which has pretty decent entertainment. Watched Hannah and the remake of Arthur with Russell Brand (:lol:). If you can get a leg room upgrade it's worth it I reckon.

yeah I went to the Maldives last year on an 8 and a half hour flight with BA which was ok but any long flight isn't that appealing to me... still the free wine and movies kept me almost sane... I'm not sure a crappy Jet 2 would be nice with no free booze and probably no tv but it'll probs come down to finances at the end of the day.

I couldn't afford to use it but it's a shame Concorde doesn't fly any more! 3-4 hours to New York! Must have been a blast!

I definitely recommend talking to that company because when you book it all at once the prices go down a lot, you might be able to fly Virgin/BA anyway.

Slightly off topic, we're going on our honeymoon next year travelling East to West coast for 3 weeks. Should be amazing, anyone done anything similar to recommend / advise against certain things?

Avoid Ohio <_< Not much out here in the cornfields.

Started to plan my own itinerary today. Booked tickets for the basketball and 'football' so I can get an idea of what Yank sporting events are like.

Been to see the nicks. It was almost like the sport was a distraction from all the other shit going on, from cheerleaders, to people trying to sell you shit and competitions like punters throwing baskets for prizes. I liked how you could get shit faced though without having to leave your seat. No waiting at the bar. The beer vendors come to you!

I couldn't afford to use it but it's a shame Concorde doesn't fly any more! 3-4 hours to New York! Must have been a blast!

I definitely recommend talking to that company because when you book it all at once the prices go down a lot, you might be able to fly Virgin/BA anyway.

Yeah 3-4 hours in pure luxury too!

Ok i'll check it out a bit nearer the time, but if its easier and cheaper to just use the one company than I'll defo do that :huh:

Started to plan my own itinerary today. Booked tickets for the basketball and 'football' so I can get an idea of what Yank sporting events are like.

I think i'll try and take in a sporting event too although possibly a baseball match instead... mainly because it's pretty much the same as rounders and I think the wife might actually understand what's going on for once lol <_<

Been to see the nicks. It was almost like the sport was a distraction from all the other shit going on, from cheerleaders, to people trying to sell you shit and competitions like punters throwing baskets for prizes. I liked how you could get shit faced though without having to leave your seat. No waiting at the bar. The beer vendors come to you!

Unfortunately the Knicks aren't at home when I'm there so I'm stuck going to see the Nets. <_<

BTW, how does the beer thing work? Is your beer passed along the row or what?

Edited by ewerk

I think i'll try and take in a sporting event too although possibly a baseball match instead... mainly because it's pretty much the same as rounders and I think the wife might actually understand what's going on for once lol <_<

Apparently it's one of the duller American spectator sports and that's saying something.

I think i'll try and take in a sporting event too although possibly a baseball match instead... mainly because it's pretty much the same as rounders and I think the wife might actually understand what's going on for once lol :lol:

Apparently it's one of the duller American spectator sports and that's saying something.

Haha yeah but the missus isn't really in to sports... I once took her to see Everton v West Ham and she fell asleep... although in all fairness I couldn't really blame her for that <_<

I suppose Basketball is pretty similar to Netball though so maybe she'd be able to understand that one too

Really wanted to see "Book of Mormon" when I am there but it's completely sold out in October :lol:. Anyone no where I could get cancellations when I'm over there?

<_< have you seen the book of don't be so gay.?

It's supposed to be the most offensive musical of all time and isn't coming here any time soon. Plus I love south park. Cheers for the link J69, I will check it out. Mind, decent tickets are over $160 which is pretty hard to justify anyway.

<_<

I stayed just over the river, I think that is labelled Jersey as well. One of them Hyatt hotels. Was lovely, nice view over the river and even the Statue of Liberty!

People working at the hotel were a grovelling bunch though, fat middleaged men asking me with a gay voice if I wanted more coffee etc, seems like they inherently knew there were 5000 others just waiting to have their job in a heartbeat if they fucked up in some way. I dont mind them being polite etc, but its so blatantly obvious they are just putting on an act. Kind of ruins it for me.

Another thing which I never get over is the fact that they open every conversation with " hello how are you", some dont even lift their eyes off what they are currently doing while saying it.

I know its just a polite phrase, but in norway asking that question is kind of reserved for those who know you, and its meant as a conversation-starter, not a courtesy phrase. Why oother asking " how are you" when you dont want nor expect a reply? Just seems so meaningless. I know its a cultural thing but still..

Anyway I prefer brits to americans, id rather have a genuine "go fuck yourself mate" than a fake " so nice to meet you" :lol:

Edited by Saltwater

I doubt you'll get any at the TKTS place, they generally only sell unsold seats from what I read, the box office on the day might be your best bet for cancellations.

Yup.

I had some luck just going direct to the theater in the opening weeks of Spamalot in 2005. They were 'obscured view' seats... but they turned out to be seats in the private balconies to the side of the stage. The only thing that was obscured was at the very opening stage when a character was talking from behind the set through a window. Great success. Awesome show.

Stayed in this place last year - http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-new_york-new_york-NY041 Was surprisingly quite decent, with a pretty good sized room and bathroom. Around US$150 a night, that included a breakfast - cereal, fruit, bagles, donuts, juice, yoghurt... a few minutes walk and you were in the middle of Times Square.

Whoever mentioned the smell is not wrong, though it comes in wafts.. so you'll be strolling along and suddenly get a burst of a horrible pungent rubbish smell, then it will pass and everything will be back to normal.

Edited by OzToonFan

Not sure when you are going but this looks a tidy deal...

http://www.travelzoo.com/uk/hotels/usa-can...-Hotel-1102888/

This place is worth a visit for lunch..

http://www.thespottedpig.com/

Or here if you want to get dressed up http://www.jean-georges.com/

Again try the lunch deal which is great value.

November or December 2012 mate so not for quite a while... The links you and others have posted are great tho as i'm just bookmarking them all for when it comes to booking accomodation etc next year.

Edited by ajax_andy

• 3 weeks later...
I was wrong saying Gina Yashere was the unfunniest person to appear on British television. Susan Calman is.

Arrived in the Big Apple today after a terrible flight. In the hotel Metro close to the Empire State tower. First impressions are the skyline misses the twin towers. Secondly, the infrastructure here is shot. Took 1 1/2 hours to get from JFK to here (in comparison it's 15 mins from heathrow to central London by express). Feel wired so off out now......

I was wrong saying Gina Yashere was the unfunniest person to appear on British television. Susan Calman is.

Arrived in the Big Apple today after a terrible flight. In the hotel Metro close to the Empire State tower. First impressions are the skyline misses the twin towers. Secondly, the infrastructure here is shot. Took 1 1/2 hours to get from JFK to here (in comparison it's 15 mins from heathrow to central London by express). Feel wired so off out now......

Just enjoy your holiday you hommer and stop analysing the infrastructure