[Overseas Crowd] How often do you run into toon fans?

toonotl

Was just at the bottleshop buying ciggies wearing a Newcastle shirt.

A drunk guy in front of me was trying to buy a six pack individually and was attempting to help the poor old dear behind the counter find the right button when some other bloke came up behind me commented on my shirt and starting talking about the club.

Asking about the result. Commenting on our piss poor striking options, Ben Arfa's return and our good start to the season. Seemed to know a bit.

For me, living in Perth and previously on the Gold Coast in Australia, I can count the number of times I've run into NUFC supporters on one hand in the 15 or so years I've supported Newcastle.

How often do you other foreigners on here run into Toon supporters?

Its actually a very rare treat to talk to someone face-to-face about the club, I've always thought it must be something most local Newcastle supporters would probably take for granted.

i suppose Wales is foreign lol but i know of about 5-6 people in my town and three of them i know quite well.

Alot of my mates are typical man u, chelsea, Liverpool, Swansea fans but they always say that if they are to watch another team it's Newcastle it's most people i know second team to watch.

I've heard that alot thats its alot of people's 2nd team. It doesn't really apply in Australia since most football fans are your typical glory fans of Manu etc. and don't actually follow football that closely.

I'd think it would be relatively common for you British lot to run into fellow Newcastle fans.

But to put in perspective I can honestly say I have run into 3 other Newcastle fans ever. Two by accident like today, and my mother-in-law's father is from Newcastle. That's it.

I've heard that alot thats its alot of people's 2nd team. It doesn't really apply in Australia since most football fans are your typical glory fans of Manu etc. and don't actually follow football that closely.

I'd think it would be relatively common for you British lot to run into fellow Newcastle fans.

But to put in perspective I can honestly say I have run into 3 other Newcastle fans ever. Two by accident like today, and my mother-in-law's father is from Newcastle. That's it.

I hail from Perth too. Apart from the occasional organised get-together (i.e. the last Mackem derby, where there was about 20 of us) it doesn't happen all that often.

I've got a Toon crest sticker (not big) and a 'I Love (heart) Newcastle Utd' sticker on my back window of my car. Because of that, a guy once knocked on my window when I was stopped at the traffic lights and scared the shit out of me, but only asked if I was a Geordie (like he was) and why I supported the Toon.

Then, at about 6.30 am the day after relegation, I was stopped for coffee and a guy commiserated with me over our loss and said "I don't even know why I support them" then walked off.

I see a few people wearing Toon shirts when I attend Perth Glory A-League games. Conversations start up, but only a bit of friendly banter. The two most memorable moments were when I was walking towards the stadium wearing a NUFC shirt and four guys wearing Toon shirts surrounded me and started chanting "Toon, Toon, black and white army". They were all recently arrived Geordies. We spoke during most of the game and shared a few beers afterwards.

Then another was when I was walking through the stadium (again with NUFC shirt) and a guy walked up to me, pointed at my shirt and said "That's a fucking great shirt, my friend". I can only assume he was a NUFC supporter.

So, there you go. Enthralling read, eh?

One of my Kiwi mates is a toon fan but apart from I see the occasional toon shirt here and there. Plenty of footy fans at work though (incl West Ham, Brum, Wolves) so get a bit of PL banter. NZ seems to be a Mackem free zone, so no FTM craic.

fairly rare for me in ireland, couple at work but they "support" newcastle but even if we're on the tv you'd be hard pushed to get them saying they'd watched it so i don't count them.

Right few Toon fans down our way Ant.

Was over in New York few years back and was sitting waiting on the Mrs in a jewellers, when a local lass came over to ask about my Newcastle top. Turned out she was married to a Geordie. They had been home for a European game previous season, also gave me info were to go watch the Toon while out there. Unfortunately no games on tho.

Very rare.

I've met the odd random Toon shirt wearing person, Geordie couple, NUFC enthusiast going to see games at a pub or around town. But it totals to about 5 :nufc:

Was making regular trips to Paris last year and as expected there's a higher probability there. Had a funny moment walking down a street in Winter wearing my Nufc hat, bumped into a guy wearing the exact same one.

Very rare.

I've met the odd random Toon shirt wearing person, Geordie couple, NUFC enthusiast going to see games at a pub or around town. But it totals to about 5 :nufc:

Was making regular trips to Paris last year and as expected there's a higher probability there. Had a funny moment walking down a street in Winter wearing my Nufc hat, bumped into a guy wearing the exact same one.

:nufc:

I always wear my woolie NUFC hat all winter at race meetings all over the country.

Never met one in Switzerland.

Me Dad and Brother are following the toon results but nothing more, they are Liverpool fans.... :nufc:.

Two mates are also following the results, but not watching games, but at least asking about NUFC Stuff.

One of them is a West Ham United Fan :nufc:, the other one o dear lord is a FC Thun Fan :nufc:

Well, I saw a guy once in a NUFC Kit at a SC Freiburg home game (one of me lads is a SC Freiburg Fan :nufc:).

I shouted "Toon Toon" and thought he would reply with a "Black and White Army" or at least a YEAHHHH! or with clapping.

He smiled and nothing more pffff germans :nufc:

I'm usually wearing my Newcastle Untied Jacket / Shirts.

Saw Lots of Fans in Liverpool shirts, tons of focking stupid Manure and Citeh Fans (They have no clue about the Team, just wearing the Shirt because "its cool and they are always winning") about 2 - 3 West Ham Fans, a Fulham Fan, 2 Chelski Fans but one of them is a die hard fan and knows a hell lot bout Chelski oh and once even a Wolves Fan lol.

Oh, and of corse never saw a bloody mackem in Switzerland :nufc:

Edited by Ricola (Black and White)

Been in Slovenia since Feb, apart from people i've got interested in Newcastle, I've only ever encountered two other Newcastle fans.

Some guy sat wearing the 1995? grandad top outside Premier Pub in Ljubljana, he was clearly Slovenian and i was drunk so never spoke to him. I think he may have even had a Newcastle tattoo.

Also just yesterday i was riding through Maribor in my Newcastle top and some kid shouted "Shearer" as i went past him.

Seen quite a few Man Utd and Chelsea shirts though :D

The tv commentators do seem to have a soft spot for Newcastle and like to mention Vuckic allot

All the time. Not even close to ManYoo or some of the other big clubs from around Europe (Barca, Real, Milan, Inter etc) but probably more NUFC fans around here than any English club other than Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea. And I'd say pretty close to both of the London clubs overall, Arsenal and Chelsea just haven't been seeming to draw lately.

All the time. Not even close to ManYoo or some of the other big clubs from around Europe (Barca, Real, Milan, Inter etc) but probably more NUFC fans around here than any English club other than Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea. And I'd say pretty close to both of the London clubs overall, Arsenal and Chelsea just haven't been seeming to draw lately.

Where's 'here' for you, Zathras? And are you still bored and a bit down? :D

Where's 'here' for you, Zathras? And are you still bored and a bit down? :lol:

:D

Where's 'here' for you, Zathras? And are you still bored and a bit down? :D

Minnesota. And if you'd actually read the thread through, you'd see that I am no longer down, but still rather bored. :lol:

I went to see USA v T&T in America in my toon shirt. Bumped into a bloke in a Sunderland shirt queuing for a drink and smirked at his shirt, unsure what to say. He told me to fuck off and walked away :D

We have the largest Youth soccer tournament in the world near here (USA Cup) and a few years ago I reffed a couple of games. After the match was over I put on an old NUFC away shirt and had a guy in a Sunderland kit come up and ask me about it, telling me he was from Sunderland. I had to bite my tongue to keep from telling him I could tell by the fact he had two teeth.

We have the largest Youth soccer tournament in the world near here (USA Cup)

I'm afraid that's not true, the world's largest youth football tournament is Gothia Cup, played here in Gothenburg every summer.

The Schwan's USA Cup has been consistently cited as the "Largest youth soccer tournament in the Western Hemisphere;" my apologies for misremembering.

I went to see USA v T&T in America in my toon shirt. Bumped into a bloke in a Sunderland shirt queuing for a drink and smirked at his shirt, unsure what to say. He told me to fuck off and walked away :lol:

We have the largest Youth soccer tournament in the world near here (USA Cup) and a few years ago I reffed a couple of games. After the match was over I put on an old NUFC away shirt and had a guy in a Sunderland kit come up and ask me about it, telling me he was from Sunderland. I had to bite my tongue to keep from telling him I could tell by the fact he had two teeth.

:icon_lol::)

Met two Sunderland fans.

One was a cabbie, does anyone know if CT has ever worked in Australia?

The other was a cop that arrested me for DUI. :lol: