Golf

Ally

Anyone into playing golf on here?

Have just started getting into it, had a few lessons and going quite regularly to the driving range and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would! Something really satisfying about hitting a nice drive.

Anyone into playing golf on here?

Have just started getting into it, had a few lessons and going quite regularly to the driving range and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would! Something really satisfying about hitting a nice drive.

Used to play off 7 at one point many moons ago.

If you put in time on the range (but also chipping and putting) it will show up in your game.

Don't try and hit the ball too hard. :nufc:

I love it, Im sh*t at it but really enjoy a wander out on the course. This years been shite though weather wise, Im a fair weather player like.

We should arrange a toontastic golf day.

Must be a bastard on your back or do they make longer clubs for you? :nufc:

i first tried it years ago and didnt get on with it, then my fiance spotted my old clubs when we moved in together and bought me some lessons for my birthday in June, I've not looked back

Whilst i dont have a handicap I'm doing our local par 72 in mid to high 90's

my putting is utter wank though, actually to be fair, there is no consistence there at all, sometimes a drive is a peach, then i will miss it entirely

• 10 months later...

He is nailing Wozniacki isnt he? The boy done good.

Im playing off about 22-25 at the min. Only play in the Summers. Its a miserable game in the winter.

FYP

I cant remeber who put the quote on here, but "Golf is a good walk spoilt"

I can watch the English Open for an hour or so, but all the other games on TV I cant watch, bore me to tears after 5min. I train in North Leeds where there are a lot of Golf courses and one in particular in the summer I usually stop and watch people teeing off from one of the tee's. Its relaxing to watch that for a few mins. Listening to the tree's rustle, the sound of the birds getting ready for bed etc. Its calming.

Played 9 holes yesterday afternoon, would love to play more but never get my shit together. Played 2 or 3 stunning shots, hit the pin out of a bunker, bounced back off a tree into a nice position and lie twice, lost one ball in the water, hit a drive around 180m middle of the fairway from the elevated 8th tee (getting my swing together). A mixed bag but i'm sure playing regularly would see some improvements.

As discussed in CTs golf thread last week, I've just took on a month of twilight golf at Tynemouth. £50 to play as much as you like after 5.30pm.

Played irregularly for 20 years, but never so much golf, so frequently since I was 16.

In a fortnight I've been up there five or six nights and I'm seeing a marked improvement already.

Lost 8 balls in 9 holes the first day :lol: but I came home with one extra ball from Saturday nights round, hitting half the par 5 greens in 3 shots and barely missing any putts in the five to six foot radius of champions.

Still fucking up my scores with one or two daft holes where I take 4 to get out of a bunker or get too Billy Big Bollocks after a par on one hole and scuff 4 swings in a row trying to cane it on the next hole.

As discussed in CTs golf thread last week, I've just took on a month of twilight golf at Tynemouth. £50 to play as much as you like after 5.30pm.

Played irregularly for 20 years, but never so much golf, so frequently since I was 16.

In a fortnight I've been up there five or six nights and I'm seeing a marked improvement already.

Lost 8 balls in 9 holes the first day :lol: but I came home with one extra ball from Saturday nights round, hitting half the par 5 greens in 3 shots and barely missing any putts in the five to six foot radius of champions.

Still fucking up my scores with one or two daft holes where I take 4 to get out of a bunker or get too Billy Big Bollocks after a par on one hole and scuff 4 swings in a row trying to cane it on the next hole.

Maybe i play too safe, the ball i lost skipped off the green into the water (about one metre from the green so v difficult approach) but i did not manage any pars. My short game is absolute rubbish though.

Short game is my favourite part of Golf. I have a Calloway lob wedge which is brilliant around the green for going up high and stopping virtually dead when it lands. So much better than a normal wedge.

Putting is the most infuriating. Spend two or three shots covering 500 yards then 3 or 4 shots covering 20 yards!

The ground was rock hard yesterday. Makes the long game much easier but hitting greens is tricky.

I only putted 14 times on the way out but 21 on the back in.

Golfshot is a quality app for the iphone if you're into looking at stats

• 9 months later...
Sergio Garcia has apologised for making what could be seen as a racist remark about world number one Tiger Woods.

Garcia, 33, was asked if he would have Woods round for dinner to settle their recent argument and joked that he would serve fried chicken.

Fried chicken is stereotypically associated with black people in the American deep south.

Garcia said: "I apologise for any offence. In no way was the comment meant in a racist manner."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/22610823

The racist fuck.

:lol:

• 10 months later...

Aye,the few times I've worked in an office, the secretaries were oddly reluctant to listen to my tales of how I'd sunk my dimpled balls in various holes at the weekend.

Even less so when I tried to say how many strokes I'd managed it in.

:whistle:

Aye,the few times I've worked in an office, the secretaries were oddly reluctant to listen to my tales of how I'd sunk my dimpled balls in various holes at the weekend.

Even less so when I tried to say how many strokes I'd managed it in.

:whistle:

Were you putting it about?