Golf

Ally

I'm not even bad with the driver, it's hitting the ground/topping the ball occasionally with irons that's ruining my scores. I was on the driving range last night but hitting off a flat mat doesn't really replicate the conditions that cause the problems, like long grass, small ditches etc.

I'm not even bad with the driver, it's hitting the ground/topping the ball occasionally with irons that's ruining my scores. I was on the driving range last night but hitting off a flat mat doesn't really replicate the conditions that cause the problems, like long grass, small ditches etc.

True what you say about the mat. Find some fields is the other way and take a bag of cheap balls (steal them from the driving range).

Topping is 9/10 caused by your head coming up. You should be still staring at where the ball was on the follow through and don't try and hit too hard. :)

Go to the course at 7 and do a round...Lunch and then another round. Two rounds a day works miracles.

If there is a practive putting green on your course use that for at least half an hour before you go on the course...The putter should feel like and extension of your arms...Sleep with it by the bed...Call it "Mrs. Parky"...She won't mind.

:scratchchin:

Telling a beginner to use a one iron? There's a reason that no one has them in the bag any more, not even the pros can play with them. Did you stop playing golf in 1975?

Telling a beginner to use a one iron? There's a reason that no one has them in the bag any more, not even the pros can play with them. Did you stop playing golf in 1975?

Easiest club off the tee. I however should have said 3 wood. ;) Nobody started using one irons till the 90's btw. ;) Faldo put them in the limelight. I take it your golf knowledge is on par with your footie... :lol:

Modern 3 irons give the same distance as old 1 irons if you want to go conservative off the tee.

Edited by Park Life

It was still a long way before the 90's though. Knowledge ;)

Accepted. :)

The one iron actually uses similar muscle memory to the other irons and so quickly gives better results than a driver with regards to consistency. People suffer with drivers cause the swing is totally different and the muscle memory less which hits the confidence.

Anyway, 'swing dont hit' is the only advice i have.

When i realised that hitting a golf ball was a bit like making love to a beautiful woman (you let your hips do the work) i realised i could knock my balls a good distance up the fairway.

I've taken up golf again after a half decade hiatus. Hit the driving range half a dozen times in the last fortnight and completed two rounds at local pitch and puts. Definitely back into the addicted phase of my interest.

Spent an hour this morning getting acquainted to my driver again. Took 10 balls or so to realize that I was using my right had far too much on my downswing resulting in every single ball being pushed out high and to the right. Kind of sorted it and I'm starting to believe that I won't be too far away from finding a consistent swing in the coming weeks.

Heard on the way home that Sergio Garcia holed 7 birdies in a row to take the lead at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational. That is one man who I'd love to win a major one day.

Edited by beatty

• 3 weeks later...
Shot 13 over at my local club today. Only a 9 hole course and went round with +2, +1, +2, par, par, par,+2, +3, +3. Long irons cost me shots throughout and my pitching really held it together, including landing a chip an inch from the hole for my first par and then holing in from 30 yards for my last par. Putting was pretty below standard, although I've changed my grip and for the first time ever grounded my putter on the last green.

Had my first golf lesson yesterday and the coach made a significant change to the angle of my back swing. Was the main reason why my shots were going out to the right (see my first post in this thread). I did hit 100 balls on the range before teeing of today in the hope of embedding the new swing and they went well, but I crumbled out on the course and swung too hard. Only realised on the last hole, proceeded to hit a sweet 9 iron off the tee with a slight bit of draw only to be a club short, duff my chip out of the rough and then fucking 3 putted from 10 feet. Wishing I'd had a few lessons to start the summer now.

• 1 month later...