ooooooh hark at you, Mr Chez

peasepud

This thread will be the new front line.

Discernment is the key.

We've made a good start to the season.

We haven't played a good side yet.

Let's see what happens.

We'll probably lose, but then that's what we usually do. Check out our stats for going to Old Trafford since the Prem began, they're horrendous. Anfield too. Man C don't warrant comparison because they've only been good for a season. The rest aren't great.

We can't use that as the barometer, it's only applicable when you're competing with those teams for honours, and when we briefly did, we still didn't have a good enough record against them. For now, surely we have to measure things by reference to how we fare against the big spending average clubs around us.

Cake and eat if post of the decade. :D

Hardly.

Denial mode again

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't want to use losing against good sides as a barometer yet you want to use beating average/crap sides as one?

It's only 6 games man. :D

If my prediction for the season was a CL finish then you'd have a point.

'It's only 6 games' is precisely right, and exactly what I've said. If you've noticed evidence of me getting carried away with myself and claiming that beating average sides means we'll beat the very top sides then feel free to post it. Doubt you will though tbf.

You don't want to use losing against good sides as a barometer yet you want to use beating average/crap sides as one?

'It's only 6 games' is precisely right, and exactly what I've said. If you've noticed evidence of me getting carried away with myself and claiming that beating average sides means we'll beat the very top sides then feel free to post it. Doubt you will though tbf.

I think cause Chez made a huge post that is covertly pro-ashley, the weaker minded amonst us are considering boarding a train without knowing the destination. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

I think cause Chez made a huge post that is covertly pro-ashley, the weaker minded amonst us are considering boarding a train without knowing the destination.

And I think that's just flowery shit when you've been asked to give a factual response and can't tbh.

I think cause Chez made a huge post that is covertly pro-ashley, the weaker minded amonst us are considering boarding a train without knowing the destination.

And I think that's just flowery shit when you've been asked to give a factual response and can't tbh.

:lol:

I agree with some of your and Chez's points. [edit]

What I'm trying to say is that it's only natural for us as supporters to want to believe (project) that somehow MA in his own mad way will get/has got things right. This will always creep into the narrative. This is what I watch out for on my own opinion of the situation.

Edited by Park Life

Time will tell if it's wishful thinking or not. I'm not sure that anyone really knows what Ashley is up to.....at the same time you can't argue with results.....the question is whether it's a renaissance or a false dawn. I'm still strongly anti-Ashley but at the same time you have to give credit where it's due and enjoy the run we're on.

Time will tell if it's wishful thinking or not. I'm not sure that anyone really knows what Ashley is up to.....at the same time you can't argue with results.....the question is whether it's a renaissance or a false dawn. I'm still strongly anti-Ashley but at the same time you have to give credit where it's due and enjoy the run we're on.

Agreed.

Just going to level-set the discussion here. Its not about saying Ashley has got it right, its about saying that the naysayers and every paranoid narrative that people spiralled off into over the summer are now looking a bit daft and that we havent got worse or even stood still. If anything, we've got a wee bit better but lets see how things progress. Its nowhere near as bad as people were expecting and yet again for the 3rd year in a row, the team is doing better than expected. As i say, am not going to keep putting this down to luck for the 3rd season running.

I'm a bit tired of reading these overarching narratives from people who pretend to have an insight into the morally questionable motives of the owner. Its agenda driven petty political shite and is yet again being shown up as exactly that. He's got his own objectives, some of them overlap with having a good football team, none of them overlap with doing what the fans want or being respectful. Thats just the way things are. I dont particularly want to bet on us beating 12th this year as we were seconds from finishing 3 places higher last year, so we could finish higher without improving as a team. However, i do think we have moved forward as a team and that Pardew had a vision for a midfield that doesnt include slow and one-paced players. Obertan may not be as good as Barton but am beginning to think maybe he fits into Pardew's midfield better than him? With Cabaye on a different level as a footballer to Nolan, there is strong evidence of progress. Not a club going backwards. I'd also rather have Marveaux in the side than Craig Gardner for £6m, fuck me he was shite last night.

The summer was alright and actually nearly good but in the final act, am delighted we didnt sign Ruiz and stuck with Best and Ba. Well played Pardew or whoever made the call not to get involved. He looks shit.

Just going to level-set the discussion here. Its not about saying Ashley has got it right, its about saying that the naysayers and every paranoid narrative that people spiralled off into over the summer are now looking a bit daft and that we havent got worse or even stood still. If anything, we've got a wee bit better but lets see how things progress. Its nowhere near as bad as people were expecting and yet again for the 3rd year in a row, the team is doing better than expected. As i say, am not going to keep putting this down to luck for the 3rd season running.

I'm a bit tired of reading these overarching narratives from people who pretend to have an insight into the morally questionable motives of the owner. Its agenda driven petty political shite and is yet again being shown up as exactly that. He's got his own objectives, some of them overlap with having a good football team, none of them overlap with doing what the fans want or being respectful. Thats just the way things are. I dont particularly want to bet on us beating 12th this year as we were seconds from finishing 3 places higher last year, so we could finish higher without improving as a team. However, i do think we have moved forward as a team and that Pardew had a vision for a midfield that doesnt include slow and one-paced players. Obertan may not be as good as Barton but am beginning to think maybe he fits into Pardew's midfield better than him? With Cabaye on a different level as a footballer to Nolan, there is strong evidence of progress. Not a club going backwards. I'd also rather have Marveaux in the side than Craig Gardner for £6m, fuck me he was shite last night.

The summer was alright and actually nearly good but in the final act, am delighted we didnt sign Ruiz and stuck with Best and Ba. Well played Pardew or whoever made the call not to get involved. He looks shit.

I don't think anyone in the summer who "spiralled off" thinking things would get worse are looking daft at all Chez. If anything, I think those who are attempting to see "proof" to the contrary after only 6 games against weaker opposition, are the ones looking daft, to be honest.

You can add one or two people who continue to spout absolutely nothing about anything, with no solid judgements [ie either sitting on the fence or modify their "opinions" according to the mood swing, to that.

The seeds are being sown of decline and lower standards, at the moment nothing is crashing like the roof is caving in, but nobody has said that either. Only the seeds of lower long term expectations.

This is the crux of the debate, have we moved forward or not? The evidence suggests we have but sense says we need to wait and see. I'm not anything different to that.

Putting aside that debate for one moment, if we have moved forward, what would that tell us about the club? Anything? For me, yes but i guess thats another debate.

I'm with Chez, I've had enough of sniping and constant regurgitation and obsession over stuff we can do fuck all about anyway. Look at the positives in a sensible way. We seem to be doing okay for now, I'd just like to enjoy it. Debating the minutiae has been fully overcooked, and doing so with a view on the past doubly so. It's not the past, and the world is very different anyway.

Let's see how we can get on in the present, a competitive hard working team with a soupçon of flair.

:D

Don't know anything about Ruiz but presumably he wasn't the only striker available.

Don't know anything about Ruiz but presumably he wasn't the only striker available.

Of course not but 100% guaranteed, no one would have been complaining about the summer or the Carroll money if we had spent 10m+ on him. Ridiculous but true.

Of course not but 100% guaranteed, no one would have been complaining about the summer or the Carroll money if we had spent 10m+ on him. Ridiculous but true.

As I said I don't know anything about him, or most of the other strikers we were linked with. However I'd hope with at least 7 months to play with, they'd have found somebody decent that ticked all their boxes. As it was we couldn't get our targets 'over the line', so it's all academic.

Edited by Kitman

'You're only as good as your last game' spings to mind here. Wigan, Hull and Blackpool have all appeared in the top 4 at this stage of the season recently. Far too early to judge wether we've moved forward or backwards or stayed the same,which is the most likely outcome of this summers comings and goings.

I understand Chez's post and his posistion completly but i'd ask him would he feel able to brush off all the lies,deceit and chronic bullshit that comes with the Ashley regime if he'd,for instance, been moved from L7 this summer? Its easy to have a balanced overview if you dont feel your constantly being shafted by the club.

I'm in the south east corner and to say the match day atmosphere has been unpleasant this season would be putting it mildly. All caused by Ashley's decision to do away with the singing section. I cant truly appreciate Cabaye and HBA at home games because of the animosity towards those from L7 and the subsequent reaction from the L7ers themselves. Its fuckin horrible.

This isnt a dig at Chez or anyone else. Am not giving it the 'supafan' bollocks and understand that all our personal circumstances are different. Indeed from what I can gather from on here Chez's career is a lot more worthy and laudable than most,certainly mine. But I would say its easy to be slightly benevolent towards our owner if his decisions weren't smacking you in the face everytime you turn up for a game.

Its hard to say for definite whether we are a better team than last year or have simply played worse teams.

Those we've played based on the corresponding games

Arsenal - This season currently 10 places lower (13th/3rd)

SAFC - 7 places lower (14th/7th)

Fulham - 2 places higher (15th/17th)

QPR - 4 places higher (10th/14th)

Villa - 3 lower (8th/5th)

Blackburn - 8 lower (18th/10th)

At the end of the day, Im well chuffed we've done as well as we have and looking at the fixtures I cant see any major worries until that hideous 3 game run in November. Im not however getting carried away, a good run breeds high confidence which helps, a bad one can really break it so its how well we can cope with that which will tell on the season.

If we can get to at least 20 points by the end of November I'll be delighted.

Before then we have Wolves, Spurs, Wigan, Stoke, Everton, Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea. I can see us getting at least two wins from that lot, 2-3 draws and anything else will be a bonus.

Edited by Tecato

Its hard to say for definite whether we are a better team than last year or have simply played worse teams.

Those we've played based on the corresponding games

Arsenal - This season currently 10 places lower (13th/3rd)

SAFC - 7 places lower (14th/7th)

Fulham - 2 places higher (15th/17th)

QPR - 4 places higher (10th/14th)

Villa - 3 lower (8th/5th)

Blackburn - 8 lower (18th/10th)

At the end of the day, Im well chuffed we've done as well as we have and looking at the fixtures I cant see any major worries until that hideous 3 game run in November. Im not however getting carried away, a good run breeds high confidence which helps, a bad one can really break it so its how well we can cope with that which will tell on the season.

All the teams bar QPR are in worse shape than they were last year and we're in slightly better shape. :D

"A bit more sense" you mean ludicrous negativity refusing to accept any positivity because Mike Ashley owns the club. Leazes, you really aren't intelligent enough to take on this debate, although it has never stopped you before.

Arsenal will, shockingly finish in the top 10. They are still one of the better teams in the league, we have also struggled in the past against the likes of Fulham and Blackburn so it would take the most 'head up your arse, super negative' twat to try and downplay a good start to the season.

The fortune teller in me predicts a reply that doesn't really have anything to do with what I just posted.. :lol:

I've been telling you for over 5 years now that it would be difficult to replace the owners idiots such as yourself despised, would be difficult to match. And you have disagreed right from day 1, along with lots of others. Please tell me when this is going to actually happen ?

So, until somebody else actually does it, please refrain from talking about such things as "a bit more sense", unless its impossible for you :D

There are 32 games to go. We have not played any good team yet, other than Arsenal who are themselves in a crisis when judged on their own high standards over the past 15 years.

Your comments are exactly the sort of naive rubbish that has been posted by people like yourself on these message boards for many years now. It is crystal clear that you are as big an idiot as you have always been and have learned absolutely nothing from experience.

The fortune teller in me predicts a reply that doesn't really have anything to do with what I just posted

Let's see what you've won!

It's a never ending loop, if I could be arsed I would reply asking him to find something from me saying any of that, he would then say something like "well maybe you didn't but plenty of people did" then mention something about N-O.

The man is a moron who seems to be stuck in a personal groundhog day.

"A bit more sense" you mean ludicrous negativity refusing to accept any positivity because Mike Ashley owns the club. Leazes, you really aren't intelligent enough to take on this debate, although it has never stopped you before.

Arsenal will, shockingly finish in the top 10. They are still one of the better teams in the league, we have also struggled in the past against the likes of Fulham and Blackburn so it would take the most 'head up your arse, super negative' twat to try and downplay a good start to the season.

The fortune teller in me predicts a reply that doesn't really have anything to do with what I just posted.. :lol:

I've been telling you for over 5 years now that it would be difficult to replace the owners idiots such as yourself despised, would be difficult to match. And you have disagreed right from day 1, along with lots of others. Please tell me when this is going to actually happen ?

So, until somebody else actually does it, please refrain from talking about such things as "a bit more sense", unless its impossible for you :D

There are 32 games to go. We have not played any good team yet, other than Arsenal who are themselves in a crisis when judged on their own high standards over the past 15 years.

Your comments are exactly the sort of naive rubbish that has been posted by people like yourself on these message boards for many years now. It is crystal clear that you are as big an idiot as you have always been and have learned absolutely nothing from experience.

The fortune teller in me predicts a reply that doesn't really have anything to do with what I just posted

It's a never ending loop, if I could be arsed I would reply asking him to find something from me saying any of that, he would then say something like "well maybe you didn't but plenty of people did" then mention something about N-O.

Was going to leave this, but its a real shame that the "Groundhog Day" you speak of has actually been a correct judgement, made for 5-6 years now, that imbeciles like yourself insisted was incorrect.

So who is the moron ?

So, until somebody else actually does it, please refrain from talking about such things as "a bit more sense", unless its impossible for you :lol:

GroundhogMag :D

We are yet to win a game against a team in the top half of the table.

Maybe the teams that we have played are in the lower half because we weren't kind enough to lose to them ??

We got 3 total points last year from the same fixtures.

OH (edit) and good post Chez

That’s fair point but it could be that they are plain shite. Two narrow home wins against teams in 17th and 18th place is nowt to shout about, and the Mackems have a psychological problem when it comes to playing NUFC.

There’s far too much knee jerk drivel being spouted about our good start. Welcome as it is there is a long way to go before the reality of our transfer policy is known. It’s painful to watch opinion being blown around on the basis of a handful of random results.

Thing is you can't confirm if it's an easy start until the end of the season and league positions really pan out. You can only beat (or draw with) what's in front of you. This early in the season beating someone tends to have a much larger effect on their "immediate" relative league position. Aside from the top 3-4 this league is much of a muchness IMO.

Avoiding Man U, City and Chelski I suppose makes it easier than it could have been, but that's about as far as I'd go. Outside those 3 the league is very much in "any given Sunday" territory IMO.

Precisely. It’s an argument that cuts both ways.

At this stage in the season random factors can have a disproportionate effect, which is why it’s better to look at performances... and on this front we’ve been decidedly average.

Better than average against B.burn and Villa imo, its early days though and we can only beat what is put in front of us.

• 4 months later...

We had some dimwit on here a while back who's mates with this shiteseats. Anyway I took the piss out of him in General Chat about something non-football related, and he retaliated by letting me know that the great shiteseats (he has his own website dontcha know) had told him that I talk shite. Or something like that.

Anyway i've never recovered from it.

:lol: :lol: that's actually cheered me up.