Creepy/Good/Interesting Wiki pages

Besty

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't mention the impact. You stated that it was the biggest peace-time explosion in the UK. It wasn't. There's no debate on it, you're just wrong.

Thought you weren't going to spend your Tuesday arguing about it, make your mind up eh?

I've scanned a few pics you might like Stevie- the first two are the Quayside pre-explosion, the second two are taken 7/10/1854, the day after the blast.

scan0001nn.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

scan0002jt.jpg

scan0003le.jpg

scan0004rh.jpg

The 2nd and 3rd pics are of the same part of the Quayside, The Guildhall is on the left, what is now the bottom of Dean St. is to its right. The building which is still standing, centre of the pic, is about where the north tower of the Tyne Bridge stands, with Chase bar behind it. The Church in both is All Saints church, which is now to the East of the Bridge

The pics above are from a book I have by Frank Manders called "Newcastle Upon Tyne- A Selection of the Earliest Photographs"

Found a couple more on tinterweb

4084787357_f8295c31ef.jpg

4090379285_9a69acfb5b_o.jpg

You might also like this post from skyscrapercity forum;

http://www.skyscrape...&postcount=1232

Edited by Monkeys Fist

I've scanned a few pics you might like Stevie- the first two are the Quayside pre-explosion, the second two are taken 7/10/1854, the day after the blast.

scan0001nn.jpg

scan0002jt.jpg

scan0003le.jpg

scan0004rh.jpg

The 2nd and 3rd pics are of the same part of the Quayside, The Guildhall is on the left, what is now the bottom of Dean St. is to its right. The building which is still standing, centre of the pic, is about where the north tower of the Tyne Bridge stands, with Chase bar behind it. The Church in both is All Saints church, which is now to the East of the Bridge

The pics above are from a book I have by Frank Manders called "Newcastle Upon Tyne- A Selection of the Earliest Photographs"

Found a couple more on tinterweb

4084787357_f8295c31ef.jpg

4090379285_9a69acfb5b_o.jpg

You might also like this post from skyscrapercity forum;

http://www.skyscrape...&postcount=1232

Cheers MF. I share your fetish for Newcastle history. I can't picture the church like.

52085710_a315f7391c_o.jpg

It's an unusual church as it's elliptical (or round to us plebs ;) )

Clink, penny dropping a naaaaaaa where it is. That explosion must've been fucking unreal, bits of rock the size of buses landing on Percy Street.

It's the All Saint's Church. It's behind the Quayside, Stevie. It's quite famous (architecturally). It's not a church any more though (I don't think). Gets a good write up in Pevsner's guide to Newcastle. Can't remember who designed it now.

It's the All Saint's Church. It's behind the Quayside, Stevie. It's quite famous (architecturally). It's not a church any more though (I don't think). Gets a good write up in Pevsner's guide to Newcastle. Can't remember who designed it now.

What's it now then?

I've known about the fire for years, but recently been doing some family history, this thread has made me realise that my great great great grandparents would have almost definatly witnessed this, as they are listed in the 1851 census as living in Trafalgar St, All Saints, and would have certainly been affected by it.

I've known about the fire for years, but recently been doing some family history, this thread has made me realise that my great great great grandparents would have almost definatly witnessed this, as they are listed in the 1851 census as living in Trafalgar St, All Saints, and would have certainly been affected by it.

Me dads side probably will have done too. They lived in the Dwellings just on City Road, down from Pandon Bank, up till about 1940 for about three or four generations apparently.

What's it now then?

It was deconsecrated in 1961, but is still used for Services by Church of Saint Willibrord with All Saints,whoever the feck they are.

Thought it was disused to be honest. Good that it's being used though as it's a nice building. Took a canny photo of it (even if I do say so myself ;) ) as the spire is framed nicely by one of the Chares running away from the Quayside.

What's it now then?

It was deconsecrated in 1961, but is still used for Services by Church of Saint Willibrord with All Saints,whoever the feck they are.

Word of the week!

I've deconsecrated a few tabernacles mesel.

Me dads side probably will have done too. They lived in the Dwellings just on City Road, down from Pandon Bank, up till about 1940 for about three or four generations apparently.

Is that Garth Heads Student flats? Just checked back on the census and I was mistaken- my ancestors lived in Trafalgar St. on the 1861 census, in 1851 they're listed as living on New Road , All Saints. New Road was the old name for City Road, so you never know, they may have been neighbours.

Do you know the name of your dads ancestors? I'll see if I can find them on the census.

Is that Garth Heads Student flats? Just checked back on the census and I was mistaken- my ancestors lived in Trafalgar St. on the 1861 census, in 1851 they're listed as living on New Road , All Saints. New Road was the old name for City Road, so you never know, they may have been neighbours.

Do you know the name of your dads ancestors? I'll see if I can find them on the census.

Spot on. My uncles and aunts were born there, me fatha was born in Byker though. Knowledgable cunt yee like, ye remind me of that jock bloke who does "Coast", and ye look like him too.

I look like Neil Oliver ? :spit:

The Dwellings at Garth Heads were built in 1869 and extended in 1878 by The Newcastle Upon Tyne Improved Industrial Dwelling Co.Ltd. so if your family lived there for 4 generations going back from the 1940s, it would probably have been your great x2 grandparents who moved there.

They were built to house the workers from various nearby industries and business, and were seen at the time as examples of benevolence from owners to workers. In reality, although the workers benefitted from improved accommodation, they were in effect tied workers- they would lose their home if they left their job, and were easily monitored by their employers re. sickness and absenteeism.

I'm guessing that at some point in the early 20thC they were taken over by the council, but I'm not sure when exactly.

Me Dad's family lived in the Dwellings. The family next door but one kept a horse in their front room. Luckily they lived on the ground floor.

Straight up that rings a bell, honest to god.

:lol:

" How man, the bairns are sleeping, turn that fucking horse down!"

When did they live there Alex? Have you any idea when it changed from being run by the Dwellings Co.

Pal of mine lived there in the late 80s when she was at Uni.

It's an amazing little patch of concentrated history there mind, The Keelmans Hospital beside it dates back to the 1700s ( went to several parties there post-Barley Mow in my youth), and Sallyport Tower has a very varied history, the lower part of it is supposedly Roman. It's also believed that the Roman Wall runs beneath The Dwellings.