Creepy/Good/Interesting Wiki pages

Besty

Just realised we've got our wires crossed. My Dad's family lived in Rochester Dwellings (also known to everyone as just 'The Dwellings') in Walker. They were knocked down in the 70s (I think).

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walker heritage, from Burradon.

Explains alot, that, Alex ;)

The best kids have Walker heritage ;) It's an epicentre of geordieness.

See that pub the Barley Mow, me sister has lived in London for 23 years, but she rates the Barley Mow as THE best pub there's ever been. Was all but gone when I was old enough to turn oot though :(

See that pub the Barley Mow, me sister has lived in London for 23 years, but she rates the Barley Mow as THE best pub there's ever been. Was all but gone when I was old enough to turn oot though :(

It was great like. The Tyne (run by the same bloke who had the BM) has a similar vibe. They destroyed it when it became a Firkin. Stereo was wank as well. Is it still open?

It was great like. The Tyne (run by the same bloke who had the BM) has a similar vibe. They destroyed it when it became a Firkin. Stereo was wank as well. Is it still open?

I'm not sure, I'm very rarely down there. Last two times I was down there was at the court.

my dad told that in the street he grew up in during the fifties that a family up the road kept their horse in the front room of the council house in howdon.

they used to open the window and the horse would stick its heed oot

it was an excellent pub when it was the Barley Mow.

The Egypt Cottage was a better bar in my opinion.

Best thing about the Barley Mow was seeing the rockabilly pool players mercilessly taunting the mackem barman Jez Robinson, who formed "A Love Supreme" & was mackem correspondent for the Sunday Sun.

It's a burnt out shell now Alex.

Insurance job I reckon, as it's been like that for a year or two at least.

And you're right, when it became the Fog & Firkin it was ruined. Like putting implants in Salma.

February 20th this year - I was at The Cluny same night seeing a band & someone mentioned seeing it on way there

And the Barley / Firkin / Stereo burned down in February this year.

Also, Fred Plater does own The Tyne.

He was also Billy Furious's first landlord when he got a flat on manor House road in Jesmond

Billy Furious is Mark Jensen isn't it?

He was also Billy Furious's first landlord when he got a flat on manor House road in Jesmond

No; not at all!!

It must've stood empty for a while before the fire then Gene?

Or was it still trading as Stereo when it went up?

no idea; last time I was in Stereo was January 2006 for a quick pre gig pint before seeing John Cale at The Sage, who was rubbish actually

And you're right, when it became the Fog & Firkin it was ruined. Like putting implants in Salma.

I remember not long after it became 'The Fog' and me and a couple of mates went in for a game of pool (mate lived in Melbourne Street at the time) and there was us, the bar staff and about two other people, on a Saturday night as well. It was canny tragic considering what it had been like. We stayed for about 20 minutes. And aye, I like The Egypt Cottage too. That was turned trendy and ruined. The demise of the Riverside meant they'd both have been on borrowed time anyway though. I assume The Egypt is still trying to be a wine bar.

No; not at all!!

One of the writers used to live in the same street as my mate at Chapel Park. Canny bloke, can't remember his name though, you might know him.

I remember not long after it became 'The Fog' and me and a couple of mates went in for a game of pool (mate lived in Melbourne Street at the time) and there was us, the bar staff and about two other people, on a Saturday night as well. It was canny tragic considering what it had been like. We stayed for about 20 minutes. And aye, I like The Egypt Cottage too. That was turned trendy and ruined. The demise of the Riverside meant they'd both have been on borrowed time anyway though. I assume The Egypt is still trying to be a wine bar.

Egypt has been pulled down!!

The longest continuously trading pub in town is no more.

You're right; demise of Riverside & Julian the manager moving on killed the place.

Preferred jukebox there to Barley; "Waiting Room" by Fugazi, "Mr Pharmacist" by The Fall & lots of Gary Clail.....

No; not at all!!

One of the writers used to live in the same street as my mate at Chapel Park. Canny bloke, can't remember his name though, you might know him.

yes i do (i think) - sent you a PM as using real names & know they don't frequent here

Used to love 'Bloated' at the Riverside. An actual good techno night in Newcastle. I saw Jeff Mills there ffs. Still got some of the flyers otherwise I might not believe it really happened.

Used to love 'Bloated' at the Riverside. An actual good techno night in Newcastle. I saw Jeff Mills there ffs. Still got some of the flyers otherwise I might not believe it really happened.

Jim Mawdsley's club night before Shindig wasn't it?

The new Riverside book by Hazel Plater & Carl Taylor tells the club's story from 85-99 in great detail; well worth buying, especially for the bits by me in it.

Egypt has been pulled down!!

The longest continuously trading pub in town is no more.

You're right; demise of Riverside & Julian the manager moving on killed the place.

Preferred jukebox there to Barley; "Waiting Room" by Fugazi, "Mr Pharmacist" by The Fall & lots of Gary Clail.....

I never realised as I'm never in that part of town now and haven't even driven past there in ages. What is it, flats or something?

It'll only be a matter of time before they ruin the Ouseburn tbh. There's already planning permission to wreck the view from the Free Trade with apartments (although the building slump has put paid to that for the time being). Still, nowt lasts forever I suppose.