Creepy/Good/Interesting Wiki pages

Besty

Used to love 'Bloated' at the Riverside. An actual good techno night in Newcastle. I saw Jeff Mills there ffs. Still got some of the flyers otherwise I might not believe it really happened.

Jim Mawdsley's club night before Shindig wasn't it?

The new Riverside book by Hazel Plater & Carl Taylor tells the club's story from 85-99 in great detail; well worth buying, especially for the bits by me in it.

I don't know who ran it but it ran around the same time as Shindig (Shindig was shit imo). It was monthly but on through the week (Wednesday or Thursday) so it obviously got a few students but at least they were ones with a bit of savvy. Might have a look at that book btw.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cycled down past there on Sunday morning heading to Swalwell, but can't even recall what is there now; levelled land on the whole of the old Tyne Tees site I presume. Will check next weekend.

Was last down Ouseburn for Veronica Falls gig a week past monday; didn't get to Tyne or Free Trade, but Cumberland & Cluny vibrant as ever, with Ship reopened.

There's hope for the alternative end of town yet I guess....

Used to love 'Bloated' at the Riverside. An actual good techno night in Newcastle. I saw Jeff Mills there ffs. Still got some of the flyers otherwise I might not believe it really happened.

The new Riverside book by Hazel Plater & Carl Taylor tells the club's story from 85-99 in great detail; well worth buying, especially for the bits by me in it.

I don't know who ran it but it ran around the same time as Shindig (Shindig was shit imo). It was monthly but on through the week (Wednesday or Thursday) so it obviously got a few students but at least they were ones with a bit of savvy. Might have a look at that book btw.

I was involved with Riv & Paint It Red from 88 when I moved back to North East (had been to quite a few Riv gigs in Summer when visiting, but was a student from 83-88 so missed start up), until around 96 time, when the bairn was born, which pretty much coincided with the gig scene dying out - was never a lover of dance music so i can't comment on quality of any of those nights.

Like the others but the Cluny's a bit up its own arse for me. Obviously that's in the context of the other boozers round there. It's miles better than most of the ones in Town proper, so to speak. I used to get in The Tanners a fair bit too (when the Melbourne Street mate still lived there). Now that's what I'd call an eclectic crowd.

I was involved with Riv & Paint It Red from 88 when I moved back to North East (had been to quite a few Riv gigs in Summer when visiting, but was a student from 83-88 so missed start up), until around 96 time, when the bairn was born, which pretty much coincided with the gig scene dying out - was never a lover of dance music so i can't comment on quality of any of those nights.

Fair dos, there's no accounting for taste ;)

The quality of the DJs was excellent though. Underground techno when that scene was probably at its peak in the UK. I'm sure you can appreciate someone making the effort to put something like that on though, even if the tunes weren't your cup of char.

Oh yes, I could see just how profoundly exciting it was. Having been just too young for punk & really got in to music with the Rough Trade 1978 DIY post punk experimental stuff, I was fully in support & awe of the innovative work going on in that genre.

Sadly, my musical taste had been seduced by Teenage Fanclub, The Wedding Present & The Fall, where it remains to this day; my last 4 gigs have been Roger McGuinn, The Fall, Veronica Falls & Wire.

What happened to the riverside? I loved that place as a teenager. Fond memories include my first eve cowie to the sounds of josh wink at the shindig and seeing noel Gallagher get sparked out on stage by some radgie at oasis's first ever Newcastle gig.

What happened to the riverside? I loved that place as a teenager. Fond memories include my first eve cowie to the sounds of josh wink at the shindig and seeing noel Gallagher get sparked out on stage by some radgie at oasis's first ever Newcastle gig.

Higher State of Conciousness or How's ye evening so far by any chance. Rarara if so.

it became Foundation & is now unlet office space.

missed oasis gig in 94, on holiday

I was going to say until Gene_Clark beat me to it, the Riverside became Foundation and is now a block of flats. I spent just about every Thursday night in there from 98 to 2001, until I got a proper job where getting up on a Friday morning was unfortunately a necessary evil.

My first love lived in Garth Heads, she was from Essex and was a student teacher. Met her at the Riverside. I moved in with her for a while before going to uni. She was a goth but very pretty, one thing that will never leave me was that she had quite big flaps and loved it in the wrong 'un so when i was doing her there her fanny was like Beaker's mouth off the muppets.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...