Jonas Gutierrez signs new four year deal

Tom

By Dan King - Newcastle United Club Reporter

Jonas Gutierrez has agreed a new four-year contract with Newcastle United.

Argentine international Gutierrez, who has started all six of the Magpies' Barclays Premier League fixtures as they have made an unbeaten start to the campaign, said he had "no hestitation" in putting pen to paper on the deal.

His contract already had almost two years to run but it has now been extended to take him up until 2015.

The 28-year-old - nicknamed Spiderman - joined United from Real Mallorca in the summer of 2008 and his recent form has seen him recalled to the Argentina national team.

Jonas told nufc.co.uk: "I've said many times that I love playing for Newcastle. I love the city, the fans and the team. So I had no hesitation in signing a new contract. It has been a good start to the season and this is a great place to be.

"I am proud that the manager and the board see me as part of the long-term future of Newcastle. I have always given my best here and I will always do that."

Manager Alan Pardew said: "Jonas is an integral part of the future of Newcastle United and we are delighted to have signed a new contract with him. As a seasoned

international player, he adds a different dimension to our play when he is on the field and is a huge asset to us.

"Jonas can turn a game in an instant, he has marvellous ball skills, a terrific work rate and in my time here, has hardly missed a game.

"That's the sort of consistency, fitness and performance wise, that a manager looks for in a player."

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised tbh, what sort of money was he on, does anybody know? If it wasn't in excess of/was roughly on a par with Tiote's improved deal it would make sense-I'd just assumed he'd be on more.

You can see how his fitness record and defensive contribution would lead to Pardew make a strong case for his retention.

Very surprised at this news like. He's a frustrating twat at times but I still welcome this.

I'd rather this had been Colo but hopefully this might indicate that there is still a possibility of a new deal for him too (doubt it like).

He'll have to take a massive pay cut to stay. Having said that I dont think he'll get £80k pw elsewhere even if he is on a Bosman. Not worth the risk of him finding out though as Colo is one of the most important members of the team.

CT will be gan f*cking mental over this

What was his wages before he got a new contract? Although it's good news, I don't see this leading to a new contract for Colo as his wages are sky high and is most likely wanted off the wage bill

Edited by StoneColdStephenIreland

Have to say Im surprised by this. Recent rumblings had me expecting his contract to run down and him leave. I know he can be frustrating at times but I think he is a valuable squad member. Pleased with this.

I'd love if Colo followed suit.

Whilst the new contract for Jonas is not earthshattering news (it's good, but not earthshatteringly so), one thing it does do is stem the tide of 'everybody out', which seems to have been the call recently.

If they have been working on this new contract for Jonas then shirley they will have been talking to Colo? Him signing a new contract would be mega kudos for the fat bloke and I would give him the credit he [rightly] would deserve for it. LardAsh, it's over to you......

Surprised tbh, what sort of money was he on, does anybody know? If it wasn't in excess of/was roughly on a par with Tiote's improved deal it would make sense-I'd just assumed he'd be on more.

You can see how his fitness record and defensive contribution would lead to Pardew make a strong case for his retention.

Pardew wanted to keep Carroll and Enrique too.

:D