Can't stop looking at the premiership league table

Flair

I think we're just like blackpool & hull. We won't fall into relegation, but our position flatters us immensley and we all know it.

Doing the team a massive disservice there if you ask me. We're there on merit, with a little bit of luck.

You're one with an agenda and sometimes it shows.

I've recently posted how im overjoyed, how we're excellent and how excited I am about the players we have. No agenda. Surely you don't think we'll be third at Christmas though. We're bound to drop. Think that's realistic rather than negative. Question is how far?

The similarity with those teams is the barnstorming start which we won't maintain.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the words ''fellow struggler's'' certainly leans towards an agenda. :lol:

Mackems and fulhsm are the teams we've beaten that finished above us last year. Both were within 3 points of us.

Perhaps I should have said fellow also-rans.

PP's thread shows we're picking up points where we didn't last season so couldn't ask for much more right now.

I think the words ''fellow struggler's'' certainly leans towards an agenda. :lol:

Mackems and fulhsm are the teams we've beaten that finished above us last year. Both were within 3 points of us.

Perhaps I should have said fellow also-rans.

PP's thread shows we're picking up points where we didn't last season so couldn't ask for much more right now.

As I've said previously, all but the mega-rich fall into that category.

I don't think HF has an agenda tbf. If anything he says it like it is. 3rd does flatter us as we won't finish third. Who thinks we will? No one, which is exactly what he's saying. I do think we should be aiming for a top 10 finish at the very least though as, injuries permitting, we're at least as good as anyone outside the top 6/7. I thought we'd finish about 12th but there's no reason why we can't do a canny bit better than that. We've got the midfield to control matches against most sides and the back four have been quite solid, even if we've rode our luck. Krul has been superb but so fuck? What good side doesn't rely on a good keeper to help them out? We might have been a bit lucky to win yesterday but we played very well 1st half and should have killed the game off at 2-0. Man Utd were very fortunate to beat Norwich in the end yesterday too but, a bit like us, their quality told in the end. That's not me saying we're as good as Man Utd btw :lol:

Cracking result and how good was Spiderman's goal? I honestly thought we were going to throw it away at the end and we must try keep possesion a bit better but I'll take that win every day. I was at Molinuex when Scott scored that header the last time we won down there and I'm sure that put us up to third that day as well! :lol:

We've rode our luck a bit at times but Christ, we're due some from years gone by.

if we finish in the top 8 i'd say that was a job well done. 3rd at the moment is actually beleivable. we are there on merit and despite having ridden our luck we are proving to be resilient and a capable side going forward. defensively we are pretty secure as we have on form the leagues 2nd best keeper, and a centreback pairing who are good enough on form for a top 6 side. the side works well as a unit and we now have better penetration due to the wide players pace on both flanks ( though their final ball seems to still be shit).

Don't forget we are also bedding in 4 new players to the team (Cabaya, Ba, Obertan and I include R Taylor as left back) that's a third of the team, you could also potentially include Krull as well, a keepers relationship/understanding with his centre backs is pivotal.

This team has started well when it should in reality have taken "time to gel", yes we'll suffer injuries and suspensions (as will everyone else), if we avoid key one's great, if we don't form will likely suffer, but I'd rather be facing that likelyhood with 15 points in the bag than 5 or 7. What's not to like.

Edited by Toonpack

Don't forget we are also bedding in 4 new players to the team (Cabaya, Ba, Obertan and I include R Taylor as left back) that's a third of the team, you could also potentially include Krull as well, a keepers relationship/understanding with his centre backs is pivotal.

This team has started well when it should in reality have taken "time to gel", yes we'll suffer injuries and suspensions (as will everyone else), if we avoid key one's great, if we don't form will likely suffer, but I'd rather be facing that likelyhood with 15 points in the bag than 5 or 7. What's not to like.

The sheer number of new players was one of my major concerns and Im impressed the way It's gone, with Cabaye and Ba especially. My fear we wouldn't improve on last season was predicated on that, and at the moment I'm being proven totally wrong.

The sheer number of new players was one of my major concerns and Im impressed the way It's gone, with Cabaye and Ba especially. My fear we wouldn't improve on last season was predicated on that, and at the moment I'm being proven totally wrong.

You're prediction is also not being helped by the fact that the league in general is as "average" as I can recall it for a long time

On the subject of luck, it should be noted that you almost always get more 'luck' if you put in a shift and fight for the shirt. That's how Man U have been so 'lucky' for the last 20-odd years. It's a bit odd to see us getting so 'lucky' because sadly it is something of a rareity to see Toon sides that give a shit about playing for the shirt.

We had the ball in Wolves' net twice in the first half away from home. We created and took our chances. As for Taylor's 'penalty that never was' it was shite naive defending of the sort which means he'll never be a top level centre half ultimately, but at the same time it wasn't something you can get overly indignant about as a Wolves fan because it wasn't even a goal scoring opportunity. It was just shite defending. I never get wound up about that in the same way I never get wound up about very marginal offside decisions that go against us. They're not the injustice of the century at the end of the day

The defence didnt give Krul enough protection for 90 minutes to be scrupulously honest but it wasn't an absolute travesty that Wolves got nowt because they were two down before they even started making a game of it.

Obviously we won't finish top four by the end of the season, but for the moment, lets just enjoy watching a team which clearly wants to go out and do the shirt proud. Try and keep focused on that during the inevitable defeats because they deserve the backing independent of the politics of ownership.

Tbf, we should of won wor last game last season which would have put us 8th in the final reckoning. So, whilst 3rd flatters us atm, I'd be 'Over the moon!' if we ended up 7th this season.

(Which would be nice)

Just a quick point re: comparisons to Blackpool and Hull. They achieved their false league position on the back of their attacking play, we have not. We've the best defence in the country (I'm fairly sure) and that is born of drilling and practise. Yes, S.Taylor's rash tackle could have cost us a penalty and another error by the linesman saved us a point, but those are isolated incidents through 7 league games where, on the whole, we've defended well.

I know he gets a lot of stick on here, but I see Simpson as an average premierleague right back, certainly doesn't look out of place in a mid-table club. Obviously we'll be better when R.Taylor is usurped by Santon, simply because the guy is a better player, but I don't think the calamity that befell Hull and Blackpool lurks round the corner for us simply because our defence looks solid.

When Hull and Blackpool lost their way, they stopped scoring goals and kept conceding. I think when we lose our way, we'll stop scoring goals, but I just don't think we're as likely to give up points as they were.

I still think the 5 game run between Stoke away and Chelsea away will carve away a lot of our lead from our league rivals. I can see us beating Wigan, I can see Spurs handing us our first defeat of the season, I can see us possibly getting 0-2 points from those aforementioned 5 games, I just can't see us capitulating as has been suggested.

Given our start (and more importantly the manner by which we've come by it) I'd be genuinely disappointed if we failed to finish in the top half and I wouldn't be surprised to see us finish top 8. Especially if we sensibly strengthen the striker and defensive positions come January.

can we not just enjoy it some on here are only happy when we are doing bad to prove their point.

We are third top by merit.

Yep, we are third because we have a fantastic spine to the team so far. Krul has been brilliant, Colo is Colo, Taylor is playing like the lad he was hyped to be, Tiote is back to his best, Cabaye has fitted straight in and looks brilliant then we have 2 strikers who average a goal a game between them.

It's no coincidence we are doing so well and although I know we will finish a number of places below where we are now if we can keeps these players performing as they are whilst introducing the likes of Ben Arfa, Santon, Marveaux to the set up we can have a very good season.

I know my "expectations have been lowered etc.." but finishing 7th this season isn't unrealistic and would represent a very good season.

Do we dare dream of 6th? :lol: :lol:

i am loving this start. enjoying it while it lasts! i fully expect us to plummet down to our our natural level of lower mid table by the season's end. we've ridden our luck to get a few dubious results and one or two injuries and we'll look a poor outfit all of a sudden. but you never know, confidence and momentum are massive things in sport. if we can keep injury free, i'll dare to dream. why support the team otherwise?

Fantastic start to the season and whether some people think it flatters us or if others think it's on merit is irrelevant. We can influence the game we're playing and so far we've won 4 and drawn three which is brilliant.

How many times in the premiership years have we gone on a run from about this point in the season and then come the new year, we've commented how we wished we'd got the job done in the early games? Well this season we have done.

I caught a stat yesterday which, given the stigma that this club has had for decades, surprised and pleased me no end... Newcastle United has the meanest defence in the whole of the English league apparently - only 4 goals conceeded all season.

Brilliant stuff - long may it continue. :lol:

i am loving this start. enjoying it while it lasts! i fully expect us to plummet down to our our natural level of lower mid table by the season's end. we've ridden our luck to get a few dubious results and one or two injuries and we'll look a poor outfit all of a sudden. but you never know, confidence and momentum are massive things in sport. if we can keep injury free, i'll dare to dream. why support the team otherwise?

Very good point....!

:lol: :lol: :icon_lol:

The odds of finishing tenth (the goal according to Dekka) and having enough petrol in the tank to achieve due to points having already being stowed away in the bank, are obviously stronger if we're in the 'top 6' mix come January. It will cost more to fund a two-pronged attack next season, 1. to actually make a genuine tilt at it (with a couple of quality additions in Jan) and 2. to have the required squad depth to deal with a congested fixture list next year.

Ashley the Gambler (seeing that we already have points in the bank, should the points acquirement remains steady up to Jan), and his iron resolve of selling key players & gunning for short-term profit (in Jan) is further strengthened thanks to this strong start.

Edited by Year Zero

Brilliant stuff - long may it continue. :lol:

Over the moon, if selected etc :lol:

We must take one game at a time and not get too far ahead of ourselves.