Can't stop looking at the premiership league table

Flair

pardew in danger of turning into david o leary in his leeds days with his recent remarks about being a young team. i'm waiting for the "i'm just a young manager on a journey" follow up.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to sound like ChristmasTree but I have a wonderful feeling about this season. It's going to be a good football year.

You're coveniantly ignoring the pen Wolves shouldve had and the apparently good goal they had chalked off.

If we're as open v Spurs they'll more than likely rip us a new one. Not that i'm not chuffed as nuts with results. Today was great. But chill the fuck oot man. We're at best a work in progress.

Work that will be undone when the foundations collapse as soon as offers come in for Tiote, Cabaye, Collo, Krul etc.

change the fucking record

also correct. Unfortunately. Change your long range specs.

i am loving this start. enjoying it while it lasts! i fully expect us to plummet down to our our natural level of lower mid table by the season's end . we've ridden our luck to get a few dubious results and one or two injuries and we'll look a poor outfit all of a sudden. but you never know, confidence and momentum are massive things in sport. if we can keep injury free, i'll dare to dream. why support the team otherwise?

oooohhh....what must it be like to have a team that qualifies regularly for europe eh ? Surely only a moron would criticise such an expectation and performance ?

can we not just enjoy it some on here are only happy when we are doing bad to prove their point.

We are third top by merit.

Yep, we are third because we have a fantastic spine to the team so far. Krul has been brilliant, Colo is Colo, Taylor is playing like the lad he was hyped to be, Tiote is back to his best, Cabaye has fitted straight in and looks brilliant then we have 2 strikers who average a goal a game between them.

It's no coincidence we are doing so well and although I know we will finish a number of places below where we are now if we can keeps these players performing as they are whilst introducing the likes of Ben Arfa, Santon, Marveaux to the set up we can have a very good season.

I know my "expectations have been lowered etc.." but finishing 7th this season isn't unrealistic and would represent a very good season.

Do we dare dream of 6th? :icon_lol::lol:

:lol:

I think the words ''fellow struggler's'' certainly leans towards an agenda. :lol:

Mackems and fulhsm are the teams we've beaten that finished above us last year. Both were within 3 points of us.

Perhaps I should have said fellow also-rans.

PP's thread shows we're picking up points where we didn't last season so couldn't ask for much more right now.

As I've said previously, all but the mega-rich fall into that category.

and NUFC are no bigger [or richer] than the likes of Bolton, Blackburn, Wolves, West Ham etc ? :lol:

Don't forget we are also bedding in 4 new players to the team (Cabaya, Ba, Obertan and I include R Taylor as left back) that's a third of the team, you could also potentially include Krull as well, a keepers relationship/understanding with his centre backs is pivotal.

This team has started well when it should in reality have taken "time to gel", yes we'll suffer injuries and suspensions (as will everyone else), if we avoid key one's great, if we don't form will likely suffer, but I'd rather be facing that likelyhood with 15 points in the bag than 5 or 7. What's not to like.

Ye Gods........we sold 3 players who were already "bedded in" man.

Then your man was going to show his ambition, as the club is now in a "buying" position. According to you, anyway.

When exactly is your new deadline to "show his ambition" ?

I hate to sound like ChristmasTree but I have a wonderful feeling about this season. It's going to be a good football year.

You're coveniantly ignoring the pen Wolves shouldve had and the apparently good goal they had chalked off.

If we're as open v Spurs they'll more than likely rip us a new one. Not that i'm not chuffed as nuts with results. Today was great. But chill the fuck oot man. We're at best a work in progress.

Work that will be undone when the foundations collapse as soon as offers come in for Tiote, Cabaye, Collo, Krul etc.

change the fucking record

also correct. Unfortunately. Change your long range specs.

How is it? I don't think we're as much of a selling club as some people like to believe we are. Like, at all.

Carroll and Milner were the only ones that were sold for the £££ and nothing else.

edit; you're not sober by any chance are you?

Edited by Tecato

I still think the 5 game run between Stoke away and Chelsea away will carve away a lot of our lead from our league rivals. I can see us beating Wigan, I can see Spurs handing us our first defeat of the season, I can see us possibly getting 0-2 points from those aforementioned 5 games, I just can't see us capitulating as has been suggested

I think you will find I am the man everyone listens to when predicting NUFC scores, so wait until the fat lad sings

I still think the 5 game run between Stoke away and Chelsea away will carve away a lot of our lead from our league rivals. I can see us beating Wigan, I can see Spurs handing us our first defeat of the season, I can see us possibly getting 0-2 points from those aforementioned 5 games, I just can't see us capitulating as has been suggested

I think you will find I am the man everyone listens to when predicting NUFC scores, so wait until the fat lad sings

How is karaoke going Berb?

Just a quick point re: comparisons to Blackpool and Hull. They achieved their false league position on the back of their attacking play, we have not. We've the best defence in the country (I'm fairly sure) and that is born of drilling and practise.

When Hull and Blackpool lost their way, they stopped scoring goals and kept conceding. I think when we lose our way, we'll stop scoring goals, but I just don't think we're as likely to give up points as they were.

Our solid defence is definitely going to stand us in good stead against the teams around us. In saying that I still think the likes of Citeh, ManU, Chelski will cut us open pretty easily.

But while being a side that scores alot of goals is more conducive to upsetting big teams, defending well will help us beat the teams around us more consitantly. While beating a top 3 side would be nice I'd much rather we consistantly get results against our direct competition.

About form. Goal scoring will always go away before defending well does. For the simple reason that defending is about discipline and attitude, while goal scoring has alot more to do with confidence.

So yeah, you're right, our tight defence is something we can definitely hope ( :lol: ) to rely upon.

Apart from all that I wouldn't jump for joy at the prospect of us signing any of Hull or Blackpool's side from their relegation season, Adam aside, so that says something about the relative quality of those sides compared to us.

Any evidence for this happening? Said like its unquestionably true whereas its now an assumption thats unquestionably false. Also, seeing as the evidence that we will sell Tiote & Cabaye is that we sold Nolan and Barton, isnt that evidence that if they are sold they will be replaced by better players?

Lazy.

Any evidence for this happening? Said like its unquestionably true whereas its now an assumption thats unquestionably false. Also, seeing as the evidence that we will sell Tiote & Cabaye is that we sold Nolan and Barton, isnt that evidence that if they are sold they will be replaced by better players?

Lazy.

Surely that remains to be seen.

Obertan's filling Barton's boots rather poorly.

Raylor is the new Enrique (can't judge Santon yet).

Cabaye's better than Nolan clearly, despite not supplying as many goals.

Ba better than Carroll? On current form he might be, aye. But that's based on the last 2 games, 4 games prior he was awful.

Lazy.

Ba better than Carroll? On current form he might be, aye. But that's based on the last 2 games, 4 games prior he was awful.

As was Carroll for completeness.

Lazy.

As was Carroll for completeness.

Abso-bloody-exactly

I think you have to be completely objective and say if we finish higher than last year, the team has progressed / improved. It's as simple as that really. It's not really worth worrying about selling our best players until it happens.

I think you have to be completely objective and say if we finish higher than last year, the team has progressed / improved. It's as simple as that really. It's not really worth worrying about selling our best players until it happens.

Agreed. Plus it allows you to look at us as a squad rather than a team. If the squad is weaker on balance, then claims we can put out a better starting 11 have to have less weight.

Obviously I hope we kick on though as I think the players are good enough to if they continue to play to the best of their abilities and get a bit of support in Jan (absolutely not banking on the latter of course).

Apparently Carroll was awful against Everton too although I didn't watch it & he scored.

He was.

The whole team was until they scored the Newcastle old boys goal, Carroll can't do fuck all if he doesn't see the ball.

Apparently Carroll was awful against Everton too although I didn't watch it & he scored.

He was.

The whole team was until they scored the Newcastle old boys goal, Carroll can't do fuck all if he doesn't see the ball.

He did see the ball before that though and took heavy touches, mis-placed passes and looked off the pace.

I reckon he will come good though so this Ba / Carroll discussion is going to evolve, at the moment Ba has 4 goals to his 1 but i think Carroll is a great player that Dalglish needs to work out how to use properly. I think Pardew is clear on how to use Ba.

He was.

He did see the ball before that though and took heavy touches, mis-placed passes and looked off the pace.

I reckon he will come good though so this Ba / Carroll discussion is going to evolve, at the moment Ba has 4 goals to his 1 but i think Carroll is a great player that Dalglish needs to work out how to use properly. I think Pardew is clear on how to use Ba.

And your opinion of his team mate during that game?

He was.

And your opinion of his team mate during that game?

Enrique? Still learning how they play, delayed putting the ball in and then put it in too early but overall think he looks every bit the player we had. Not quite as effective with Downing as with Jonas but him and Bellamy combined well when he came on to effectively win them the game.

Agreed. Plus it allows you to look at us as a squad rather than a team. If the squad is weaker on balance, then claims we can put out a better starting 11 have to have less weight.

Obviously I hope we kick on though as I think the players are good enough to if they continue to play to the best of their abilities and get a bit of support in Jan (absolutely not banking on the latter of course).

but what do you think we will do Sammy ? Do you think we are a better team, or a better squad ? And do you think that Mike Ashley is on the right lines to restore the club back to one of the main challengers ?

Less of the bluster and hot air man.....