Is Krul one of the best keepers in the league?

Monroe Transfer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course he is.

EDIT: I still think Given is absolute class though but I think Krul has the potential to be even better and command his area in a way Given never has done.

I wanted to type "Is he the best keeper in the league (based on current form)" in the thread title field but I thought that was going too far.

Edited by Tecato

He has matured into the player we all knew he could become since that night in Sicily. I don't think we'll face a fight to hang on to him in the short term (that is, if Fat Mike wants to hang on to him :lol: ). Where would he go? Man U have just bought two new keepers, Chelsea have Cech, City have Hart, Liverpool have Reina, and Arsenal are in crisis, especially if Wenger eventually goes.

He has matured into the player we all knew he could become since that night in Sicily. I don't think we'll face a fight to hang on to him in the short term (that is, if Fat Mike wants to hang on to him :lol: ). Where would he go? Man U have just bought two new keepers, Chelsea have Cech, City have Hart, Liverpool have Reina, and Arsenal are in crisis, especially if Wenger eventually goes.

European clubs.

He's very young by keeper standards, he's got international pedigree, seems to have a lot of self-confidence (although he's still a bit hesitant at times). As a keeper he's got all the right attributes.

He's a very good keeper, yes.

But there are better. I don't think he's in the same league as Given. Reminds me very much of Tommy Wright. And anyone who saw that game vs Bristol Rovers all those years ago will know what I'm talking about.

But there are better. I don't think he's in the same league as Given.

I agree. But whereas Given is a fantastic shot-stopper, he's never been dominating his penalty area, he prefers to stay on the line.

Krul is showing signs of developing into that keeper who really dominates the penalty area as well as being a great shot-stopper.

on current form, he's up there. but he's got to do it consistently. he's a great shot stopper, excellent reflexes and he's still young so should only get better.

i'm not convinced he's the best at coming for crosses and his kicking hasn't always been the greatest. i'd still put czech, given and hart above him....for now.

I agree. But whereas Given is a fantastic shot-stopper, he's never been dominating his penalty area, he prefers to stay on the line.

Krul is showing signs of developing into that keeper who really dominates the penalty area as well as being a great shot-stopper.

I agree to an extent but I'm still to be totally convinced with regards to him dealing with crosses. Been years since we've had a keeper who is totally commanding in the air.

Tim had a bloody good game on Saturday.

I agree to an extent but I'm still to be totally convinced with regards to him dealing with crosses. Been years since we've had a keeper who is totally commanding in the air.

Adrian Durham has been saying Sczezny is the best but he is a cock like.

Was gutted when Given went because he was such a phenomenal shotstopper. However he had no command of any aerial stuff and he was a career whisperer. You need a vocal, dominating physical presence to really be great as a keeper and that's where he always fell short.

David James carved out a reputation as a flapper down the years and to a degree he definitely was, but he came for dozens more balls than the likes of Given ever did and percentage wise you probably do more to help your defence by proactively 'coming for crosses' like that and spilling the odd one now and then than you do by leaving strikers totally unchallenged and being a complete reaction keeper.

Hopefully Krul can come to have a better balance to his game.

I don't really rate Cech; he's an incredibly error-prone keeper.

Krul has shown that he's got great potential; definitely out-performing De Gea. There are some fantastic keepers in the league though who have been consistent for years. On current from Krul has been up there with them yes, but hopefully he's learning all the while and will go on to become an important player for us.

He was fantastic that night against Palermo and he's clearly our no.1 keeper now. Unbelievable.

David James carved out a reputation as a flapper down the years and to a degree he definitely was, but he came for dozens more balls than the likes of Given ever did and percentage wise you probably do more to help your defence by proactively 'coming for crosses' like that and spilling the odd one now and then than you do by leaving strikers totally unchallenged and being a complete reaction keeper.

That's interesting. I think one of the most important, if not the most important, qualities of a keeper is you should emit reliability, your defenders must have complete confidence in their keeper. James was indeed a flapper and when he went up for a cross everybody, including his defenders, knew that there was a risk of him making a mess of it. That is not a reliable keeper, he didn't know his shortcomings. Given doesn't come for half as many crosses because he knows his strengths and weaknesses. The very best keepers have it all, as you say hopefully Krul will become one such keeper.

That's interesting. I think one of the most important, if not the most important, qualities of a keeper is you should emit reliability, your defenders must have complete confidence in their keeper. James was indeed a flapper and when he went up for a cross everybody, including his defenders, knew that there was a risk of him making a mess of it. That is not a reliable keeper, he didn't know his shortcomings. Given doesn't come for half as many crosses because he knows his strengths and weaknesses. The very best keepers have it all, as you say hopefully Krul will become one such keeper.

Basically aye. But James didn't miss that many in point of fact, it's just the errors were more memorable than the routine takes, so it would often come across like that. I would say percentage wise it helps if your keeper jumps and makes it physically far more difficult for a striker to have a free header. There are crosses that should always be left by the keeper however and for me that's where the true judgment lies. Given never came for owt at all though so it was never a judgment call in the true sense.

we have never had a keeper who is good on crosses in all my time watching NUFC, bar Roger Jones, who hardly played because he had to end his career.

I've called Krul a flapper in the past, but on Saturday he was anything but, as I've said in the thread about the match. Long may it continue and I hope he is going to consistently boss his box like he did, playing against the likes of Stoke etc will be another test for him.

Krul has shown that he's got great potential; definitely out-performing De Gea. There are some fantastic keepers in the league though who have been consistent for years. On current from Krul has been up there with them yes, but hopefully he's learning all the while and will go on to become an important player for us.

He was fantastic that night against Palermo and he's clearly our no.1 keeper now. Unbelievable.

Funny enough i've always said that as well, could you have imagine Given sitting behind such a solid defence like Chelsea (when carvalhio was there) or in man.u's

Why arsenal never paid the 5-6m for him when the keeper crisis started back when almunia became #1 choice I will never understand

We've been spoilt with keepers like, even Hislop and Srnicek were far from being lumped with the likes of a paddy kenny or Mark Bosnich

Bosnich when he was at Villa was phenomenal and was a major part of why they won the league cup in 93/94 and their 4th place finish in 95/96.

He's also a huge wanker and that's why he pissed, snorted and spit roasted his career away.

And unlike Yorke who was his partner in crime, he couldn't maintain his playing ability.

Funny enough i've always said that as well, could you have imagine Given sitting behind such a solid defence like Chelsea (when carvalhio was there) or in man.u's

Why arsenal never paid the 5-6m for him when the keeper crisis started back when almunia became #1 choice I will never understand

We've been spoilt with keepers like, even Hislop and Srnicek were far from being lumped with the likes of a paddy kenny or Mark Bosnich

"an uncharacteristic mistake from petr cech" is one of the most unusually common lines of commentary in football these days

his reputation was gained off the back of an outstanding first season not unlike Torres really

Im a big fan of his but he's not one the best yet. Give him three 3or4 years of injury free development then we could have one of the best keepers in the league.

:lol:

Adrian Durham has been saying Sczezny is the best but he is a cock like.

Adrian Durham says anything to court controversy tbh. He's the ultimate radio phone-in prostitute.

Cech has never been the same since his head injury, which is more than understandable to be fair to him.

This tbh.

Before that he was world class.

Started this season very well, hope he keeps on developing as a keeper but he needs a couple of quality seasons to be called one of the best keepers in the league, no doubting his potential.