George Burley

snakehips

I had just read about that -

Former Hearts and Ipswich boss George Burley is to be unveiled as the new head coach of Southampton on Friday.

Sir Clive Woodward, the former England and British Lions rugby union head coach, is to be director of football.

Saints chairman Rupert Lowe said: "I am delighted with the new arrangements that were approved unanimously by the board in line with my recommendation.

"I believe we now have a management team that will deliver stability, results and exciting football."

Woodward told www.saintsfc.co.uk: "George is the right appointment for the club.

"As head coach he will have complete control of team selection, tactics and coaching issues and I will concentrate on strategic issues which affect the club in less obvious but equally important ways.

"The chairman, George and myself have a very clear idea of where we want to take this club, and I really look forward to working with George.

"I am delighted that we have the full support of the board."

Burley, 49, inherits a team who are 12th in the Championship, just four points off the play-off places, following 13 draws from their 23 games.

The Scot, who has also managed Colchester and Derby, said: "I am very pleased to come on board at St Mary's and I am looking forward to my first game at Vicarage Road on Boxing Day.

"Southampton have an exciting young team and I believe that they should, and can, be much higher in the Championship table than they are.

"It's my job to make sure that this happens. I am delighted to accept the head coach position.

"I'm at my best on the training ground, and my role at Southampton will allow me to concentrate on that.

"Clive and I have had detailed discussions on how we will work together and I'm excited by the prospect."

Burley left Hearts in October after less than four months in charge, citing "irreconcilable differences" with the board after falling out with major shareholder Vladimir Romanov.

He previously quit as boss of Championship side Derby in June after claiming his position was "untenable".

Burley succeeds Harry Redknapp, who returned to Portsmouth this month after spending a year with their arch rivals on the south coast.

Woodward joined Southampton as technical director before the start of the season after the Lions' disappointing tour of New Zealand.

My betting is that he'll be a great success too !

70960[/snapback]

Agree.

The director of football role probably suits Woodward better too. When he was England rugby boss he concentrated on organisation and strategy and left the actual coaching to Dennis Betts and Phil Larder.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Off to Southampton according to Talksport.

One less obstruction to Steve Bruce getting the job here once Souness has left then!!

70939[/snapback]

Another "future England boss" could be in contention, in Alan Curbishley...

70976[/snapback]

If I were a betting man, I would put 40p on Allerdyce ending up here. He has taken Bolton as far as a shitty club like that can go and now that we have a few good players the attraction to be able to take on the top four must surely be tempting.

If Souness takes care of matters as I expect, Allerdyce will be here to replace him after giving Bolton the parting present of another season in Europe to look forward to.

Off to Southampton according to Talksport.

One less obstruction to Steve Bruce getting the job here once Souness has left then!!

70939[/snapback]

Another "future England boss" could be in contention, in Alan Curbishley...

70976[/snapback]

Curbs doesn't want to move North though does he? And the prospect of Allardyce doesn't set my pulse racing either.