MacBook pro advice

2bias

Hi guys,

I've said on here before that I'm going to buy a MacBook pro and need a bit of advice what to go for. I know a bit about computers but not a lot and I don't wanna spend extra on something I don't need. Basically I'm after the 15inch model but not sure which one to go for.

I don't play high spec games etc, the highest spec I play is football manager. So I'm not sure whether to get the more expensive one with better graphics?!?

I also don't get the difference in 2.0ghz and 2.2ghz. Not sure whether to upgrade to 8mb ram either or if it won't make a difference overall.

I would really appreciate some advice from anyone who knows a lot about this stuff or who has a mac.

Cheers guys (I'm a computer mong)

If you don't want to spend extra on something you don't need then avoid getting a MacBook. Ger a Windows 7 laptop with the same specs and save a significant amount of money.

You certainly won't need a decent graphics card if you're only playing the likes of FM and I doubt you'll need 8GB of RAM unless you're doing some really resource heavy video editing or something along those lines.

iOS is quality, don't get me wrong but I can't emphasize enough how a Windows 7 laptop would be so much better value for your money (unless you need to use iOS only applications like Final Cut Pro).

Sorry I forgot to say I am refusing to go back to windows as I have gone through two £700 pound laptops in three years and I'm sick of them breaking or fucking up.

For me it's the diff between 1500 and 1800 quid and although it's only £300 it's still £300. I was looking at the 13inch version but there dual core not quad core..........not sure the difference :-D

MACs are aimed at graphic designers, so thats why they do an 8GB model. You wont need anywhere near that spec. You wont notice the difference between 2.0ghz and 2.2ghz - hardly anything.

I would highly suggest not much paying the Apple price tag. Just get any dual core, 4GB laptop for £300 and install OSX.

Edited by Phil

I'd disagree with the above, i've had tonnes of laptops, they always fuck up somehow or another after like 6 months, and from people who have had macs, macs are so consistent, as are most of their other products, plus every new update to the software means your macbook is fresh and great to use. You pay more but get a longer life.

I'd disagree with the above, i've had tonnes of laptops, they always fuck up somehow or another after like 6 months, and from people who have had macs, macs are so consistent, as are most of their other products, plus every new update to the software means your macbook is fresh and great to use. You pay more but get a longer life.

This is why I wanna try MacBook pro. I just wanna know what the best model is for surfing the web play football manager and watching films etc with the occasional downloading and streaming.

2bias btw i suggest you try and get a decent run using OSX, i ran it for a while on my netbook and i loathed the thing, irritated me no end.

I got nothing to run it off. I have been using an iPad since august since my last laptop expired. Unless the iPad is running on osx.... Lol

Seriously though I need know whether to spend the extra.

Unless you do any serious work, like with Photoshop, then get a Macbook Air. Don't let the relatively modest specs put you off. The solid state (flash memory) hard disk more than makes up for it. I've got a 27'' i5 iMac and a Macbook Air, and for routine tasks they are just as quick as each other.

I'm surprised the Air is less popular than the iPad tbh. More or less the same dimensions and weight, but the air can do proper work.

Yup i'd go the Air myself

2bias, head into the apple store and spend a decent amount of time properly pissing about with things, rather than just using the web browser i mean,

I get put off with the apple stores though cause it's people bullshitting you when they don't really know what there talking about. I just wanna know if I can play football manager and run hd movies etc without a problem, and of course cruise toontastic.

Never been massively enamoured with Apple stores but what I will say is they know their products so there'll be no bullshit.

Certainly not the same experience as in PC World where some spotty teenager reckons (falsely) they know the inside of a computer like the back of their hand and they automatically treat anyone over the age of 25 as a technological luddite.

Lad don't waste a lot of money on an Apple computer just for the sake of it. I've been using vista on my laptop for 20months now near enough and its still doing grand, i'll be changing to windows7 soon enough but thats not because vista's shit.

Sorry I forgot to say I am refusing to go back to windows as I have gone through two £700 pound laptops in three years and I'm sick of them breaking or fucking up.

For me it's the diff between 1500 and 1800 quid and although it's only £300 it's still £300. I was looking at the 13inch version but there dual core not quad core..........not sure the difference :-D

Was it Windows' fault though? Macs aren't fail-safe either. From the sounds of it though if you're sure about a Mac then go for one of the lower specced ones, just make sure it has at least 2GB of RAM and a decent hard drive.

Hmm... maybe you could get one second hand or a refurb model?

You're either:

- not looking after your laptops

- extremely unlucky

- or getting a laptop from a less reputable manufacturer.

The build quality of Macs is fantastic, don't get me wrong. But for the extra price you'd expect that. There are so many different companies out there. Some are better than others when it comes to laptops, Do a bit of research into build quality/failure rates etc and you'll come across a laptop/laptop manufacturer you can trust.

I'm having the same dilemma. My desktop which has served me extremely well, is on its way out.

Debating what to get next, by that I mean basically an iMac or Macbook.

The macbook pro is at the end of its cycle and there will be an overhaul in 2012, the rumours are it will be a complete redesign. My advice would be to wait for either the new design or to take advantage of the price reductions on the old Feb 11 macbook pros. You could do straight for the air now as thats just started the development cycle. You're top of the range 13 inch Air with 256gb of flash is a couple of hundred cheaper than the 15 inch with 500gb and i expect the price of this model to fall in next year's cycle.

As for prices, dont listen to the moron pc brigade. I bought a powerbook G4 in 2002 and a Macbook in 2007. 2 laptops in 10 years, the screen broke on my first one after it got sat on at a party, my current macbook has had no ram added and still runs fine. I will upgrade after 5 years next year, thats less than £2000 in 10 years of computing, with no hassle, no worries and top performance.

There is no argument against those numbers.

Hi guys

I really appreciate all the advice it has helped me a lot. Basically I have spent the last 24hours reading reviews and watching YouTube videos etc etc. I have been out to apple store and had a look and spoke to one of the employees there. I have decided to go for the 13inch model. I know some of you have said about the air but I need a disc drive tbh. As I don't know much about graphics cards etc I was unsure if I would be able to run games like football manager but looking at videos on YouTube people are reviewing their own 13inch baseline models running the likes of portal and borderlands without any problems. Seeing as I don't run the 3d engine on FM I don't think I'll have a problem. The main difference I was told between the 13 inch models and the 15 inch is the dual core and quad core but I was told if I don't know whether I would need the quad core then chances are I don't.

My laptop which broke was an i3, the 13inch I've seen reviewed is an i5 so I am wondering whether I need to spend the extra £300 for the i7 and extra 180gb hard drive.

As for prices, dont listen to the moron pc brigade. I bought a powerbook G4 in 2002 and a Macbook in 2007. 2 laptops in 10 years, the screen broke on my first one after it got sat on at a party, my current macbook has had no ram added and still runs fine. I will upgrade after 5 years next year, thats less than £2000 in 10 years of computing, with no hassle, no worries and top performance.

There is no argument against those numbers.

That's a pretty poor comparison - seeing as you've not actually owned a Windows laptop to compare it with. You trying to justify the extra outlay? ;)

And again, not trying to sound patronising but you and others are comparing Apple hardware against a multitude of laptops from different manufacturers, all with different build qualities. That doesn't exactly make sense. Windows 7 is absolutely fine, I've not had a single problem with it since the first day I started using it. You know you're going to get great build quality with a Mac, but if it were me I'd do a bit of research and read some laptop reviews/opinions. You'll soon know how reliable a particular model is.

BUT - if you can afford it, and you value build quality particularly highly - then fair enough, go for a Mac. In terms of what I'd deem value for money, you're always going to be better off not getting a Mac because they are ridiculously overpriced (new ones at least).

What sort of spec would people recommend getting for an iMac?

I'll be using it to play the likes of Football Manager, as well as doing some video editing.