MacBook pro advice

2bias

Value for money is not an IT issue, its an economics one. That comment wasnt directed at anyone, just the typical view that macs dont give you value for money. As someone with over 16 years of PC user experience, 11 of which involving ram-busting modelling software and 10 years on a mac, i reckon the view about them being too expensive is unarguable but value for money is not as straightforward as looking at prices. Once you've been using a computer for 20 years then the difference between getting 5 years use (the latest macbook pros will give you 10 according to the latest reviews, so fuck knows what the next one will give) as opposed to 2 or 3 makes the price differential a lot lower than it appears. I've 6 Dells/IBM notebooks in 7 years and 2 macs in 10, the IBMs were awful performance wise. Really noticed them degrading after 12 months. My latest Dell is a lot better but it still crashes all the time as we havent moved up to windows 7 yet.

Can you get a PC laptop for £300 that lasts for 5 years under heavy use? If you can, then maybe i'm wrong but i reckon you need to have Ant's level of hardware/general tekkers to understand it all and know whats best (based on years of investment of time in the field). Still, as my peripherals are an iPad and an iPhone, i'd rather save those extra minutes/hours per week/month from it all just working together perfectly.

I'm going for the £999 13inch. Can't believe I was going to pay £1900 for something I didn't need. Thanks all for help.

What are the specs?

2.3GHz dual-core

Intel Core i5

4GB 1333MHz

320GB 5400-rpm1

Intel HD Graphics 3000

Apparently from what I've read online the i7 is only 9% faster?!?!?

From what I've seen on YouTube videos and what the guy said in apple store this should do me fine.

You've got more money than sense, could easily get a laptop to do what you require it to for £300-£400.

Yes but i am sick of windows based laptops going wrong and breaking. And if it last me a good few years then what's a £1000.

I'm going for the £999 13inch. Can't believe I was going to pay £1900 for something I didn't need. Thanks all for help.

What are the specs?

2.3GHz dual-core

Intel Core i5

4GB 1333MHz

320GB 5400-rpm1

Intel HD Graphics 3000

From what I've seen on YouTube videos and what the guy said in apple store this should do me fine.

What exactly will you be doing on it? Just FM and web browsing? If that's the case then those specs will be more than adequate, indeed it will be future-proof for a while.

What are the specs?

2.3GHz dual-core

Intel Core i5

4GB 1333MHz

320GB 5400-rpm1

Intel HD Graphics 3000

What exactly will you be doing on it? Just FM and web browsing? If that's the case then those specs will be more than adequate, indeed it will be future-proof for a while.

Yeah was just going to be web browsing, watching films etc and FM but looking at YouTube and seeing what other games it supports well I'll be playing them :-). (borderlands get in)

I don't do video editing or photoshop stuff so should be good.

Enjoy your new computer, 2bias. I dunno if you've bought Apple products before, but if you haven't, prepare for a sex wee when you unbox it. Those Apple boys know how to pack a box.

btw, the photo isn't big enough for me to be certain, but it looks like you married a stunner. Well played.

Enjoy your new computer, 2bias. I dunno if you've bought Apple products before, but if you haven't, prepare for a sex wee when you unbox it. Those Apple boys know how to pack a box.

btw, the photo isn't big enough for me to be certain, but it looks like you married a stunner. Well played.

I'm currently using an iPad and have been since the laptop broke. I love unwrapping apple products.

Thank you for the complement on the picture btw.

Forget about his wife - that cake is something else by the looks of it. Tell us more about the cake.

Lol cant really comment as I'm not a fan of cake...(I didn't choose it)

• 3 weeks later...

Aye..I'd never go back to a pc. I have to work with both but the less time I spend on the pc the better! Before I started on macs I was very anti-mac like most pc users...but it's just ignorance and assumptions that cause that attitude. After using both there really is no comparison. Still have to revert to PC for games but only cos there are hardly any available on mac.

Ok. I'm a programmer for a living - I'm not the type that just fucks things up by messing with things I shouldn't and I still stand by what I said. Windows pc's just fuck up on their own. There are a lot of ill informed people that believe they can match a mac for a fraction of the price by sourcing parts of the same spec but they completely miss the point i.e. the 100% compatibility of all of the parts that go together coupled with an OS that is built on those parts which avoids sooooo many problems with pc's and they always forget the fact that they have to put the pc together themselves and usually the parts are the same spec on paper but not in reality - you can get cheap versions of all sorts but you pay the price with the performance. Basically, most of the arguments are purely fanboy based as if admitting there is a better machine in the shops than the one you own is something to be ashamed of!

I've been on both ends of the mac vs pc debates (finally holding up my hands and realising I was wrong to support the pc) and they bore me to death - especially when 99% of the pipe-uppers have only ever tried one or the other long enough to make an informed decision. Hopefully there ain't gonna be another one ruining this forum.

That said...I run windaz on my mac on another drive and as a VM and it runs better than it ever did on any pc I had or have. Still crashes for no reason though.

The fact so many of the mac users have to spend a load of time getting bootcamp up and running is a cracker as well.

??? I installed windows in the time it took to press the power button and wait for windows to install. If I was to do it as a bootcamp partition, it would just take an extra couple of minutes for bootcamp to create the named partition. Again...there are a lot of complete numpties around that might be on for weeks trying to do this sort of stuff on all operating systems, but most people just do it...which is why you never hear about them cos they don't have to post all over tinterwebs asking for help.

I do PHP, MySQL, Jquery etc... Moving to C# and Cocao - web based stuff is much better on a mac since you can fully test in mac browsers AND pc ones on the same machine. Also, you need a mac to develop apple apps and use their sdk (or at least you did when I last checked around a year ago). I use an 8-core mac pro, 16gb ram (ram isn't as expensive if you buy it from crucial instead of with the mac). I also do design so the ram and processor power comes in rather handy :)

That's just it. It isn't the same spec as yours. Also, you can buy good and bad hardware with the same 'numbers'. At the time I got it (2 years ago) you would have been lucky to get 16gb ram for under £1500 (unless you buy the shittest of ram you can possibly find - like the "I can match your spec cheaper" bunch). I bought it with a lot of extras totalling over £7000 but for the tower I would say it was around £3500, 2x top spec graphics cards, extended support, some chosen software preinstalled 2x2tb drives, ram in 4 sticks to allow me to expand to 32gb later, magic mouse which was extra at the time etc... but as I said, all top spec hardware...Of course you probably could match the price buying the hardware...but it would be shitty hardware with a shit OS.

Haven't fully decided on c# yet. It just looks easy but I need to wait until work slows up a bit before I go at it.

you can't test mac stuff on a pc since you can't install os x on one (well you can if you build a hackintosh but that is the biggest fuck on imaginable) and you can test aa/aaa on anything anyway. I test in around 20-30 different browsers including all iphones and ipads using the sdk which isn't available for pc and never will be.

After working on pc for years then switching to mac, my productivity increased by about 40%. Coda is definitely the best IDE ever made and is a pleasure to use and speeds up productivity. That along with the lack of crashes (never once has it even froze for 2 seconds since I got it and I am on it 12-14 hours per day every day) or "Windows is installing updates 2% done...please wait half an hour before you can crack on with your job which you will have to start again as windows is going to reboot and delete files and fuck up your email clients and all sorts" bollocks!

But for games....Straight over to Windows (on my mac hardware of course ;) )

But this is starting to sound too much like a mac vs pc debate which I want nowt more to do with. I have lived with both (pc for 20 years and mac for 2) and still use both working on 3-4 machines all at once and still feel like all the pc's are a crock every day of my life!

<endRant />

Edited by Ruler of Planet Houston

Hardware background? I've never worked for a motherboard manufacturer or anything if that's what you mean. Just the same as most people really...built my own computers (and others!) since the pentium 100 days, did little repair jobs, data recovery etc... lived as a geek, read a lot, experiment and all that balls. Nowt credible. And like most people that run web design companies I have all aspects of digital design experience too. Dabbled with programmingsince I was a nipper with a spectrum and eventually realised if I put the graphics and programming together, I could get paid for it. 3D design went out the window when I realised I couldn't afford the hardware to keep up with the pros (I think shrek or monsters inc release made me realise my pc just wasn't up to the job)

Really fancy doing standalone desktop programs which is why I was thinking about C# and the fact it is almost identical to php (looking at it) but I am open to suggestions for owt better. Whatever is best for writing business applications I suppose.

I assumed you were web since you mentioned the aa/aaa compliance but then why would you be working in c#? Unless you work for google or something.