Toontastic agony aunts & uncles.

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

I'm feeling very down at the moment.

Me and me ex split earlier in the year after eight years together. I always thought we'd find a way to make things work and get back together, but heard recently that she had a new fella, and I've just seen them in Morrisons. It's brought home to me how lonely I'm feeling and what a massive fuck up I've made of my life. I'm naturally quite a shy, introverted person and although I have a small circle of really good friends, they're all either settled down or live away. I don't have any other real acquaintances. This makes it difficult for me to imagine meeting anyone, combined with the fact that I live in a backwater town in Teesside and at the age of 40 I feel too old to go clubbing. I've been out of circulation so long as far as dating is concerned I wouldn't know where to start.

Sorry for moaping, but I just felt like letting it out.

Serious and the usual piss-taking TT responses welcome.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry to hear that Noisewater!

As much as it may have been taboo a few years a go a lot of people these days are using dating sites, A good friend of mine met his lass on one & he's late twenties & ''cool'', plus I know a couple of lads who've moved away to work who've used them and if nowt else it gets them out and meeting people.

What do you do for work? Thinking back most of my ex's/my current/people I have been with have been from work :lol:

Chin up fella, you'll meet someone when you least expect it.

Plus what Tom said is a good idea, especially as they keep advertising one for people in uniform, go for that one :lol:

Edited by Gejon

What do you do for work? Thinking back most of my ex's/my current/people I have been with have been from work :lol:

Plus what Tom said is a good idea, especially as they keep advertising one for people in uniform, go for that one :lol:

I'm a dispensing optician. Small family firm, not a huge staff and they've all either been there for years or are kids half my age. I did have a relationship with a co-worker once before and it didn't end well! <_<

My work is great, so I don't really want to change that.

I'm a dispensing optician. Small family firm, not a huge staff and they've all either been there for years or are kids half my age. I did have a relationship with a co-worker once before and it didn't end well! <_<

My work is great, so I don't really want to change that.

Still don't see what's wrong with the half your age bit... :D

Must get the chance to be up close and personal with a few lasses while you are looking deep into their eyes ;)

Still don't see what's wrong with the half your age bit... :D Must get the chance to be up close and personal with a few lasses while you are looking deep into their eyes ;)

Oh, aye. It's great if you're into pensioners like. I'm nee Rooney ;)

What the fuck has happened to the wink btw?

Dating sites all the way, baby!

You should still try to get out and about, meet people in a sports group or something like that. What are your hobbies?

Was speaking to a lad from my gym about dating sites and he and his mates average 2/3 dates per week with different girls. I was surprised he was on one as he's a very outgoing bloke. He said his mates talked him into it and it's so easy as everyone is on it for the same reason. He was out with a girl a few weeks ago and after a couple of drinks revealed that she's a 'babestation' girl! Half the lads in the pub were trying to place her face I'd say.

Anyway, good luck with it Dr K.

Still don't see what's wrong with the half your age bit... :D Must get the chance to be up close and personal with a few lasses while you are looking deep into their eyes ;)

Oh, aye. It's great if you're into pensioners like. I'm nee Rooney ;)

What the fuck has happened to the wink btw?

You're the optician, you tell us :D

The stigma from internet dating has gone imo. Get amongst it would be my advice.

You're probably more reacting to the emotional impact of seeing the ex with someone else rather than that emotion being a reflection of how you feel about yourself at this moment in time. No need to feel as though you've fucked up, relationships end for many reasons. Its a tough moment (this morning) but life is truly a bittersweet experience, heartache can help you learn to value something in ways you had never done before.

Dr K. First off, I'm sure you're not a fuck-up. You've just seen your ex with her new fella and it's made you feel shite (btw...Morrisons?! wtf. Are you some sort of gyppo? Get to Sainsburys with you ffs.).

Also, there's fuck all wrong with having a small circle of close friends - I'm exactly the same, and we all know what a great bloke I am. And fwiw, you're clearly a sharp bloke with decent craic just from your postings on here.....whiiiiich leads me to the obvious conclusion (that everyone else has reached), that dating sites are the way to go. The stigma that used to be attached to them just doesn't exist anymore (unless it exists in your head, in which case you need to knock that on the head).

Dating site success story: my sister met a bloke on one, they got married last year, and she had a kid a week and a half ago. It's his btw.

So basically get signed up on match.com or something like that. If I'm being honest, I would wrestle with the decision myself, cos I'd be thinking "fuck, what if someone I know sees me on there" etc. But who gives a fuck. If someone I know sees me on there, they'd need to be signed up themself. I would be fighting them off with a shitty cyberstick if I signed up to one of these things, I'm sure.

Get signed up TONIGHT and get yourself out on some dates. It'll instantly dispel this shitty self-image you've developed for yourself.

Oh and no more Morrisons, eh? I'm serious about that. Sainsburys fanny >>>> Morrisons fanny btw.

Dr K. First off, I'm sure you're not a fuck-up. You've just seen your ex with her new fella and it's made you feel shite (btw...Morrisons?! wtf. Are you some sort of gyppo? Get to Sainsburys with you ffs.).

Also, there's fuck all wrong with having a small circle of close friends - I'm exactly the same, and we all know what a great bloke I am. And fwiw, you're clearly a sharp bloke with decent craic just from your postings on here.....whiiiiich leads me to the obvious conclusion (that everyone else has reached), that dating sites are the way to go. The stigma that used to be attached to them just doesn't exist anymore (unless it exists in your head, in which case you need to knock that on the head).

Dating site success story: my sister met a bloke on one, they got married last year, and she had a kid a week and a half ago. It's his btw.

So basically get signed up on match.com or something like that. If I'm being honest, I would wrestle with the decision myself, cos I'd be thinking "fuck, what if someone I know sees me on there" etc. But who gives a fuck. If someone I know sees me on there, they'd need to be signed up themself. I would be fighting them off with a shitty cyberstick if I signed up to one of these things, I'm sure.

Get signed up TONIGHT and get yourself out on some dates. It'll instantly dispel this shitty self-image you've developed for yourself.

Oh and no more Morrisons, eh? I'm serious about that. Sainsburys fanny >>>> Morrisons fanny btw.

Fuck match.com, get yourself on here and post pics later..

http://www.uniformdating.com

There's a gorgeous lass at work, must be 25, she just had her first bairn to a 40+ bloke she married a year or so ago, he was the first lad she met off a dating site. I thought it was all desparate old harpee's but apparently not.

There's a gorgeous lass at work, must be 25, she just had her first bairn to a 40+ bloke she married a year or so ago, he was the first lad she met off a dating site. I thought it was all desparate old harpee's but apparently not.

Weirdly a lot of students use it! :lol:

I'm feeling very down at the moment.

Me and me ex split earlier in the year after eight years together. I always thought we'd find a way to make things work and get back together, but heard recently that she had a new fella, and I've just seen them in Morrisons. It's brought home to me how lonely I'm feeling and what a massive fuck up I've made of my life. I'm naturally quite a shy, introverted person and although I have a small circle of really good friends, they're all either settled down or live away. I don't have any other real acquaintances. This makes it difficult for me to imagine meeting anyone, combined with the fact that I live in a backwater town in Teesside and at the age of 40 I feel too old to go clubbing. I've been out of circulation so long as far as dating is concerned I wouldn't know where to start.

Sorry for moaping, but I just felt like letting it out.

Serious and the usual piss-taking TT responses welcome.

Sad to hear that mate.

The world doesn't work how you imagined it works, you can see that now...

It might sound ludicrous to you at this moment and it would to me cause I've had some tough periods over the last couple of years (some of it documented on here), if someone

had said it back then, but this is actually A WONDERFUL OPPORTUNITY!!

It is a great chance to re-invent yourself and now you have time for introspection and the chance to become that person you really are (you can make changes to the real you).

What often happens in long relationships is that the essence and meaning of life gets tangled up and distorted, compromises are made and people get stuck in a comfort zone. What is happenning to you now is a second chance and believe me it REALLY IS although it might not seem like it. In 2009 I lost a lot of my business and money and all those 'friends' and so on...and it was compounded by being seperated from Mrs P and the bairn for 4 months...I had hit what I thought was the bottom...(But it isn't). It is a chance to gather up yourself and get a second wind...To be that person that you forgot you were and to remember those things you carry have meaning and knowledge and how to put them to new use.

Make a point of getting out and about (imagine my first year in Hamburg with no real friends - I have two or three good ones now)...But it was a long journey...But it is a journey you must make for the soul needs nourishing and the signs need following...Start saying yes to things and start to pay more attention to the real you...You know the one you left behind while all this relationship lark was going on....HE WILL SURPRISE YOU. He has been waiting for the call.

Good luck.

P