Newcastle Vrs Spurs

KeithJ

I love it when Shola does well. Dunno why really, but there's something likeable about him, and it's just extra mint when it's him that does the business.

Absolutely. He's a very frustrating player but seems like a great lad.

Agreed. He's our talisman in every way imaginable expect by ability.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obertan wasn't good, he makes the wrong decision in possession every time. If he was even moderately effective he would have produced something with the amount of possession he had today.

Not once did he take on his man - the guy has pace and he didn't use it. One thing about Jonas is that he does just that, and Obertan needs to be doing the same.

Another 'bolt from the blue' moment delivered by Shola.

Quality left-foot finish, as was the one at Anfield in the season closer of 03/04.

Looking at the bigger picture though, and reflecting on Pardew's current striking pecking order (where Sammi O isn't coming into calculation, despite performing at a superior level, compared to Shola & Loven, when given the chance), it's another random moment produced within another spell of non-performance. Going beyond the issue of favouring 'experience', which imo is Pardew's current criteria re- the striking line-up, and looking at it from a 'performance & trust' angle, Shola has just been given another stay of execution. However the collateral damage being the continued non-blooding of a very promising prospect, in the form of the younger Ameobi.

Pardew is playing a dangerous game on this tbh. There's a fine line between giving a lad (with bags of ability) a taste of the big-time before putting them on the back-burner & making them hungrier, and actually demotivating them (particularly when there's non-perfoming shite like the aforementioned ahead of them in the pecking order) where there progress at the club (to established 1st teamer) amounts to a limbo state, courtesy of lengthy stints in the reserve grade & eventual loan spells.

Year Zero, that's paying a little too much heed to the few moments of quality we've seen from Sam Ameobi. He scored that wonderful goal and has been dangerous another time when used off the bench, but he's also been wasteful off the bench once.All in all it's very limited minutes some coming against tired opposition where a player with running in his legs will naturally make inroads - how many times did we see Routledge terrorise opposing teams for a few minutes?

Year Zero, that's paying a little too much heed to the few moments of quality we've seen from Sam Ameobi. He scored that wonderful goal and has been dangerous another time when used off the bench, but he's also been wasteful off the bench once.All in all it's very limited minutes some coming against tired opposition where a player with running in his legs will naturally make inroads - how many times did we see Routledge terrorise opposing teams for a few minutes?

Routlege was lightweight, there was always going to be a question mark as to whether he could hurt the opposition during the early phases of the game, where there is more physicality and a more conscious effort to close down attacking space. It's what hampered his progress at Spurs, and that was part of the price of admission when we were looking for a basement bargain addition for the right flank, who could consistently step-up in a higher grade of competition.

Looking at his strengths/Sam (ie. where he has the attacking attributes - on the ball - and likes to play deeper with the workrate to match) it's the ideal opportunity/time to 'blood' him, to integrate him into the 1st team. I know he was only on loan at the time, but I thought Dalglish played a very conservative line with a then young & raw Saha (limited minutes, before judging that he wasn't worth the quoted fee) who displayed similar raw potential (ie. quick & strong on the ball, good ball striking/shooting ability). I'd rather blood 'raw potential' then stick with aging and 'proven shite', that's what the youth set-up is for.

Another 'bolt from the blue' moment delivered by Shola.

Quality left-foot finish, as was the one at Anfield in the season closer of 03/04.

Looking at the bigger picture though, and reflecting on Pardew's current striking pecking order (where Sammi O isn't coming into calculation, despite performing at a superior level, compared to Shola & Loven, when given the chance), it's another random moment produced within another spell of non-performance. Going beyond the issue of favouring 'experience', which imo is Pardew's current criteria re- the striking line-up, and looking at it from a 'performance & trust' angle, Shola has just been given another stay of execution. However the collateral damage being the continued non-blooding of a very promising prospect, in the form of the younger Ameobi.

Pardew is playing a dangerous game on this tbh. There's a fine line between giving a lad (with bags of ability) a taste of the big-time before putting them on the back-burner & making them hungrier, and actually demotivating them (particularly when there's non-perfoming shite like the aforementioned ahead of them in the pecking order) where there progress at the club (to established 1st teamer) amounts to a limbo state, courtesy of lengthy stints in the reserve grade & eventual loan spells.

That one bobbled about 20 times before hitting the inside of the post though, this one was as good if not better than my favourite Shola goal, against Chelsea when he rolled John Terry at wor end.

Is it deluded to say we're the 7th club in England at the moment? It's not what we want obviously, but it'll dee for now. I don't think it's deluded to say we are a better side than Aston Villa, Everton and much better than Stoke and their neanderthal football. It's amazing really it's only 19 months since we drew 2-2 with Ipswich in the Championship, but our first eleven is not even a million miles behind Tottenham's. They have bigger names but we are doing OK. Tiote was THE signing of the season last year £3m gave us more than VDV gave Tottenham imo, and I think we've done it again with Cabaye.

Is it deluded to say we're the 7th club in England at the moment? It's not what we want obviously, but it'll dee for now. I don't think it's deluded to say we are a better side than Aston Villa, Everton and much better than Stoke and their neanderthal football. It's amazing really it's only 19 months since we drew 2-2 with Ipswich in the Championship, but our first eleven is not even a million miles behind Tottenham's. They have bigger names but we are doing OK. Tiote was THE signing of the season last year £3m gave us more than VDV gave Tottenham imo, and I think we've done it again with Cabaye.

We can say that if we finish the season in 7th. You're only as good as your league position at the end of the season.

Season in season out Modric never really seem to do that much for them. Lot of dazzle in meaningless areas for me. Rarely seems to really dictate or change a game. I don't know if he's being played too deep due to VDV's goalscoring.

It says something that in most games imo Bale seems the most dangerous player and their CD's aren't anything to write home about. If Adebayor really gets in the zone this year he will make the difference - head and shoulders above the rest of their available strikeforce.

VDV and Bale is really mostly what they are about. The keeper is suspect as well.

It's also worth looking at against the usual list of priorities/challenges a promoted club faces. ie:

First season back: just make sure you stay up

Second season back: just make sure you stay up again (as you're no longer the 'surprise package' and all of the other teams have sussed out how you play).

Well we play differently to our first season, so we weren't going to get found out on that score.

Season in season out Modric never really seem to do that much for them. Lot of dazzle in meaningless areas for me. Rarely seems to really dictate or change a game. I don't know if he's being played too deep due to VDV's goalscoring.

It says something that in most games imo Bale seems the most dangerous player and their CD's aren't anything to write home about. If Adebayor really gets in the zone this year he will make the difference - head and shoulders above the rest of their available strikeforce.

VDV and Bale is really mostly what they are about. The keeper is suspect as well.

You see the Liverpool game? Modric murdered them.

Certainly don't think there's anything to fear beyond the top 3. That's not me saying we'll come 4th because I think 7th is probably the very limit of what we can achieve this season. I don't see how we'll cope come January though so 8-10th is probably more realistic. Our first XI looks the part but in two key areas in particular - central defence and central midfield - we have very little in the way of adequate cover.

RE : 7th position.

We'll probably find ourselves not to be as consistent as Stoke or Everton come season end. I think we're better than Villa though. We may look back at that game as 2 points dropped.

Our bench on Sunday was the strongest Ive seen it since SBR was in charge.

Shola, Ben Arfa, Santon, Lovenkrands, Elliott, Gosling & Marveaux.

Genuine options to change a game. Thats with Guthrie, Sammi, Fergie, Perch, Abeid and Smith not making the matchday squad.

Smith started league matches last year!

You see the Liverpool game? Modric murdered them.

He played well that game.

Adebayor was MOM for me like.

The way I look at it, I'll say straight away I don't and never have rated Pepe Reina. It baffles me how anyone can say he's the best keeper in the league, Given pisses him as do many others but.... of the next three teams who are above us Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham, hand on heart I think Krul, Coloccini, Santon, Tiote and Cabaye would all start for them and there's another 4 or 5 who potentially would.

I thiink the limited budget will finally catch up with Everton this season and they'll finish mid table. Honestly I'd be disappointed if we finished below them, though I'm probably being a little optimistic because of our current form.

Reina is overrated, but has improved in recent years - he was cack a few years back but protected by the fact that they had Gerrard (on top of his game) and Alonso shielding the defense and bossing possession.

Certainly don't think there's anything to fear beyond the top 3. That's not me saying we'll come 4th because I think 7th is probably the very limit of what we can achieve this season. I don't see how we'll cope come January though so 8-10th is probably more realistic. Our first XI looks the part but in two key areas in particular - central defence and central midfield - we have very little in the way of adequate cover.

Good precis fella.

All the more frustrating with hindsight we didn't push the boat out a bit more in the summer.

Also, Modric is utter class. He isn't a right midfielder.

Would ideally like to play where VDV is you reckon?

No, deeper I think.

Arteta used to play in that sort of position for Rangers.

edit He could probably play that position, but I think he looks a better player carrying the ball from deep with the play ahead of him.

Edited by Barney

YZ, am not your biggest fan but thats one of your worst posts on here. Shite from start to finish.

Evidently...... and given that you've placed that out into the public domain, it's appropriate for me to say that i couldn't give two shits.

Edited by Year Zero

Routlege was lightweight, there was always going to be a question mark as to whether he could hurt the opposition during the early phases of the game, where there is more physicality and a more conscious effort to close down attacking space. It's what hampered his progress at Spurs, and that was part of the price of admission when we were looking for a basement bargain addition for the right flank, who could consistently step-up in a higher grade of competition.

Looking at his strengths/Sam (ie. where he has the attacking attributes - on the ball - and likes to play deeper with the workrate to match) it's the ideal opportunity/time to 'blood' him, to integrate him into the 1st team. I know he was only on loan at the time, but I thought Dalglish played a very conservative line with a then young & raw Saha (limited minutes, before judging that he wasn't worth the quoted fee) who displayed similar raw potential (ie. quick & strong on the ball, good ball striking/shooting ability). I'd rather blood 'raw potential' then stick with aging and 'proven shite', that's what the youth set-up is for.

Pretty sure Sammy wasn't fit/was injured for the Spurs match.

Decided to give him an extra couple of days to get fit which meant he could play for the reserves last night.