Newcastle Vrs Spurs

KeithJ

Another 'bolt from the blue' moment delivered by Shola.

Quality left-foot finish, as was the one at Anfield in the season closer of 03/04.

Looking at the bigger picture though, and reflecting on Pardew's current striking pecking order (where Sammi O isn't coming into calculation, despite performing at a superior level, compared to Shola & Loven, when given the chance), it's another random moment produced within another spell of non-performance. Going beyond the issue of favouring 'experience', which imo is Pardew's current criteria re- the striking line-up, and looking at it from a 'performance & trust' angle, Shola has just been given another stay of execution. However the collateral damage being the continued non-blooding of a very promising prospect, in the form of the younger Ameobi.

Pardew is playing a dangerous game on this tbh. There's a fine line between giving a lad (with bags of ability) a taste of the big-time before putting them on the back-burner & making them hungrier, and actually demotivating them (particularly when there's non-perfoming shite like the aforementioned ahead of them in the pecking order) where there progress at the club (to established 1st teamer) amounts to a limbo state, courtesy of lengthy stints in the reserve grade & eventual loan spells.

That one bobbled about 20 times before hitting the inside of the post though, this one was as good if not better than my favourite Shola goal, against Chelsea when he rolled John Terry at wor end.

His movement in the build-up, coupled with the pressure situation of the day, was an indicator there was something there/to build on. As i've always maintained he's been a poor student of the game, when he has some great exponents of 'box play' to learn from over the years.

No doubt we'll be able to reflect on our favourite Shola Moments, as few & far between as they have been, when the testimonial hit-out comes around.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Year Zero, that's paying a little too much heed to the few moments of quality we've seen from Sam Ameobi. He scored that wonderful goal and has been dangerous another time when used off the bench, but he's also been wasteful off the bench once.All in all it's very limited minutes some coming against tired opposition where a player with running in his legs will naturally make inroads - how many times did we see Routledge terrorise opposing teams for a few minutes?

Routlege was lightweight, there was always going to be a question mark as to whether he could hurt the opposition during the early phases of the game, where there is more physicality and a more conscious effort to close down attacking space. It's what hampered his progress at Spurs, and that was part of the price of admission when we were looking for a basement bargain addition for the right flank, who could consistently step-up in a higher grade of competition.

Looking at his strengths/Sam (ie. where he has the attacking attributes - on the ball - and likes to play deeper with the workrate to match) it's the ideal opportunity/time to 'blood' him, to integrate him into the 1st team. I know he was only on loan at the time, but I thought Dalglish played a very conservative line with a then young & raw Saha (limited minutes, before judging that he wasn't worth the quoted fee) who displayed similar raw potential (ie. quick & strong on the ball, good ball striking/shooting ability). I'd rather blood 'raw potential' then stick with aging and 'proven shite', that's what the youth set-up is for.

Pretty sure Sammy wasn't fit/was injured for the Spurs match.

Decided to give him an extra couple of days to get fit which meant he could play for the reserves last night.

So i take it, purely on face value, there has also been a fitness doubt (prior to the Spurs match, by a couple of hit-outs) when Shola has been Pardew's preferred '2nd half impact sub'. For the sake of blooding him, he should've been the favoured striking option (over Loven at least) in our most recent cup tie. The club sneaking deep through a cup draw, seems to be Pardew's best shot at winning anything under the current regime, hence he is leaning towards a more experienced first eleven.

Edited by Year Zero

Do you actually talk like that in real life btw?

I thought that. It's like he's got a piece of A Level English coursework and is looking for the most dynamic one liners he can find using dictionaries and various other sources.

Pissed in the Trent but loving you all xxx

Did you see me at the match mate? I must've kissed everyone within a 20 feet radius so I might've kissed yee when we equalised. How's N-O? Even the Trent Posse divvint drink there nuw mate.

Gladys :lol:

Gladys Taxi's I'm gonna buy you a taxi firm if I win Euromillions on Friday by the way CT and call it that. I'll buy Boldon Taxi's and that other one merge them just for you.

Did you see me at the match mate? I must've kissed everyone within a 20 feet radius so I might've kissed yee when we equalised. How's N-O? Even the Trent Posse divvint drink there nuw mate.

No I haven't seen you there yet and I can assure you if you'd kissed me you would remember ;-) tbh the daughter keeps wanting to set off earlier each week so I'm turning up less sober each game.

Ended up at the Trent ad we originally headed to the strawberry first to watch the Mackems and then realised after about 15 mins that I couldn't give two shits about them and was more interested in enjoying the pre match build up. As we were already that close, it seemed the logical choice being close to the Leazes. (strange boozer though and seems a bit like a hippies retreat).

Newcastle online seems canny so far as there always seems a good range of views on all subjects. The general chat is quite good too, particularly the embarrassing sex thread!

Totally different sort of forum to here though but each has it's own charm. Nice to still see some of the canny posters on both sites.

The one big difference is the lack of the multi-post-wars which is nice.

Don't post as often ad here because someones usually posted the same opinion which is a bit of a novelty after three years on here.

Just a shame I left as all my predictions of Ashley getting it right, Pardew being good, Carr being excellent, Krul being fantastic, Cabaye / rob Lee etc etc came good ;-)

Nice to see Chez taking on the captaincy with such vigour.

Gladys

Gladys Taxi's I'm gonna buy you a taxi firm if I win Euromillions on Friday by the way CT and call it that. I'll buy Boldon Taxi's and that other one merge them just for you.

Fingers crossed then!

No I haven't seen you there yet and I can assure you if you'd kissed me you would remember ;-) tbh the daughter keeps wanting to set off earlier each week so I'm turning up less sober each game.

Ended up at the Trent ad we originally headed to the strawberry first to watch the Mackems and then realised after about 15 mins that I couldn't give two shits about them and was more interested in enjoying the pre match build up. As we were already that close, it seemed the logical choice being close to the Leazes. (strange boozer though and seems a bit like a hippies retreat).

Newcastle online seems canny so far as there always seems a good range of views on all subjects. The general chat is quite good too, particularly the embarrassing sex thread!

Totally different sort of forum to here though but each has it's own charm. Nice to still see some of the canny posters on both sites.

Don't post as often ad here because someones usually posted the same opinion which is a bit of a novelty after three years on here.

Just a shame I left as all my predictions of Ashley getting it right, Pardew being good, Carr being excellent, Krul being fantastic, Cabaye / rob Lee etc etc came good ;-)

Aye because it's policed like 1920's CCCP. A lot more democracy on here. Of those points above you, the only one I didn't agree with was Ashley getting it right, he's done it by hook or crook, and he's still a cunt charging people £36 when they're on the dole for the cheapest tickets against less than top class opposition.

Edited by McFaul

Only one official prediction right so far...

Christmas Tree

29/05/11 - Spurs are finished. They are on the way down with no CL money. They'll finish below us next season.

30/05/11 - Barton wont play for us again Barton played against Arsenal on the opening day.

04/07/11 - Joey Barton to be Captain Coloccini announced 08/07

04/07/11 - There will be lots of transfer activity this week. Nobody was signed.

17/08/11 - CT denies predicting the above. He predicts HF could prove him wrong. HF proved him wrong the same day

Aye because it's policed like 1920's CCCP. A lot more democracy on here. Of those points above you, the only one I didn't agree with was Ashley getting it right, he's done it by hook or crook, and he's still a cunt charging people £36 when they're on the dole for the cheapest tickets against less than top class opposition.

our I.T nerd is better and all

Tatatalk works on Newcastle Online ;-) (sorry)

What he says:

What he means:

I wanna go home

I wanna go home

N-O's a shithole,

I wanna go home.

I'd put the wink smiley here but it looks really shit so let's just say I'm winking.

our I.T nerd is better and all

Tatatalk works on Newcastle Online ;-) (sorry)

Works on here too, tapatalk has nothing to do with either nerd unfort, it's a 3rd party plugin that's closed source (afaik), so I can't fix the tapatalk bugs for any forum anywhere even if I wanted to, purely on their end. Not wise to rely on something like that anyway (which is why we don't),

if tapatalk decides not to support the forum, or takes ages to modify it's plugin after your forum gets updated you're stuck if there is problems.

They're awfully slow at fixing any bugs, the plugin for ip board hasn't been updated since September, they're actually at least two releases behind now.

Our mobile skin is better than tapatalk for what its worth anyway (or so i'm told), goto toontastic from your phone and it should kick in automatically.

Here at toontastic we don't make people spend to use it on their phones

Aye as I said off forum you've done a canny job, however the tapatalk app is very good and personally I find the black writing on White on tapatalk much clearer.

On tapatalk on N/O it takes you to the last unread post on a thread. On here it takes you to page 1 of a thread.

Just takes all the fannying on out of it.

maybe you just haven't bolted it on right :-)