Souness in new plea to Shearer

Scottish Mag

It is arguable that Graeme Souness's most striking achievement in his 16 months as manager of Newcastle United was persuading Alan Shearer to postpone his retirement and play on this season. Now Souness has hinted he may repeat the trick for 2006-07.

"Last year I said I do not see a player on the training ground who is ready to pack in and there's nothing that's happened in the last six months to suggest that," said Souness yesterday. "We'll see what happens over the next six months but I certainly wouldn't close any doors. It would have to come from him but, if he's still playing like he has in recent weeks, he still has an enormous part to play."

Shearer, 35 and one goal away from equalling Jackie Milburn's club record of 200, has appeared revitalised in the last two weeks, a development that has occurred after a hernia operation. He was magnificent in the 1-0 defeat of Arsenal and scored in Newcastle's 4-2 victory at West Ham United on Saturday.

Souness said: "Since his operation he looks to have found another yard from somewhere and that, coupled with the fact he's playing with Michael [Owen], he really enjoys that. They have an understanding which goes back to when they played together with England. Only he [shearer] knows how much that [hernia] was holding him back; certainly it was having an effect on him, because it does."

Shearer is yet to respond but is expected to retire in May and take up a role as a BBC pundit. But Souness's charm offensive has started. "In my opinion Alan Shearer is the greatest English centre-forward there has ever been - without a shadow of a doubt," he added.

"If you were a player playing with him I think you would realise how good he is. You can bounce the ball off him all day. He makes average balls into great balls. He is the scorer of every type of goal going. He plays the centre-forward role in the hardest fashion where he has generally got his back against where he wants to be going and against men who are generally a lot bigger than him. He is not the biggest and people would be surprised if they met him in the street at the size of him."

Shearer and Newcastle go to Liverpool on Boxing Day, the first of four Premiership matches in eight days - a schedule that Souness yesterday criticised. "Whoever makes the decisions to play the games as close together as they are does not understand football," he said.

Take it his intended target isn't gonna happen then? :lol:

I pray to god Shearer doesn't go on another year - his best days are behind him and we need to look to the future, not the past...

What we don't need is to see Shearer become a pathetic shadow of what he was. Before Owen came back into the team that was what he was looking like becoming. He has vastly improved the last couple of games but he's not capable of playing like that over a full season anymore.

Aside from that I do think that the club may benefit now from Shearer stepping away for a while.

My biggest fear about Shearer prolonging his career was that he missed the right time to bow out and losing respect. That's why I wasn't exstatic about him delaying his retirement last year. Fans have already started turning against him and I feel the only thing he can offer these days is his commitment as against Arsenal. Footballwise he probably rather becomes a liability (well not as long as the likes of Ameobi and Chopra are the alternatives).

I'd wished for him that he had got the chance last season to bow out with a cup win.

Anyway, I think Souness is just fearing that Shearer could be lined up as his replacement... :lol:

My biggest fear about Shearer prolonging his career was that he missed the right time to bow out and losing respect. That's why I wasn't exstatic about him delaying his retirement last year. Fans have already started turning against him and I feel the only thing he can offer these days is his commitment as against Arsenal. Footballwise he probably rather becomes a liability (well not as long as the likes of Ameobi and Chopra are the alternatives).

I'd wished for him that he had got the chance last season to bow out with a cup win.

Anyway, I think Souness is just fearing that Shearer could be lined up as his replacement... :lol:

70996[/snapback]

You put a wink on your last comment, but that is Souness's motive I reckon. Personally, I think overall we have benefitted from Shearer's contribution this year, especially given his replacements, and he will always be a hero of mine. However, the summer is certainly the time to hang up his boots; a Shearer one year older can only hold back the team.

Edited by Renton

70996[/snapback]

Spot on post there my Jorman friend - have a good Christmas 'n aall

Edited by Rob W

My theory is along the lines of Isegrim's. I reckon Souness secretly hates Shearer and would love it if the crowd turned on him, it's the only reason I could think of that he reckons Shearer could play on another year at this level. Big Al, don't listen to the twat, take a poll from the crowd (soopafans votes count as two) and you'll find we all think you've had enough.

I'd like him to stay on at the club as a coach though, the coaching can't get any worse can it.

He's better than the like of Graham Le Puff and Tony Adams family.

Him and Hansen will be the new pairing on MOTD i reckon.

He just needs to wear some looser pants, I remember once he had a suit on and you could've taken a remarkably accurate plaster cast of his tackle they were that tight. Think he had a semi-on form working with Lineker tbh

SMOOTH OPERATOR IN NEW PLEA TO SHEARER:

Don't listen to the jock twat, you retire rep intact and do your telly work.

71029[/snapback]

Argggggh! Please God no!

71040[/snapback]

Its ok, he'll wear those tight trousers again that were so popular.

SMOOTH OPERATOR IN NEW PLEA TO SHEARER:

Don't listen to the jock twat, you retire rep intact and do your telly work.

71029[/snapback]

Argggggh! Please God no!

71040[/snapback]

Its ok, he'll wear those tight trousers again that were so popular.

71058[/snapback]

Another one for your wank bank then? :lol:

He just needs to wear some looser pants, I remember once he had a suit on and you could've taken a remarkably accurate plaster cast of his tackle they were that tight. Think he had a semi-on form working with Lineker tbh

71054[/snapback]

quoted for truth tbh

Guest CrimsonFault

He's been playing gash this season - one good game this season at home to Arsenal and suddenly he should be staying on for ANOTHER season.

About time Souness woke up and realised that Shearer needs to hang his boots up - egt a new striker in to partner Owen and forget about Shearer - thanks for the memories; but your time has come pal.

He's better than the like of Graham Le Puff and Tony Adams family.

Him and Hansen will be the new pairing on MOTD i reckon.

71054[/snapback]

Graham Le Puff is irritating but Adams is just dreadful tbh. They got rid of old red nose Schmiechel (sp) only to replace him with someone ten times worse!

Loads of useless, pointless pundits on tele at the moment. Schmeichel is especailly piss poor, and the only thing I hate about England games on the BBC is that they wheel out Ian Fucking Wright. Before anyone starts, don't give me this 'he wears his heart on his sleeve and is honest' bollocks. He talks a load of shite and was and always will be a grade A twat.

Loads of useless, pointless pundits on tele at the moment. Schmeichel is especailly piss poor, and the only thing I hate about England games on the BBC is that they wheel out Ian Fucking Wright. Before anyone starts, don't give me this 'he wears his heart on his sleeve and is honest' bollocks. He talks a load of shite and was and always will be a grade A twat.

71089[/snapback]

Ian Wright - single-handedly responsible for why the match analysis can no longer take place in the stadium itself - anyone who saw England v Argentina in 1998 will know why....

Agree, he's a total twat!