sammynb

Was 8. Had my first proper holiday abroad in Estartit (Spain) and remember watching the England v Argentina World Cup game there. :(

I was 7 and also went to Estartit :ninja:

Good year from what I can remember, got properly into football watching France 98, started 'playing out' with my mates from my street, got my first season ticket + made my first holy community, not like I go to church now like

Spooky! :ninja:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 years old.

January - moved into my first house ( ie not with parents or in the nurses home of a hospital)

Feb - got engaged

March - Qualified as a nurse

Rest of the year - probably planning the wedding and shitting myself at being qualified.

living in Sunderland, FFS

married

at Uni

playing Goldeneye

driving an old Volvo

had a pet greyhound

Smoking tonnes of black hash

Going to the various psychedelic parties in Toon/London and one in a Chinese supermarket in Paris :lol:

Midway through high school. I turned 13 that year. I don't recall anything particularly eventful for most of it, and I think that was the year my granda died a few weeks before Christmas.

1 year out of uni, universally recognised as the coolest thing ever to happen to the world of accountancy.

Are you in practice or industry? Only asking cos I've got my aca finals in 4 weeks, got me thinking about what to do after my training contract is over.

And to be on topic, started second year at secondary school. Was goldeneye out then? If so, that's what I was doing.

I was in practice then (qualified with PwC), and moved into industry. It totally depends on the individual tbh, but I would say that if you're remotely happy in practice, then try and stay there at least for a bit to see what you think.

The problem with industry is that it's so hit and miss. You can spend years bouncing from company to company trying to find something that you like.

Was that pretty much straight audit you were doing with PwC? Do they do ACA at Pwc? I think I really need to throw myself in a bit over the next year, once (hopefully) my exams are out of the way. Our office has just changed massively in the last 2 months, so hopefully it will improve a bit, atmosphere and work wise. Take your point though about industry, and at the moment I am slightly feeling that I'm happy to have a job really.

Was 25, living in London (West Hampstead), working at a university doing research. Some funny stories from that time, used to get up to all sorts.

Went to a conference in Galway during the world cup, did a presentation in front of 200+ people for the first time which was shit your pants time. Watched the word cup final there which was canny, its a beautiful place. I had organised to go to Dublin after to meet a mate from Newcastle who was living there, before everyone had mobile phones so he was meeting us off the train. I was in a pub with some old blokes and one thing led to another, missed the train. With my mate not at home, i got Galway station to call Dublin and make and announcement. With no way of knowing he was going to meet me on the next train, off i pop. Get to Dublin and there is an announcement for me over the tannoy. I go to the office and lasses were all 'ahh we've found ye, yer mans in the pub next door'. Thats how we managed before mobiles kids. The next 3 days were utterly insane, the flat was a squat (but lovely) and we were VIP'ing round all the clubs. After one night, we get back at 5/6am and there is a commotion from the squatmate's bedroom and some lass screaming and laughing. Me and me mate are switching the decks on settling into an after hours when this 6 ft 4 monster Irishman wanders into the room buck naked with a massive hard on going 'will ye look at, will ye, its been like that all night'. Again, shit myself. GBH or something, had about 10 doses.

There is an epic story about a rave in a dis-used supermarket in Leytonstone (eurgh) but its too long to type out.

1 year out of uni, universally recognised as the coolest thing ever to happen to the world of accountancy.

Are you in practice or industry? Only asking cos I've got my aca finals in 4 weeks, got me thinking about what to do after my training contract is over.

And to be on topic, started second year at secondary school. Was goldeneye out then? If so, that's what I was doing.

I was in practice then (qualified with PwC), and moved into industry. It totally depends on the individual tbh, but I would say that if you're remotely happy in practice, then try and stay there at least for a bit to see what you think.

The problem with industry is that it's so hit and miss. You can spend years bouncing from company to company trying to find something that you like.

Was that pretty much straight audit you were doing with PwC? Do they do ACA at Pwc? I think I really need to throw myself in a bit over the next year, once (hopefully) my exams are out of the way. Our office has just changed massively in the last 2 months, so hopefully it will improve a bit, atmosphere and work wise. Take your point though about industry, and at the moment I am slightly feeling that I'm happy to have a job really.

Aye it was audit. Did 3 years at Newcastle, qualified and then transferred to an office in the US for 3 years. Audit the whole time. I wouldn't have lasted that long but for the transfer.

Remember England v Argentina and watching Grimsby win twice at Wembley on TV (LDV Vans Trophy and what is now the League 1 playoff final). Been to a play off final and a Football League Trophy in person since, lost both :glare:

Probably the year I made the most as a contractor but didn't save a penny of it.

Went to Belgrade as well as a couple of other places on holiday.

Cup final of course.

Also went out with a Goddess for a couple of months - I've resigned myself to the fact I'll never do better.

in 1998 i was at school if i remember correctly i do remember getten nocked out on the playground but cant think of when it happend i hit my head on a concrete block

It all suddenly becomes clear.

Or not so clear in deader's case!

in 1998 i was at school if i remember correctly i do remember getten nocked out on the playground but cant think of when it happend i hit my head on a concrete block

"...and then I woke up and here I was in 2011 on the internet!"

"...and then I woke up and here I was in 2011 on the internet!"

heh heh cunterhead lol

I was 13. I remember very windy and wet holidays to Wales and Ireland (we drove through Omagh on the way home, about a week before the bomb went off), and going mental as Owen scored that wonderful goal to put England 2-1 up against the Argies at France 98. That was also the year he scored a hat-trick at SJP in the game before Gullit took over. I would have sold my gran to help fund the toon's purchase of him back then, funny to think that he eventually signed for us and turned out to be a disappointment.