Coloccini - “I want to stay – and I want to get Newcastle back into Europe.”

Tooj

Guest CabayeAye

As good as Woodgate was, Colo has been so consistently good for so long, he's just a cut above any other CB we've had in my memory.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woodgate might have been a stronger defender when the rest of the team wasnt defending as a unit but Colocinni is the better footballer imo. Colocinni offers us a lot in attack too, the goal against Stoke (also Blackburn, long pass to the left flank to Best who crossed?) came from him stepping up, and providing a key pass in an attacking move.

Also saw a key stat about the weekend, one of the Everton defenders hit 27 long balls whereas Colo hit 7. His comfort level on the ball and close control is what makes him the player he is.

Woodgate was an excellent footballer too mind, probably underrated. They'd have made some partnership (if Woodgate was fit for long enough).

Indeed, i think Colocinni is better with the ball at his feet and has more natural technique but Woodgate was probably a better overall defender. 'Was'.

Guest CabayeAye

As good as Woodgate was, Colo has been so consistently good for so long, he's just a cut above any other CB we've had in my memory.

Colo's good, but he's no Kevin Scott.

Peter Ramage was better.

• 2 months later...

See Coloccinis agent was over last week and a new contract couldnt be agreed....greedy bastard / tight fisted Ashley (delete as appropriate).

Doors not closed yet but looks like its heading down to the summer. :(

:(

Where you see that CT?

See Coloccinis agent was over last week and a new contract couldnt be agreed....greedy bastard / tight fisted Ashley (delete as appropriate).

Doors not closed yet but looks like its heading down to the summer. :(

:(

Where you see that CT?

Mark Douglas was writing about it in the Journal or Sunday Sun a few days ago. Forget to mention it at the time.

Coloccini playing hard ball over new contract

NEWCASTLE United are set for more hard bargaining with Fabricio Coloccini after contract talks this week didn’t reach a resolution.

As revealed in the Sunday Sun a fortnight ago Coloccini’s South American-based agent was in Toon this week to talk terms over a deal that will keep him at St James’ Park until 2017.

United had been hoping for a swift resolution to the impasse over the skipper’s deal but Pardew says that more talks are required.

He remains “relaxed” about the situation and insists there has NOT been a setback, but Newcastle’s attempts to tie the player down for the rest of his career will have to wait.

“We’ve had further discussions and I think there are further discussions to be had on that,” Pardew said. “I’m relaxed about it.”

Coloccini’s contract is now the No 1 priority for the club following the closure of the transfer window – along with new deals for Danny Guthrie and Danny Simpson.

A wage bump and re-negotiation with Demba Ba, who has a clause in his contract that will allow sides to take him for a knock down fee in the summer – will have to wait.

The Sunday Sun understands that others being lined up for new deals include Tim Krul and Yohan Cabaye.

“We have a squad doing very well and one or two players are coming to the end of their contracts and I think those we need to address,” Pardew said.

“If there are players who have done exceptionally well and have to be realigned if you like, that might need to wait until the summer.”

Getting him signed on an improved contract to see out his days with us would be no less than he deserves and a massive statement of intent from the chairman.

What's the bets he flogs him in the summer instead? A player approaching 30 on a massive deal doesn't fit with recent policy does it. Shame because he's a class act, our captain and he's earned it. Hope I'm wrong but I can't see him splashing the cash on an extension.

Don't worry about it, happenes all the time.

He'll be 31 when his contract ends anyway, would be bad but wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he left on a free at that age. I fucking love him like, class player but we probably need to splash out on his sucsessor next summer anyway, ideally having the option to bed them in, playing along side him.

Guest CabayeAye

Don't worry about it, happenes all the time.

He'll be 31 when his contract ends anyway, would be bad but wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he left on a free at that age. I fucking love him like, class player but we probably need to splash out on his sucsessor next summer anyway, ideally having the option to bed them in, playing along side him.

He's an absolute athlete though. I can see him playing at the highest level to 35+.

There was some talk about him being offered a 4 or 5 year deal. Presumably this would tie in with what manc-mag alluded to, i.e. we won't break our wage structure so we won't match what he's on but we'll give him, say, £45-50k over a long period to (sort of) get around that.

Edited by alex

I think the deal will have bonuses included, clean sheets, appearance and league position etc which could make it more lucrative.

As much as I rate Colo they need to be prepared to replace him should he decide not to sign and try to run down his contract like Enrique did. Just to make it clear I want him to stay

He'd be almost impossible to replace like which they need to think about. I think they do really rate him like.

Plus, we need at least one centre-half come the summer as it is. Ideally I'd want us to sign someone to challenge/usurp Taylor and someone up and coming to replace Williamson who I rate less and less the more I see him. That's assuming Colo doesn't leave.

He'd be almost impossible to replace like which they need to think about. I think they do really rate him like.

Plus, we need at least one centre-half come the summer as it is. Ideally I'd want us to sign someone to challenge/usurp Taylor and someone up and coming to replace Williamson who I rate less and less the more I see him. That's assuming Colo doesn't leave.

I agree and the names being mentioned would be good additions to Colo. I rate Taylor and he was looking good when he got injured but he needs some competition. Colo has a knack in getting the best out his partner and I think he's helping Williamson a lot

Why would Man U or Real etc invest massive money in a 30 year old? He'll go if on a free but its not a development move for anyone. The trend in recent transfer activity suggests that more focus will be put on youth and development across all clubs.