Coloccini - “I want to stay – and I want to get Newcastle back into Europe.”

Tooj

Why would Man U or Real etc invest massive money in a 30 year old? He'll go if on a free but its not a development move for anyone. The trend in recent transfer activity suggests that more focus will be put on youth and development across all clubs.

Wouldn't be daft money though, especially by their standards. Hypothetically, he gets wind of the fact Man Utd fancy buying him and he's 30 with 12 months left on his contract so they offer a pretty low fee. We either accept it or lose him for nowt 12 months later. Possibly anyway. I know there's wages too but I doubt they'd have to go daft to trump what we're offering for a new deal (rather than what he is currently on).

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this thread was bumped for how he was at fault for Keane's goal on Sunday.

He's a class act the majority of the time so I hope he stays, finding a partner for him is going to be tough as he's neither great in the air or quick so he's going to need someone next to him that has both ideally.

His reading of the game is top class though, my favourite centre half ever here.

Why would Man U or Real etc invest massive money in a 30 year old? He'll go if on a free but its not a development move for anyone. The trend in recent transfer activity suggests that more focus will be put on youth and development across all clubs.

Because he is a class act. All they have to do is pay his wages for a few years. I'd very surprised if there are any better free transfers around in the Summer.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Because he is a class act. All they have to do is pay his wages for a few years. I'd very surprised if there are any better free transfers around in the Summer.

He's got 18 months left btw.

I'm pretty sure he's not going to sign a new deal here. This is where Ashley's "brave new world" that a lot of folks on here (mosrtly me included, certainly when I'm watching the team) are enjoying this season falls down. Why not reward Colocini for his efforts since relegation? Make him an offer he cant turn down to stay? If anyone thinks Graham Carr is going to keep uncovering gems for next to fuck all (and pay them comparative peanuts) that may "take us to the next level" then I'd suggest a lie down in a darkened room for them. That will work at Lyon in France as I've mentioned before, but it's unlikely to work long term in this country where wages are a lot higher. He deserves top wack if you ask me, but we won't pay it.

I'm pretty sure he's not going to sign a new deal here. This is where Ashley's "brave new world" that a lot of folks on here (mosrtly me included, certainly when I'm watching the team) are enjoying this season falls down. Why not reward Colocini for his efforts since relegation? Make him an offer he cant turn down to stay? If anyone thinks Graham Carr is going to keep uncovering gems for next to fuck all (and pay them comparative peanuts) that may "take us to the next level" then I'd suggest a lie down in a darkened room for them. That will work at Lyon in France as I've mentioned before, but it's unlikely to work long term in this country where wages are a lot higher. He deserves top wack if you ask me, but we won't pay it.

The reason we won't make him 'an offer he can't turn down' is because once you offer one player it then everyone else will expect the same when it comes to negotiating a new contract or signing a new player, I can remember when Taylor was negotiating a new deal and his dad was in the press saying there was players nowhere near the first team on a lot more money than him which goes some way to backing up that point.

If we give Coloccini a huge contract then what do we offer Ba? Or Tiote? Cabaye? etc when there's run down because they will know what Colo is on and want parity with that and the club has done the hard work of cutting it in the first place to let it get out of control.

The way to combat that is offer more incentive based contracts, like Spurs do.

He's got 18 months left btw.

Meaning bids of around 7m this summer if you look at what Cahill went for with 6 months left on his contract, which is why i'm not convinced it makes sense. It would take a fairly big fee anyway for a player about to turn 31. It might make sense for one of the biggest clubs but its not a clear value proposition for me.

It was obvious that he was never going to be signing. Whenever a player does sign it's usually unexpectedly announced. Every time they tell us they're planning it they never sign :lol: And the shit about being offered a 5 year contract... we're supposed to just believe that they're going against the precedent that they've already set with Barton and Nolan last year, both of those were younger than Colo too I think. I reckon they'll be offering him a wank deal that'll leave him in no man's land when he's 33 and that's why he's reluctant to sign.

I really want him to stay but for me the "club" is more important than one man, no matter whether that is Carrol, Nolan, Barton, Enrique or Coloccini.

Hopefully a compromise can be reached, but if not I trust the club to have one or two continental chaps ready to come in.

Great idea, let's offer Colo £100k p/w then what if BA,Cabaye,Tiote etc want the same? It sets a precedence and can easily run out of control. I think he should be right at the top of our basic pay scale with enhancements for clean sheets and appearances.

Great idea, let's offer Colo £100k p/w then what if BA,Cabaye,Tiote etc want the same? It sets a precedence and can easily run out of control. I think he should be right at the top of our basic pay scale with enhancements for clean sheets and appearances.

It takes 11 players to keep a clean sheet. That sort of bonus has never worked becuase of the team ethic of football. Same for goals for a striker.

Am only suggesting it for Colo as he's 29 and vital to the team. The rest will be sold to clubs who will pay them what they are worth. Thats what we're doing and where we're going as a club. We'll see what happens, if we can push on as Spurs have (this season).

yea but coloccini you dont realise who our owner is fat git ashley and if he gets a tempting offer of say 50 million or more your out the door cause he will back you into the corner

Colo won't play for Argentina as that we, unfortunately aren't a big enough club for him to attract the attention of Argentina selectors.

You'd think that playing in arguably the most physical league in the world would get him a call up but no. If he was playing for one clubs in the Northwest or one of the big London clubs he'd be first choice no doubt.

• 2 months later...

Wonder if he still remembers this?

http://www.thenorthe...port/4726510.Co occini_makes_a_bold_____or_is_it_bald_____statement/?ref=mr

His defending can be every bit as hair-raising as his appearance, but Fabricio Coloccini has developed into something of a cult hero at Newcastle United. Chief Sports Writer Scott Wilson met the Argentinian to discuss responsibility, relegation and ringlets.

GIVEN that his failure to converse freely in English prevents him from conducting many interviews, there are so many questions you want to ask of Fabricio Coloccini when you finally get an opportunity to sit next to him.

What does a £10m defender feel about playing in the Championship? How has a flamboyant South American adapted to life on the banks of the Tyne? What is it like to work with the legendary Diego Maradona?

For a minute or two, though, all of that can wait.

First and foremost, it’s time to talk about hair.

Half Brian May from Queen, half Sideshow Bob from The Simpsons, Coloccini boasts the most extravagant haircut in English football. It’s long, it’s blonde and it’s curly, but incredibly it might also one day disappear.

Not to celebrate Newcastle’s return to the Premier League – in Coloccini’s eyes, that is a minimum requirement this season. But if the Magpies were to one day return to the Champions League, the perm would perish. A place in the top four, and the most famous curls in football would hit the floor.

“People talk about my hair a lot,” said Coloccini, who combines speaking through an interpreter with sporadic attempts at conversational English. “Would I shave it off if we got promoted? No, no, but maybe one day.

“We should go up, so that is not something I will consider. But I would happily shave it all off if we can qualify for the Champions League.

“It seems a very long way off, when you look where we are, but Newcastle are a club with the potential to play in the Champions League again. It would be fantastic, and if it happens, I’ll cut my hair off to celebrate.”

A bald Coloccini would be every bit as recognisable as the hirsute version that joined Newcastle from Deportivo La Coruna in August 2008.

Having spent seven years playing in Spain, the 27-yearold suffered an inevitable culture shock when he swapped the warmth of northern Spain for the windswept climes of North- East England, but despite the traumas of last season’s relegation, he has learned to love his new home.

He likes the warmth of the greetings he receives whenever he walks along Newcastle’s Quayside. He likes the passion that courses through the city at 3 o’clock on a Saturday afternoon. And while he still detests the rain, he has even learned to tolerate the extremes of the North-East climate.

“The best thing about playing for Newcastle United is the fans,” said Coloccini. “I get recognised in the street and get a lot of respect. It makes me very proud to represent them.

“It was not the same in Spain or Argentina. I like the attitude of the people in Newcastle, their attitude to life and the football team.

“The people have taken me to their heart and that means so much. To come here and be treated so well by people, I didn’t know what to expect, but this is a special place and it means a lot to me. I have a lot of affection for the place, despite the weather.”

That affection helped persuade Coloccini to remain at St James’ Park, despite last season’s drop into the Championship.

A number of Spanish clubs expressed an interest in the centre-half in the summer, but a sense of responsibility for May’s relegation persuaded him to rebuff their advances and commit to a season in English football’s second tier.

“I have a strong bond with the fans and I feel as though I owe them something,” said Coloccini. “I stayed at Newcastle because it is a big club and a famous club. It is just an accident that we have gone down.

“Newcastle should not be in the Championship and I want to help get the team back into the Premier League. That was all I thought about in the summer.

“To get Newcastle back up would be a big achievement.

It wouldn’t be the greatest achievement of my career because we shouldn’t be in the Championship anyway, but it would give me a lot of satisfaction to win promotion with this team.

“It is so important for the city because I know how big a part of the city the football team is.

“We recognise that and want to make up for getting relegated.”

That process continues with this afternoon’s home game against Peterborough, and having survived a bruising physical encounter with Sheffield United striker Darius Henderson on Monday night, 32-time Argentine international Coloccini insists he is relishing the crash, bang and wallop of life outside the Premier League.

“As a defender, you take a lot of kicks and elbows and are constantly in a battle with the centre-forward,” he said.

“The referee doesn’t see a lot of it and it is even tougher in the Championship.

“I’ve had to learn to cope with it and stand up for myself.

“I feel I’m comfortable doing that after the experience of last year. I’m not worried by it now.”

• 2 months later...

Tyne to deliver

GEORDIE SURE ... Coloccini is certain Toon are top-four class

FABRICIO COLOCCINI last night insisted Newcastle are no one-season wonders and will be challenging for the Champions League again.

The Magpies were tipped for relegation last term but confounded the critics by finishing fifth in the Premier League thanks mainly to sensational strike duo Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse.

Despite that fantastic effort Alan Pardew’s men are already being written off again — but not by Argentinian defender Coloccini.

The Toon skipper, hoping to end a major trophy drought which stretches back to 1969, said: “I’m not interested what the critics think — we are no one-season wonders.

“I accept the Premier League is becoming far more competitive and challenging at the top end of the table is becoming increasingly difficult.

“But we are confident that more success lies ahead. Newcastle are one of the biggest clubs in England and therefore we should be challenging for major honours.

“We don’t feel under any more pressure because of what we achieved last season. If anything, we are relishing the season ahead. Our success has brought with it greater confidence and more determination to do better.

“Last season we more than demonstrated we are a side that can challenge the bigger teams. Up to the last day of the season we were challenging for Champions League football.

“It wasn’t achieved by chance, either. Over the season we showed great consistency and our goal this season is to better that success.

“I don’t expect things to change. The likes of Manchester City, Man United, Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and ourselves will be fighting for the four available Champions League places.

“I’d expect the club to strengthen the squad as well so, with some new players coming in and the current confidence that exists throughout the club, why shouldn’t we be optimistic?”

Coloccini is a massive fan of Toon boss Alan Pardew.

The centre-half added: “He is a fantastic coach and a major influence and driving force behind the success.

“From the first day of last season’s campaign he installed trust and confidence in the players. He felt we were more than capable of challenging the top teams and, when people were expecting us to fall away, we just kept getting stronger and stronger.

“There was no coincidence or luck that we finished so high up in the table — the players thought we would. The only disappointment was that we didn’t finish higher.

“There is a competitive belief and desire to do well. Next season will be no different.”

Coloccini also thinks that Cisse — who scored 13 sensational goals in just 13 starts after his £9million January move from Freiburg — will take his rich form into the next campaign.

The club captain said: “If he continues to play the same way then there is no reason why he shouldn’t be able to outscore everyone. He scares the life out of rival defenders. He is sharp and so unpredictable.

“And, let’s be honest, to challenge you must be scoring goals and we have two strikers who are a match for any in the Premier League.

“Above all else it’s going to come down to hard work and dedication.

“We have had a taste of success and so have the supporters. Both of us want that to continue.

“I can remember the doom and gloom around the place when we got relegated.

“Nobody even thought we would be challenging to come back to the Premier League immediately, they all thought we would struggle again.

“But those bad times have made us far more resilient and far more determined. Nobody wants to suffer like that again and I don’t think they ever will.

“That is not to say we are complacent and believe in our own success.

“We know we will have to work hard and compete at every level and take on every challenge.

“But you only get out what you put in. The players have never been complacent or taken anything for granted.”